Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    If LuneOS ever did come out with a phone of its own. Just for fun what cool names would you call it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    If LuneOS ever did come out with a phone of its own. Just for fun what cool names would you call it.
    After 3 years with my Pre3, well, I love it but I still miss my Tro 650. By some aspects it was better than the Pre : direct buttons for main functions, the "sym" key behaviour was far better than the pre's one (especially for letters' accentuation : for french people that's important ), I still miss the stylus, etc...

So the best LuneOS phone will mix the best aspects of the Pre and the Tro. The name is easy to find, it will be "PrPrPr$o$&$quot$; !
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Preo - that has some charme to it, indeed. Though I cant help but think of a cookie brand

I have a Centro I didnt use much, could you elaborate on the sym key advantage of the Treo? I'm very comfortable with typing German on my Pre3. Cant really imagine how it could be faster besides having separate keys for , and
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJoe2 View Post
    Preo - that has some charme to it, indeed. Though I cant help but think of a cookie brand

I have a Centro I didnt use much, could you elaborate on the sym key advantage of the Treo? I'm very comfortable with typing German on my Pre3. Cant really imagine how it could be faster besides having separate keys for , and
    That's great! ;-)

I forsee threads on the Preoreo syndrome.
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    well, only if its a slider

Is there any sliderphone new on the market 2014 or 2015. I guess not...

On the treo I started typing the letter then the "sym" key. Doing so, I got a sliding list of accentuations possible for this letter, and also nearest "special symbols" (ie typing an open parenthesis then I could get [ or { with sym key). The most used combination (ie or in france) was selected by default so I only had to type "space" or to slide down with the cursor button and type space to select the letter. The best side of it was I never had to touch the screen (well that also was a way to select the letter, but more uncomfortable) to select the needed key.

On the Pre, I can only get "" "" "" or "" using the "white shift key" and "a" "z" "q" or "s" key. For any other accentuated letter, I have to type the "sym"key first, then either :
    1- slide down the selection box, which has all the special characters, to select the needed accentuated letter (guess what... they're not at the beginning of the list...)
    2- or type the needed letter, so the Pre limits the box to this letter, with the possible accents. They're no sense in the sorting of these

Any choice, I've got to touch the screen to select the letter, even if it's selected by default. Slow, and far from the ease of use of the Tro.

I know, it's also linked to the fact that the Pre has no cursor key, but this key is one of the big missing things on the pre (how many times did we regret its absence, ie to get the cursor on letter back... Sometimes a "keyboard-only" interface has much more precision and ease of use than touchscreens...) : for example, a minimal behaviour like typing the sym key to slide through proposals, and selecting with space, would be a huge progress...
    Remy X likes this.
    I think we should call it Frē
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by lc_lol View Post
    O...

On the Pre, I can only get "" "" "" or "" using the "white shift key" and "a" "z" "q" or "s" key. For any other accentuated letter, I have to type the "sym"key first, then either :
    1- slide down the selection box, which has all the special characters, to select the needed accentuated letter (guess what... they're not at the beginning of the list...)
    2- or type the needed letter, so the Pre limits the box to this letter, with the possible accents. They're no sense in the sorting of these

Any choice, I've got to touch the screen to select the letter, even if it's selected by default. Slow, and far from the ease of use of the Tro.

I know, it's also linked to the fact that the Pre has no cursor key, but this key is one of the big missing things on the pre (how many times did we regret its absence, ie to get the cursor on letter back... Sometimes a "keyboard-only" interface has much more precision and ease of use than touchscreens...) : for example, a minimal behaviour like typing the sym key to slide through proposals, and selecting with space, would be a huge progress...
    I use a U.S. Pre2 / webOS 2.2.4 and I can get accented/alternate characters without leaving the keyboard.

Sym key > "a" limits the options to possible variations on "a" and "A" plus punctuations
    -Additional press of "a" scrolls through that list
    -Additional press of Sym key inserts the currently selected character from the symbol pop-up.

So at least in webOS 2.2.4 it works as you'd like but using different keys.
    -hth!
    GoJoe2 and lc_lol like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    I use a U.S. Pre2 / webOS 2.2.4 and I can get accented/alternate characters without leaving the keyboard.

Sym key > "a" limits the options to possible variations on "a" and "A" plus punctuations
    -Additional press of "a" scrolls through that list
    -Additional press of Sym key inserts the currently selected character from the symbol pop-up.

So at least in webOS 2.2.4 it works as you'd like but using different keys.
    -hth!
    Oh my gosh, how can I have been living 3 years without that ???

Thx a lot !!!
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Thanks for the tip. Didn't know about that either.
    Thanks for the tip. Didn't know about that either.
    Glad I could help!

Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    I think we should call it Frē
    Back on topic, I like Frē but I unfortunately don't foresee anybody building a portrait slider for anything less than prototype pricing...
    Here's to hoping that LuneOS might someday run on Pre2/Pre3 hardware and we can call those Frēs.
    I don't know... A device with the name Frē just sounds cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Rimshot!
    ...and, "Lune" sounds crazy, so there ya go! ;-)
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    The Priceē? The Luxureē?

Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    Rimshot!
    ...and, "Lune" sounds crazy, so there ya go! ;-)
    The Crazeē?
    shicky256 likes this.
    We could start picking lunar features to use as names.

Copernicus?
    Mare?
    Tycho?
    Imbrium? (I like that. Sounds important. As it should!)

Plenty of seas and craters. We could even get a little hipster with it and pick craters no one has ever heard of, like Sacrobosco, or Poncelet.

On a more "it might actually work" note, I think "Crescent" would be a good name. Goes with the logo.
  16.    #16  
    Who makes LuneOS. WebOS ports?. Is webOS ports a division of Internalz. Did they change their name.
    "Apollo" of course!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    lc_lol and krotech like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    Who makes LuneOS. WebOS ports?. Is webOS ports a division of Internalz. Did they change their name.
    One emerged from the other. Related but separate, though obviously, some webOS-Internals devs are now webOS-Ports devs. Essentially, Internals fixes up your Legacy devices, Ports is the new system.
    WebOS-Ports:About - WebOS-Ports
    WebOS Internals:About - WebOS Internals
    Looney, Luna, Lune, Palmy

Or something sinister, like "Leo_Loon"
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  20.    #20  
    Normally you have company name then model name then software. So I think webOSports needs a new cool company type name.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast