Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
    Read the latest article on pivotCE. Does that mean that the build you guys just released fixed the memory leak on the Touchpad, or is that still to come in April? If it's fixed now, then that is just super awesome!
    That should be fixed in general. At least the big bug that was present and causing frequent reboots. I'm sure the memory usage can use some tweaking in general still, but that would apply to N4 as well ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Is mochi selectable / optional? I was surprised to see this at all as I thought it was low-prority, but perhaps it's someone's particular interest. I understand it could add a modern look, but I know some don't like 'flat'.

Maybe I'm demonstrating my ignorance in assuming it's just a skin.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 03/12/2015 at 10:41 AM.
    Is mochi selectable / optional? I was surised to see this at all as I thought it was low-prority, but perhaps it's someone's particular interest. I understand it could add a modern look, but I know some don't like 'flat'.

Maybe I'm demonstrating my ignorance in assuming it's just a skin.
    It's more then just a skin/theme. I think we'll eventually go there anyway. For QML we need to create reusable components and it makes sense to go with Mochi. Most people aren't a big fan of Onyx either. We'll likely end up with a "light Mochi" that was showcased and released by the Enyo team and a "dark Mochi" which is somewhat like Onyx but with the more modern Mochi layout. This is all very much still work in progress and in very early stages. It will most likely first be applied to QML apps (Phone, Browser, FirstUse) and later the Enyo 2 apps might get converted.

HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    i2y4n likes this.
    Nooooo Mochi!! I'm tired of hearing how 'modern' it is. Don't ruin the UI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Nooooo Mochi!! I'm tired of hearing how 'modern' it is. Don't ruin the UI.
    I expected this reaction from some people
    I'm personally not a very big fan of Mochi in it's entirety. It has some nice things to it, but also things I personally don't like.

The current problem with LuneOS is that there's not much of a consistent style:

1. Enyo 1 apps with legacy look & feel (A mix of Heritage (Mojo bits) & Onyx.
    2. Enyo 2 apps with Onyx (similar to Enyo 1 but not quite the same).
    3. QML apps with a different look & feel as well.

We want to unify this to some extend and also modernize it a bit. Using Mochi as a base for all is a good start and then to have a dark variant as well.

I'm quite sure we're not going anything full fledged Mochi anytime soon. Just currently we're working on at least have QML components standardized so we can re-use those across applications instead of defining them in each application. For the future we'll be looking at the Enyo 1 and 2 apps.
    i2y4n likes this.
    Please don't unify on anything resembling Mochi. I beg you. The QML widgets there already resemble Onyx and webOS 3.0, and I think it looks good (though frankly, even 3.0 is not nearly as good as 2.x).
    Please don't unify on anything resembling Mochi. I beg you. The QML widgets there already resemble Onyx and webOS 3.0, and I think it looks good (though frankly, even 3.0 is not nearly as good as 2.x).
    People could always "Theme" going forward if they want. As the project team we want to provide an unified UI experience to the users. Our resources are limited but we're happy to accept input from other people and have more options available.

Unfortunately with things like this there's no way to please everyone..... Taste is very subjective
    Does that mean that Theme Manager from sconix may work with LuneOS now?
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Does that mean that Theme Manager from sconix may work with LuneOS now?
    No not very likely. It hasn't been tested and seeing we build the UI from scratch in LuneOS I'd give it 0,01% chance.

Pardon my ignorance, but does the theme affect the keyboard design? I preferred the keyboard layout of stock WebOS over the larger keys currently in Lune, and would be thrilled to return to that layout.
    I think they keyboard came from something else.. I don't think they can lift the webOS keyboard and make it work. I would prefer smaller keys too, but I figure they're not done tweaking the keyboard so I haven't worried about it.

Mochi on the other hand I have very strong feelings about. I know my opinion is the only one that matters, right?
    Mochi on the other hand I have very strong feelings about. I know my opinion is the only one that matters, right?
    He who makes the code, is the only one that it matters for in the end!
    I think they keyboard came from something else.. I don't think they can lift the webOS keyboard and make it work. I would prefer smaller keys too, but I figure they're not done tweaking the keyboard so I haven't worried about it.

Legacy webOS and Open webOS used EFIGS (English, French, Italian, German, Spanish) for keyboard layout and was written in QT 4.8. We use QT 5 for Luna Next UI and decided to go for the open source Maliit framework that's compatible with QT 5 and is also used in other open source projects. The keyboard layout needs some tweaking still indeed, especially on the TP. On the N4 is looks quite OK.

The main reason for these huge buttons on the keyboard is that it is the same for all devices... and currently is mostly tweaked to be fine on the Nexus4... it is usable on the N4. But it could need a lot of tweaking in general.

we probably need a way to switch keyboard layouts. For different devices maybe but at least for landscape and portrait modes. Not sure if that is in the works or possible or so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    The main reason for these huge buttons on the keyboard is that it is the same for all devices... and currently is mostly tweaked to be fine on the Nexus4... it is usable on the N4. But it could need a lot of tweaking in general.

we probably need a way to switch keyboard layouts. For different devices maybe but at least for landscape and portrait modes. Not sure if that is in the works or possible or so...
    Sensors is being worked on, so we can have proper orientation support. We can then also make certain parts of the UI to be portrait or landscape more easily.
    I have very strong feelings about the keyboard (though I only tested it in the emulator a while back). Having a keyboard that can have multiple sizes is important to me, but having one with a numbers-row is crucial. Having to perform an additional action to enter a number goes both against the Zen of Palm and the Flow of WebOS. Also, if I remeber correctly, the Enter-button was at a really bad place. So, yeah, for me the current keyboard might be a dealbreaker to use LuneOS...

]Mochi on the other hand I have very strong feelings about. I know my opinion is the only one that matters, right?
    As for Mochi (I'm not talking about the grayness of Eel*); I think it's a good basis to work on, although I feel the final design should be somewhere between (v1) Onyx and Mochi (I don't really like Enyo2 Onyx). And if the team needs someone to work on sketches and designs for the stock apps and general look/feel, then I'm willing to help them with that.

* Eel included - as presented in the Verge article - the design of the OS, Mochi that of the apps (Enyo). While they are - and should be - related, they are not the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    I have very strong feelings about the keyboard (though I only tested it in the emulator a while back). Having a keyboard that can have multiple sizes is important to me, but having one with a numbers-row is crucial. Having to perform an additional action to enter a number goes both against the Zen of Palm and the Flow of WebOS. Also, if I remeber correctly, the Enter-button was at a really bad place. So, yeah, for me the current keyboard might be a dealbreaker to use LuneOS...

As for Mochi (I'm not talking about the grayness of Eel*); I think it's a good basis to work on, although I feel the final design should be somewhere between (v1) Onyx and Mochi (I don't really like Enyo2 Onyx). And if the team needs someone to work on sketches and designs for the stock apps and general look/feel, then I'm willing to help them with that.

* Eel included - as presented in the Verge article - the design of the OS, Mochi that of the apps (Enyo). While they are - and should be - related, they are not the same.
    The keyboard needs TLC, there was work done before (including the number row which is crucial for me too ) for this but we ran into other issues that prevented them from being used properly. These bugs have been sorted recently (as of last month). So once we have the current bunch of features that are being worked on more or less working, some focus could go to some more TLC for the keyboard and continuing the work that was done already to give it a more webOS-y feel.

We'll have a "Eel" (light grey) and a "darker" more "Onyx"-like variant of Mochi. At least that's what we're aiming for
    *makes grumpy old man noise*
    *makes grumpy old man noise*
    So are you going to patch it or just go right ahead and fork it?

"LuneOS: Grabber5.0 edition"
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    So are you going to patch it or just go right ahead and fork it?

"LuneOS: Grabber5.0 edition"

No fork please, share efforts!

LuneOS: Grabber5.0 Theme

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast