Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    It’s been a short while since our April LuneOS stable build, “Café au lait”, but we’re very pleased to already present you our latest monthly stable release, Café Bombón or “Bombón” in short. As you can imagine our release notes are not very long, but we’ve still been able to make solid progress on a number of features which have been in the works for quite some time now and there is more to come in the next releases!

The key highlights for this month are rotation/orientation support in the UI, including rotation lock and the capability to send SMS messages directly to a number once entered (non-contacts). We were able to get the build for the Nexus 7 (2012 WiFi) version a.k.a. Grouper working again! There is one little caveat: It will only start to work from the 2nd boot!

More good news on the emulator front as well: We’ve found the cause for the serious performance issues, it should run a lot better now!

Grab your Nexus 4, HP TouchPad, Nexus 7 (2012 WiFi) or emulator and load up our latest builds!

Changelog
    • Nexus 7 2012 WiFi (codename: grouper) is working again! Please make sure to boot it a 2nd time because it doesn’t work at first boot yet.
    • Emulator: Fixed a bug that caused very high CPU usage.
    • luna-sysservice: Reduced a large number of error messages in logs.
    • Preware: Minor UI tweaks to Settings, Feeds and application dialogs.
    • Settings: Add support for PIN & Password screen lock.
    • luna-sysmgr-common: Reduced a large number of error messages in logs.
    • luna-sysmgr-common: Added initial support for LEDs.
    • C+DAV: Updated to 0.3.29, fixing broken Google sync & various other minor fixes.
    • Messaging: Various minor UI fixes.
    • Messaging: Rework of chatthreader to allow sending messages to non-contacts.
    • luna-next: Added initial support for LEDs.
    • Testr: Added tests for HTML5 Geolocation API, Responsive images (using srcset, SVG and -webkit-image-set).
    • luna-next-cardshell: Added UI rotation support & rotation lock!
    • luna-next-cardshell: Added tabbed launcher, including the possibility to drag icons to other tabs.
    • Various options for tab-settings available via Tweaks (including number of tabs, arrows etc). Made the layout look more like legacy webOS (mixture of 2.x and 3.x)
    • luna-next-cardshell: Various UI tweaks, mainly related to the lockscreen and it’s size.
    • webos-keyboard: Fixes to make it work correctly with UI rotation.
    • Some rebranding from WebOS Ports to LuneOS in the sideload installer for Nexus 4 and Nexus 7.
    • Reboot works again
    • Corrected major performance issue with emulator. 140% CPU usage to 8%!

Read more...
    Hmm, I can't seem to see any uImages other than on Tenderloin, and even there all the files are all BIN files (I'm assuming). So I'm guessing we don't need to update for this one (the kernel, I mean)?
    uImage is just for Tenderloin.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Okay, I see.

Do we just save them as files without the bin extension, and load it onto the touchpad?
    Okay, I see.

Do we just save them as files without the bin extension, and load it onto the touchpad?
    Yes sorry for that we had a different guy then normal taking care of getting stuff in the right folders. Just rename it to uImage,

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Wi-Fi on my Touchpad still does not work. Any word on this?
    Tungsten E, Palm T|X, Treo 700p, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pre 2, HP TouchPad 16GB, LG G2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo, LG G Flex2 Volcano Red, Samsung Gear Live, LG Smart TV 32LF595B
    Wi-Fi on my Touchpad still does not work. Any word on this?
    It could be your network somehow. Can you see any networks or nothing at all? We don't have any other reports of non-working wifi.

HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    I tip my hat to the dedicated ones building Lune. I always saw improvements release to release, but these last two have been pretty significant and now I do see a time when I won't have to use HP WebOS anymore...(not that I won't miss it.)

Thanks to all!
    Preemptive likes this.
    Ditto that! Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    It could be your network somehow. Can you see any networks or nothing at all? We don't have any other reports of non-working wifi.

I can't see any networks at all. This happened on the last build also so I don't think it's a problem with my download. It might be.
    Tungsten E, Palm T|X, Treo 700p, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pre 2, HP TouchPad 16GB, LG G2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo, LG G Flex2 Volcano Red, Samsung Gear Live, LG Smart TV 32LF595B
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hunt View Post
    I can't see any networks at all. This happened on the last build also so I don't think it's a problem with my download. It might be.
    Did you update the uImage?
    Marvelous work guys!

Just to have a question too: I know that the Nexus 7 2012 GSM version (tilapia) is not a target, but as I read from different sources, it is almost the same as grouper, so I was wondering whether is it possible to use the grouper image on a tilapia? I'm not that interested in the GSM part (although on the long run it would be cool too), but as I have this device, I would like to make a test run.
    Has anyone tried this? Any experiences?
    +1 I'm just curious as I know someone with a GSM N7. I think it will get the lollipop, but I'm of course assuming LuneOS is better!
    Quote Originally Posted by tylla View Post
    Marvelous work guys!

Just to have a question too: I know that the Nexus 7 2012 GSM version (tilapia) is not a target, but as I read from different sources, it is almost the same as grouper, so I was wondering whether is it possible to use the grouper image on a tilapia? I'm not that interested in the GSM part (although on the long run it would be cool too), but as I have this device, I would like to make a test run.
    Has anyone tried this? Any experiences?
    We haven't tried this. The wifi Touchpad image worked reasonably well on the TP4G. You could try to follow the instructions for the wifi version and install (you need to have Android 4.2.2 on it!) Not sure ClockWorkMod will allow you to flash another image though. Our image doesn't update any firmwares so worse case you'll get a boot loop and can restore using ClockWorkMod

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    I just had an interesting experience. I was playing a YouTube video and the screen dimmed, so I knew it would shut off soon. So I paused the video and hit the power button to turn the screen off and back on, and it went to a black screen with blue vertical lines across it. Had to hold power and home to restart. Screenshot attached (maybe).
    Something I only ever noticed on the Pre3 (well, maybe two things)
    1. Plugging into the Computer with the USB cable (and the screen off) - normal behaviour is to wake up and offer USB mode - sometimes it just kills the phone & I have to reboot it. Plugging in with the screen on seems to avoid it.... so far.
    2. The slow fade to black - not always fatal. I kind of assume the phone is just dimming the screen reeeaaaalllyy slooowly. I think this one has been reported elsewhere. It's like one of those old screen savers where the image kind of crumbles...

I always assumed these were Pre3 specific things, but maybe there is a fault in webOS somewhere..?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I just had an interesting experience. I was playing a YouTube video and the screen dimmed, so I knew it would shut off soon. So I paused the video and hit the power button to turn the screen off and back on, and it went to a black screen with blue vertical lines across it. Had to hold power and home to restart. Screenshot attached (maybe).
    I've seen this as well at times on TP. On N4 the screen can stay off completely not sure they're related. We have bugs open for them though.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Thanks a lot for the grouper-fix, I'll try it in the next few days.

... sorry that I wasn't a help ...
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    As I wrote above, thanks a lot!

I looked through all open tickets and would like to ask, if there's a list beside the tickets, what functionality is missing...

I realized e.g. sound doesn't work, keyboard show only up with a black background (I could not see the dialog behind it, I'm not quite sure, but it seems that the dialog is shown on the left side of the keyboard ...) etc.
    I know I need another supported device (I have to install it on my touchpad the next time I have a little bit of time) to see if those things are related only to the nexus 7...

Nevertheless, I'm really happy to see it running on the nexus 7

sewziq.
    The keyboard is a known issue only showing up with N7, N4, TP and emulator are fine. Sound I'm not sure since I don't have a N7 myself. Works fine on TP and N4 (easiest way to test is to adjust volume up/down and you'll hear the beeps). Could be N7 specific. I remember an issue about N7 that it would crash when sound feedback was enabled on vkb.

There's currently no list of what works and doesn't on which device. I've been looking into it but didn't progress much to be honest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast