Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By i2y4n
  • 2 Post By MAMISHO
  • 2 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By albertguedes
  1.    #1  
    Hi, i am a big fan of LuneOS / WebOS, and i think that it may be more popular if its port to more popular smarthphones or tablets, namely, cheaper, more simple and very sold to be possible to reach more users.

I would like to know what you think, and if you have any suggestion smarthphone to start such a project ?
    Sorry, but there's not enough devs to maintain a large number of device ports. Even the popular and widely available 2012 Nexus 7 is currently "broken" for the lack of a maintainer, so nightlies don't work and you have to use an older image. Everyone is stretched thin trying to keep up with the workload.

But any phone or tablet that has a CyanogenMod or ParanoidAndroid ROM for it, is fair game. There just has to be someone to take responsibility and maintain it themselves
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    And remember that LuneOS is still in early Alpha. It doesn't even have messaging or calling yet. When things are further along you'll see more porting options.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    And remember that LuneOS is still in early Alpha. It doesn't even have messaging or calling yet. When things are further along you'll see more porting options.
    Hi, now nexus 4 can do calls
    Grabber5.0 and elvispre like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by albertguedes View Post
    Hi, i am a big fan of LuneOS / WebOS, and i think that it may be more popular if its port to more popular smarthphones or tablets, namely, cheaper, more simple and very sold to be possible to reach more users.

I would like to know what you think, and if you have any suggestion smarthphone to start such a project ?
    So, are you saying you will do this project? If not, see the other replies. If you are, then the answer is fairly simple - LuneOS is a rewrite of Open webOS to use Open source Android drivers, so any device that has those is a possibility. I'm no expert, but I think LuneOS can potentially run on any linux device with open-source drivers. The current targets are widely available, affordable and (in the case of the TouchPad) in the hands of webOS enthusiasts.

One other example is the RaspberryPi. It's not a phone or a tablet, but it's extremely affordable, over 2 million are out there and it's specifically aimed at 'tinkerers' - those more likely to develop the system. Work on a port has been done, but needs updating. Perhaps getting that working could be a good start?
    Remy X and MAMISHO like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MAMISHO View Post
    Hi, now nexus 4 can do calls
    Can it? I didn't manage to test that yet, nor I heard anything about it from the dev
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    A phone that can run Windows, Android & FFOS could run LuneOS (assuming an unlocked bootloader!)

It's called a Pixi...

Alcatel's new Pixi smartphone can run Windows, Android, or Firefox OS | The Verge
    albertguedes likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    A phone that can run Windows, Android & FFOS could run LuneOS (assuming an unlocked bootloader!)

It's called a Pixi...

Alcatel's new Pixi smartphone can run Windows, Android, or Firefox OS | The Verge
    Is the first thing that i think when i see the new about alcatel. May be a chance to popularizate the LuneOS with a port for this new palm devices.
    Preemptive likes this.