1.    #1  
    Hey all, sorry if this has been answered before, did a search but didn't quite find what I was looking for.

Would you say the relationship between Lune OS and Open webOS is more similar to that between a typical Linux distro and the GNU userland/Linux kernel, where Lune OS is a downstream re-packaging/distribution of Open webOS? Or is it more similar to that between OpenBSD and FreeBSD, where they share a common heritage but remain separate entities?

My first thought was that it was intended to be more like a Linux distro, but then I started skimming the GitHub trees for webOS-ports and didn't see much evidence regarding an upstream/downstream relationship. Maybe my "skimming" is to blame here, but a fair number of projects (e.g. luna-next, webos-keyboard) seem to be original projects.
    LuneOS builds on Open webOS, which is not a complete OS - it's just the open-source parts. I'm not sure how that equates with linux distros.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 06/25/2015 at 11:22 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Ah, okay, that makes sense. So it seems a bit like a Linux distro in that parts are pulled in from various places (Open webOS, Sailfish, Android, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    LuneOS builds on Open webOS, which is not a complete OS - it's just the open-source parts. I'm not sure how that equates with linux distros.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    We have forked Open webOS and improved where possible.

LG SVL doesn't actively update Open webOS on public GitHub anymore.

We are happy to send pull requests for things we've fixed/improved.

We'd also be very interested in their work because we understood a lot has been done.

For parts not available in Open webOS we've written our own bits. Luna Next and Luna Next Cardshell for example, but also the webos-keyboard which is based on Maliit and Ubuntu Touch's implementation customized to resemble legacy 3.x / Open webOS EFIGS keyboard. Maliit is a very stable and mature framework also used by MeeGo/Sailfish/Mer/Jolla/Ubuntu. Where possible we look at Jolla/Mer/Sailfish/Ubuntu for their implementations and re-use where we feel it fits us. When not possible we write things from scratch.

Also QT has developed a lot in recent years so we can use a lot of it's features.

A lot of good things have come from MeeGo/Maemo/Tizen as well. Things like BlueZ, Connman, oFono, Maliit are all fully open source and help a great deal for us and also the other OS-es mentioned above.

For our kernel we use Android kernels from CyanogenMod project together with libhybris, wayland and QTWayland.

This way we can use Android binary drivers inside our own distro. This is needed because unfortunately drivers are still all not open source and only available as binary blobs.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    We have forked Open webOS and improved where possible.

LG SVL doesn't actively update Open webOS on public GitHub anymore.

We are happy to send pull requests for things we've fixed/improved.

We'd also be very interested in their work because we understood a lot has been done.

For parts not available in Open webOS we've written our own bits. Luna Next and Luna Next Cardshell for example, but also the webos-keyboard which is based on Maliit and Ubuntu Touch's implementation customized to resemble legacy 3.x / Open webOS EFIGS keyboard. Maliit is a very stable and mature framework also used by MeeGo/Sailfish/Mer/Jolla/Ubuntu. Where possible we look at Jolla/Mer/Sailfish/Ubuntu for their implementations and re-use where we feel it fits us. When not possible we write things from scratch.

Also QT has developed a lot in recent years so we can use a lot of it's features.

A lot of good things have come from MeeGo/Maemo/Tizen as well. Things like BlueZ, Connman, oFono, Maliit are all fully open source and help a great deal for us and also the other OS-es mentioned above.

For our kernel we use Android kernels from CyanogenMod project together with libhybris, wayland and QTWayland.

This way we can use Android binary drivers inside our own distro. This is needed because unfortunately drivers are still all not open source and only available as binary blobs.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Thanks Herrie for your informative post!

I've been interested in Maemo/MeeGo/Sailfish for a while now, good to hear there's some cross-pollination.