Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By MudShark22
  1.    #1  
    I have an Oppo Find 5 lying around. There is a stable CM10.1.2 (android 4.2.2) build. For KK 4.4.x there are only nightlies.

So if one was to attempt to build a luneOS port, would one be better off using the stable 10.1.2 or move right away to KK?

- T
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    LuneOS currently requires 4.2.2, so that is probably what you want.
    LuneOS currently requires 4.2.2, so that is probably what you want.
    No there's no hard requirement for 4.2.2 for new ports only for the Nexus devices because they were initially based on 4.2.2 and never upgraded so far (different priorities). The Touchpad build is based on 4.4.x for example.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    No there's no hard requirement for 4.2.2 for new ports only for the Nexus devices because they were initially based on 4.2.2 and never upgraded so far (different priorities). The Touchpad build is based on 4.4.x for example.

OH.. that's very different from how it's been explained up until now. I thought you said it was important because of the kernel development - is that just for the Nexus? So confused.
    OH.. that's very different from how it's been explained up until now. I thought you said it was important because of the kernel development - is that just for the Nexus? So confused.
    No when the initial ports were done we were stil, in CM 10.1 era (Android 4.2.2). Our build is based on this for the Nexus devices, a newer Android version on your device might get the port running however certain parts might not work due to different firmwares and driver combo's. The Nexus 4 port can run on top of 4.4.x (at least a while back havem't tried it recently), however wifi won't work then because we expect certain firmware version/driver combo which is only available in 4.2.2.

The Nexus devices are overdue an update. We almost completed the 4.4.x upgrade for the Nexus 4 a few months back but had to pull it last minute from the release due to some show stopper bug(s).

Just focus has recently more been on getting new features (rotation, SMS, data, bluetooth, phone calls etc working as well as continuesly upgrading all the packages we use like QT) instead of actually getting it based on 4.4.x for the Nexus devices.

The actual porting requires quite specific kernel knowledge while some of the other bits can also be done with other devs. Unfortunately our kernel devs are scarce and sometimes have real life stuff to deal with. If we would have a team that would be bigger or wouldn't only consist of volunteers I'm sure it would go quicker. Unfortunately we don't have a dedicated (paid) team at this time like Jolla or Ubuntu.

We'll get to a newer Android version eventually, it's just a matter of time, for new devices there's no reason not to start from CM11 (or maybe even CM12 (not sure about that)) right away.

HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Preemptive likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Is it likely in your opinion that one would be more successful using a stable CM version over a buggy nightly as a base?

Personally, I would switch to the Oppo as my daily driver and leave the GNex for luneOS if that was installable.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Is it likely in your opinion that one would be more successful using a stable CM version over a buggy nightly as a base?

Personally, I would switch to the Oppo as my daily driver and leave the GNex for luneOS if that was installable.
    Personally, I would probably use the stable. For now. I have been using my oppo find5 on Android 5, and... well.... Things just don't work well..... But, the features that don't work well (Bluetooth, consistent APN joining) aren't really supported by LuneOS yet. Even when I was on 4.4.* I had issues.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  8.    #8  
    It was buggy when I was using a 4.3 ROM. lol

If I get a dedicated laptop for ubuntu, I am going to set up a build environment for luneOS and try.
    What the he77 right?
    dkirker likes this.