Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree29Likes
    Enyo apparently took many of it's ideas from early incarnations of QML. Learning that little tidbit allowed me to rapidly understand QML a lot better than if I hadn't known Enyo 1 pretty decently.

QML is basically a different way of doing a user interface than HTML. And it's backed by Javascript..

QML things will probably likely be considerably faster than things which go through the WebKit engine, simply based on just how monstrous WebKit and a full DOM system is. But I don't really know how Lune handles the QML stuff, so that's just speculation on my part. I'd think it would be actually difficult to make QML slower than WebKit at anything, though.

If given a choice between using QML and using Enyo to build something, if it did not need to be cross platform, I would most likely pick QML. If it did need to be cross platform, or had user interface requirements that were easily implementable using existing Enyo things, then I'd consider Enyo. But if I were going to be writing everything from the base anyway.....

QML basically runs on webOS, BB10, and .. Sailfish? and I think Ubuntu is starting to do some stuff with it also. I don't know where else it is used. Theoretically you could also use it on Android and iOS, but I'm not real sure what the steps involved with that are. I know you can't just go and run QML on Android/iOS, you have to build an app that has the QML engine in it...
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Getting something working quickly is a lot easier compared to Enyo. I managed to build a pretty OK working browser without any prior QML knowledge. Doing the same in Enyo would be more difficult. Also performance wise QML has some advantages it seems.

Both can work fine though. Just QML is easier to learn and debug :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    is Lune running Qt 5.4 yet? I'd like to be able to play around with WebEngine in a realistic environment.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    is Lune running Qt 5.4 yet? I'd like to be able to play around with WebEngine in a realistic environment.
    Nightlies are on 5.4 I believe, but without WebEngine so far (WIP for that still, since it's not released to public yet by QT/Digia). I expect it to hit our nightlies sometime in the near future too though
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  4.    #44  
    All these technological advances have unfortunately created stability problems, so the next official builds will be delayed for hopefully a short period while the various issues are resolved.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123