Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    You're correct... And the same kernel daemon does a lot of stuff in processing user input and makes the data available in a convenient format. But being a "black box" of compiled code, it has to be studied before it can be put to use or a replacement can be built. It's just one of the examples of purpose-built code that we don't have the source code for.

I think it was that back/forward gestures are calculated by the daemon rather than handing raw driver data to LunaSysMgr, and that it had some interlocking behavior with the old LunaSysMgr, which would have to be re-implemented from scratch, and that's at least a week's work for someone who knows what to do. And the hurdles add up to the point that qualified devs here prefer smaller projects where they'd know that everything is straightforward and won't consume a lot of their free time while being perceived as unimportant.

Nobody wants to touch the ugly stuff they won't get much thanks for fixing, when there are equally important things no-one has time for.

Yeah, we were lucky with the Touchpad in both, having the Android drivers, and in having an Open Source copy of LunaSysMgr to build LunaCE from.

I think some of the drivers would have to be written from scratch, another difficult but unglamourous job. With the Touchpad, we had Qualcomm prototypes that ran Android, but with the phones, the only thing lemanho was able to obtain from Chinese sources was a couple of Veers with diagnostic firmware. The Android prototypes were likely reflashed to webOS before they made it out of the lab. But some of those newer components may have Android drivers for another device, so you're not that far off.

Those Android drivers, however, may also require different firmware to be flashed onto those chips. There's a 100% chance of that being the case with the camera module, if it was used in another phone besides the Pre2/3

It's definitely possible, but it requires a specific skill set, so not every willing person is qualified, and not every qualified person has free time...

The Oppo Find5 has a "gesture area" that can be put to use, but it's a 5" slab phone with no LTE. So nobody wants to port to it. If i had a better paying job, i'd fund that project myself.

I tend to agree with you. With small production volumes, phones are likely to be $600 apiece, and the manufacturer would want to do a run of 3,000... so... while it's doable, there can never be an agreement among the community where everyone will be willing to pay that much for a phone they percieve as being either too big or too small... nitpicking comes with the pricepoint, and will likely poison the effort.

I'm not being pessimistic, just looking at the difficulties first, because the positive aspects, well, we know them already
    Well there was actually someone who tried LunaCE on a Pre3, but got stuck:

LunaCE on Pre3 - WebOS-Ports
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Well there was actually someone who tried LunaCE on a Pre3, but got stuck:

LunaCE on Pre3 - WebOS-Ports
    Thanks, i didn't realize there was actually a project to make it happen... over two years ago...

"This page was last modified on 14 September 2012, at 18:57."
    I was thinking about that stick on keyboard for iphone. I think backed by some celeb & survived being sued by blackberry. So you stick one on your android phone with it's 'gesture area' and now you have a truly franken-pre!

Then I saw this:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...for-your-jolla
    Thanks, i didn't realize there was actually a project to make it happen... over two years ago...

There was but abandoned.... I think that we simply have to accept that the legacy phones are a lost cause for future development. I'd love it to be different, but it's not unfortunately. I cannot work properly with on screen keyboards, just cannot get used to them no matter how hard I try. Call me old-school, but that's me.

If they would release a Veer 2, that would be my phone. I love the size, battery could be a bit better, size maybe a little bigger, though I'm happy with it, more ram, more cpu and storage and I'd be a very happy camper
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  5.    #25  
    It would be interesting to know if it was abandoned due to lack of time (it's not like on the site it says : abandoned due to being impossible).

The jolla ability to add modules on the back is interesting, and that keyboard looks solid and with a good magnetic power. The pity part, personally, is the overall design... it's too blocky, lacks personality

Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    It would be interesting to know if it was abandoned due to lack of time (it's not like on the site it says : abandoned due to being impossible).

The jolla ability to add modules on the back is interesting, and that keyboard looks solid and with a good magnetic power. The pity part, personally, is the overall design... it's too blocky, lacks personality
    It's not that it's not -possible-, but someone would need to build a LunaCE build system using the webOS 2.2.4 environment instead of the webOS 3.0.5 environment .. and you might possibly have to build additional components (such as Qt 4.8?) with it as well. It's probably not possible simply by copying files from a TouchPad.

Of course, LunaCE's support for non-tablet devices is ... well, not good. But there's no reason it couldn't be done. And improved upon. Anyone that was working on LunaCE before, though is now either gone, or working on LuneOS. Certainly nothing stopping anyone from picking it up, though.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Good point.

Are these buttons permanently present? Do they vanish when using an app? What about a full screen video? I'm wondering about use of screen estate and aspect ratios. For example, taking 16:9 as a TV standard widescreen, most motion media will conform to this. So are modern mobile screens 16:9 or longer to allow for a control area? I'd expect a phone with physical buttons to have a 16:9 screen, but with software buttons, I'd guess the screen would either be bigger or the button panel would pop-up or vanish like an on-screen keyboard.

Yes, I am quite ignorant of other systems! ;-)

A longer screen with permanent buttons would indeed make a good gesture area while retaining a standard ratio. It might even be possible to enhance the area with tapable buttons (e.g. player controls for a video) whilst retaining the functions of the standard swipe actions.
    I can confidently say that this idea you have would be about 79.56% successful. A lot of android custom roms support changing of on screen buttons, but that requires root. LG however, has that very ability, or most of it, in use without root. Mostly on phones like the G3, G4, G Flex2, and G2 with lollipop update. As far as I know, phones and tablets with on screen buttons are not any taller than those with physical buttons. The on screen buttons do disappear in certain applications like YouTube and the video player, but LG also has a setting to hide them in the application of choice aside from a few. They are brought back with a swipe from wherever the status bar or navigation keys were last prestent, and it depends on the orientaion of the phone as well. I sure hope that this is somehow useful.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12