Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    Wouldn't it be a nice phone with hw-keyboard to put LuneOs on?

BlackBerry reportedly considering Android for an upcoming smartphone | Android Central
    BlackBerry may release an Android phone | The Verge

Well the shown "Slider" seems a bit big though for one-handed handling and inductive charging should be on board
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Wouldn't it be a nice phone with hw-keyboard to put LuneOs on?

BlackBerry reportedly considering Android for an upcoming smartphone | Android Central
    BlackBerry may release an Android phone | The Verge

Well the shown "Slider" seems a bit big though for one-handed handling and inductive charging should be on board
    I'd buy it if it would be rooted etc Would be a great target to replace my Veer
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    I see there are various theories discussed about whether this would be Android with a Blackberry skin or maybe some newer way of integrating the apps.

If BB make an Android slider (with unlocked boot loader) Then this would be an obvious target for a LuneOS port.

On the other hand, I hope Blackberry survives by following it's own path (and winphone) - I don't want to see a market of two choices only.

Hmmm. Funny idea (that won't happen): Once, Apple licensed the MAC design so like PCs, anyone could make one - it was a bit of a desperate measure as they were going under due to windows dominance...

I'm not saying they should let anyone make iphones, but what if they let other manufacturers use iOS?

Would Samsung put out an iGalaxy? Some say Apple's recent announcements about privacy are really an attack on Google as they are scared of Android taking over. Licensing the OS and services (not the H/W) might pull the rug out from under Google...
    I'd say this is very likely going to happen, and Blackberry will focus on some sort of Enterprise & security separation between core Android and "Blackberry" on the device, much like Samsung KNOX.

I agree that it would be nice to see a 3rd OS differentiate the market, but BB is not the one. If you have a chance to use any of the new BB10 devices, it is so sad to see that it literally is the same OS from the old devices. Android and iOS has just moved so far ahead that its impossible for them to catch up from a feature standpoint.

However, if they adopt Android, and then develop some sort of a BB mode that switches your OS into a secure state and network that will be a big boon for them considering almost all their current customers are all corporations.

Could give them that 2nd life they are looking for.
    I have to disagree, my brother had a Storm (epic, unforgivable failure) I have a Z10, it replaced my G-Nex, which replaced my Veer, which replaced my Pre. (Launch day phone). The new BBOS blows the old one out of the water, your statement is just as ridiculous as saying "WebOS was just a skin over the old Palm OS"). Android is a commodity operating system, BlackBerry would be beyond stupid to attempt to enter a market that has nearly erased Motorola and HTC. Only Samsung makes money in Android land, and even they are desperately trying to differentiate themselves. (Edge displays, gimmick or not, a definite desperate attempt.). If they introduce an android phone, they might as well sell out to HP so they can muck around for a few months before hitting the panic eject button on another once-powerful pillar of mobile technology.
    cbosdell likes this.
    I've never used BB, but I'm inclined to agree with tonymac32 regarding Android. I also don't understand about the app thing which seems to be the selling point for this move. Doesn't BBOS already run Android apps? I guess solutions for this are not seamless.

The latest rumours suggest a choice of OSes. Perhaps BB plan to offer smooth app function with better security?

Of course I'm hoping for BB/Android with an unlocked bootloader: A H/W keyboard slider for LuneOS.
    Especially more so now since supposedly the official name is "BlackBerry Priv". Easily change iv to e.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Ha Ha!

Most seem to think that BB will = Locked Bootloader.

But if not then I look forward to the thread on neatly altering the model name to 'Pre4'.

EDIT: Oh, wait! I'm slow today! PreIV

UPDATE: Wow, universal dislike! I guess the thread for scratching the name off the casing will be over on Crackberry.com!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/24/2015 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Shuswap likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Ha Ha!

Most seem to think that BB will = Locked Bootloader.

But if not then I look forward to the thread on neatly altering the model name to 'Pre4'.

EDIT: Oh, wait! I'm slow today! PreIV

UPDATE: Wow, universal dislike! I guess the thread for scratching the name off the casing will be over on Crackberry.com!
    I really have to wonder if there's Palm fans at BB dev that voted for this name as a nod to the Pre.

Unfortunately it's a ridiculous name and must be changed before it scares away shoppers. Oy vey! If this phone flops we'll never see a rebirth of physical keyboard hardware options.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  10.    #10  
    Sadly the PRIV will be locked down heavily bootloaderwise, cause it's getting even better now with gesturearea on physical keyboard and wireless charging support:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...00-1-a-1043862
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Sadly the PRIV will be locked down heavily bootloaderwise, cause it's getting even better now with gesturearea on physical keyboard and wireless charging support:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...00-1-a-1043862
    Would it being an Android phone perhaps mean more people will be looking to try to unlock the bootloader? Such as the guys at XDA or something like that?
    Here's a thread:
    Root possible? | BlackBerry Priv (Venice) | XDA Forums

Keeps reloading on my TP (BROWSER!!), but I think the gist is no...
    I wouldn't look at it too pessimistically, although I'll have to admit I only skimmed through the thread. Who knows, perhaps a Developer edition comes out with an unlocked bootloader, or maybe a more stripped down Android model if the Priv takes off (not likely I suppose, since Blackberry wouldn't want to kill off BB10)?
    Hmmm...

The thing for me is that this is like the fantasy webOS phone come to life. The keyboard that could be used as a gesture area in the Pre form factor, 2 wireless charging protocols, etc.

However, CEO John Chen has said they'll get out of hardware if this doesn't sell (who is going to buy a possibly dead-end phone?), then they've given it that stupid name. They have also alienated many of their die-hard fans with the move to Android. Every plus comes with a minus.
    • Great Hardware - but BB may stop making hardware.
    • Secure software - but now they're using Android.
    • Venice is a classy name - Oh, it's actually called a... Priv?

You could look at BB as being two companies a company with two aspects: There's the enterprise services and the consumer phones (Note that the US president uses a Blackberry). Enterprise / government may feel safe as there are experts evaluating this stuff and recommending BB for the fat contracts, but the biggest company in the world sells phones to consumers. Blackberry did have a moment when it could have had both these markets. A BB phone is clearly enterprise level tech available to the consumer, but the consumer wants apps, music, photo-sharing or whatever and doesn't really understand security. But if BB kills the phones, what will enterprise use? Either compromise to BYOD or require a security certified device from a competitor (Knox, Blackphone). Possibly BB could cling on by offering their own secured Android on a third party device.

Now it may be that the work they've done to secure Android is actually as good as BB10 or it could even be a cunning strategy to offer a lower level (but still better than the competition) security to the consumer while bringing all the fun of Android. If most BB services run on it, then it's a consumer style interface to the BB eco-system that should help keep it afloat - just possibly even tempting a few to pure Blackberry.

My knowledge of Blackberry is limited, but I'd suggest they do offer this in two flavours: BB Android & Pure BB10 (and change the name). They could offer a developer edition to (at your own risk) install what you like, but there is a slight danger of bad people reselling handsets with malware that looks like the real thing - probably solvable with a secured check in with BB servers.

This way they could satisfy their fans, the broader market and even tinkerers (like us). In fact, there could be an advantage to working with xda developer types who might bring some interesting developments. BB could be an enterprise services company offering high-end and broader appeal devices to the consumer market.

Five Star Security: Enterprise and the Venice BB10
    Four Star Security: Venice Android
    ? Security: Venice Developer Edition (unlocked bootloader for CM / Linux homebrew)

I think the above would work for everyone, but I doubt it will happen.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/24/2015 at 02:50 AM.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I think the game for BB10 is over.

If the Priv is a success BB will stay on Android forever.

If the Priv is a failure BB will pull out of Hardware anyway.

And if it goes the first way BB might turn into a modding company - taking standard Android phones from Samsung or HTC and giving them the corporate / secure BB finish.

That's it. And that is not all too bad, If one would not know what BB (RIM) once was.

So I guess I have to add one to my collection (http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...00-i-just.html).

Question is, should it be the Passport or Classic? The classic is the chronological last BB10 but the Passport obviously the more interesting one (Although then I think about it, there is the Passport SE).
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJoe2 View Post
    I think the game for BB10 is over.

If the Priv is a success BB will stay on Android forever.

If the Priv is a failure BB will pull out of Hardware anyway.

And if it goes the first way BB might turn into a modding company - taking standard Android phones from Samsung or HTC and giving them the corporate / secure BB finish.

That's it. And that is not all too bad, If one would not know what BB (RIM) once was.

So I guess I have to add one to my collection (http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...00-i-just.html).

Question is, should it be the Passport or Classic? The classic is the chronological last BB10 but the Passport obviously the more interesting one (Although then I think about it, there is the Passport SE).
    Although I wonder, if the Priv finds success, BlackBerry might make like Blackphone and fork Android for BB11.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    The construction of this phone makes it a dream platform for the WebOS and I will probably get one when (or if) it comes to Verizon. I may even switch carriers if they aren't releasing one for Verizon. Personally, targeting security is good, but the slide-out keyboard, wireless charging, and BB apps makes this very attractive to a wider audience (especially WebOS holdouts). I have a Z30 and the wireless charging integration is almost as good as what was done in WebOS.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    evleaks tweeted this:
    BlackBerry PRIV

Is this hub any different / better than synergy? I've heard comments that it's good, but aside from apparently integrating all PIM stuff in one place I didn't see anything special in the (admittedly brief) demo.

And yes, porting hopes aside, I can see that a webOS user with cash for a premium phone might decide this is the next best thing. Of course there's uncertainty about the future, but the enterprise services stuff may mean that even if the Priv is the last BB phone, a slow death with on-going updates is more likely than a sudden halt. But a locked bootloader will mean there's no home-brewed afterlife once BB abandons it's hardware.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 10/25/2015 at 08:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    evleaks tweeted this:
    BlackBerry PRIV

Is this hub any different / better than synergy? I've heard comments that it's good, but aside from apparently integrating all PIM stuff in one place I didn't see anything special in the (admittedly brief) demo.

And yes, porting hopes aside, I can see that a webOS user with cash for a premium phone might decide this is the next best thing. Of course there's uncertainty about the future, but the enterprise services stuff may mean that even if the Priv is the last BB phone, a slow death with on-going updates is more likely than a sudden halt. But a locked bootloader will mean there's no home-brewed afterlife once BB abandons it's hardware.
    The simulator must have really sparked interest since that page was pulled after the tweet.

Is the Hub better than synergy? I don't believe so. However it is useful. I found the big win is that things like "mark as read" and "delete" can be done from the Hub instead of having to go into the app. It even supports multi-selection so an operation can be performed on a bunch of messages (Trash the selected emails, texts, facebook notifications, etc.). It also supports multiple views, one that shows the entire notification history (minus those you deleted), and one to show only the unread ones. Pulling down on the list shows you calendar events coming up in the near future.

On BB10 there is no email app, the HUB takes it's place. For many operations this is nice, but sometime I wish there was an app (retrieving an email from the trash is a PITA).
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Preemptive and Rnp like this.
    I really don't care for the hub very much, because if you don't turn off 'show in the hub' there is way too much stuff combined in one view. I would definitely prefer a separate email app.
    Preemptive and Rnp like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast