Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrew Hunt
  1.    #1  
    So the LG Optimus G and Nexus 4 are identical spec-wise, aside from the camera, and I was wondering if LuneOS could be ported to that phone without much work. Also, would we have to use the unlocked version or could the Sprint/AT&T version work?
    Tungsten E, Palm T|X, Treo 700p, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pre 2, HP TouchPad 16GB, LG G2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo, LG G Flex2 Volcano Red, Samsung Gear Live, LG Smart TV 32LF595B
    mrmarquis9 likes this.
    It's possible we just need developers on board
  3.    #3  
    How would the porting process work? I really would like to help, just don't know where to start. Plus, last time I checked, the porting page just kind of cut off randomly.
    Tungsten E, Palm T|X, Treo 700p, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pre 2, HP TouchPad 16GB, LG G2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo, LG G Flex2 Volcano Red, Samsung Gear Live, LG Smart TV 32LF595B
    You are right, the page ( Porting Guide - WebOS-Ports ) cuts of in a strange place.. that can't be right...

How much experience do you have? Do you have a buildsystem ready? Can you already build images for the N4? If not, that would be the first thing I'd look into.

After that the porting guide is probably still the best place to start... or joining the IRC and see if somebody (probably morphis) can answer your questions. Basically I'd say you have to copy most N4 stuff and modify just some bits... but I have no clue about that.
  5.    #5  
    I have a little bit of experience, but my Optimus G is currently a bit broken, somehow the LCD cracked but the glass did not, and when I have some free time I will fix it. I do not have anything ready yet, just wanted to see if it was possible before I go doing a bunch of work. Once I get my Optimus G fixed and, if need be, get my Nexus 4 back from my dad, I'll definitely attempt this!
    Actually the best way to see if a port is feasible or not is to see if there is a cyanogenmod image for the device or not... because LuneOS takes some parts from cyanogen. But even if there is an image, it's no safe bet, yet... for example two people failed to build LuneOS for the N5, because it uses a much newer version of android as base than LuneOS does (currently still 4.2.2 or so? Not 100% sure).
  7.    #7  
    Oh I know the Optimus G definitely has CyenogenMod available. I actually used it before, but it was the KitKat one
    (11?) but I think there is a 4.2 available...or at least make-able since LG left it off at 4.1.x on Sprint.