Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chairman Honeycrisp
  1.    #1  
    What is the correct way to update the Lune.OS images.

Is there a way to update only using LuneOS, instead of depending on webOS?

can you just over write current image? or do you need to format image and start again?

I have used this to over write, keeps setting and accounts.

mount -o remount,rw /
    mount /dev/store/luneos-root /media/luneos-root
    cd /media/internal
    tar xzf webos-ports-dev-image-tenderloin.tar.gz -C /media/luneos-root

or for non dev image which i use. (less logging)

tar xzf webos-ports-image-tenderloin.tar.gz -C /media/luneos-root

I have also used format image but it erase all setting and accounts
    need to remove "$" had to use to allow posting in forum.

mount /dev/store/luneos-root /media/luneos-root
    r$m -rf /media/luneos-root/*
    cd /media/internal
    tar xzf webos-ports-dev-image-tenderloin.tar.gz -C /media/luneos-root

or for non dev image which i use. (less logging)

tar xzf webos-ports-image-tenderloin.tar.gz -C /media/luneos-root
    Last edited by Firepower; 10/30/2014 at 09:48 PM.
    The recommended method is at the bottom of this page http://webos-ports.org/wiki/Install_...for_Tenderloin
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    I seem to forget it every month: How to update on all the other devices? Is cache (+ dalvic cache?) enough or is a data wipe needed?

This should be listet on Install LuneOS for Mako - WebOS-Ports etc!
    Last edited by pattyland; 08/05/2015 at 05:39 PM.
    For Mako I usually just flash the new dev-package using the recovery bootloader thingie and adb sideload. It keeps the data partition, but clears out var, i.e. system has to be setup again and most apps loose there information, too.

And yes, we are still missing a proper OTA update mechanism. I'm to blame for that, I fear...
    Hey,

I've been looking into the viability of writing a simple update script for HP Touchpad, mostly because I feel too lazy to type down the commands to install LuneOS every. single. time. I don't know how far along the OTA mechanism has been going but what I had in mind was basically something that consisted of wget-ing the build, then tar into the LuneOS partition. Given the Touchpad's heavily Linux based nature, it's a lot simpler (especially for a noob like me) to bring that about, except for one thing.

It appears as though novacom in xterm cannot detect the Touchpad itself. I'm fairly new to webOS, so is there a way of being able to connect to xterm? Otherwise, there appears to be the simple workaround of cp-ing uImage to /boot, unless there's something really big that I'm missing. Btw, I'm trying to see if the script can be run from webOS, to eliminate the need to connect to a computer and the like. If it works out, I could even add a dialog to choose between the latest nightly and stable feeds. Of course, if the OTA mechanism is on its way then I probably won't bother.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Hey,

I've been looking into the viability of writing a simple update script for HP Touchpad, mostly because I feel too lazy to type down the commands to install LuneOS every. single. time. I don't know how far along the OTA mechanism has been going but what I had in mind was basically something that consisted of wget-ing the build, then tar into the LuneOS partition. Given the Touchpad's heavily Linux based nature, it's a lot simpler (especially for a noob like me) to bring that about, except for one thing.

It appears as though novacom in xterm cannot detect the Touchpad itself. I'm fairly new to webOS, so is there a way of being able to connect to xterm? Otherwise, there appears to be the simple workaround of cp-ing uImage to /boot, unless there's something really big that I'm missing. Btw, I'm trying to see if the script can be run from webOS, to eliminate the need to connect to a computer and the like. If it works out, I could even add a dialog to choose between the latest nightly and stable feeds. Of course, if the OTA mechanism is on its way then I probably won't bother.
    You wouldn't need Novacom. You can just wget the uImage and cp it over.

A bash script should be fairly easy to make, you just need to add the 2 wgets and a cp, rest you can copy from the wiki. You might need to adjust the order a bit for the uImage

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    I haven't been following the instructions for the uImage portion for some time, as I didn't see any reason I couldn't copy it to the device via USB the same as the zip file, then just copy it over the previous uImage. It would be very easy to script.. not sure why I haven't done it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I haven't been following the instructions for the uImage portion for some time, as I didn't see any reason I couldn't copy it to the device via USB the same as the zip file, then just copy it over the previous uImage. It would be very easy to script.. not sure why I haven't done it yet.
    I was thinking the same thing, just decided to err on the side of caution seeing that it was a kernel and all...

Anyways, apparently Xterm doesn't have the "dialog" command? That's a bit of a let down. I had the whole thing written, but then it wouldn't run on my Touchpad because of that >.<

Gonna need to use a different command... Perhaps read or something like that works on the Touchpad? I was writing a dialog box to be able to choose between stable an nightly, and then another one to offer to delete the leftover files when done.
    Last edited by Chairman Honeycrisp; 09/03/2015 at 12:45 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Would be good if we could install using TWRP like nexus 4, I only use webOS now just for LuneOS updates.
    would be good if we did not need to use webOS to create LuneOS partition and update.
    LuneOS depends on CM Android and it definetly has that, which also uses TWRP.
    any other device builds will be CM also, so we should promote insalls no dependent on webOS.
    Okay, so it looks like there's a significant difference with how webOS handles options. I'm getting a syntax error on line 13 when running the script on my Touchpad (everything works fine on Linux Mint).

/media/internal/downloads/luneos-update: line 13: syntax error: unexpected "("
    I have stripped down versions of the script which I'm about to test, that contain no text dialogs. I have copy pasted the first 13 lines of the code, and attached the whole thing for anyone who wants to take a look. Hopefully I'm not doing anything really noobish...

#!/bin/bash
    # LuneOS Update Experiment

# Welcome Message + Possible Disclaimers and Stuff
    #Less Pretty Text Based Command
    echo "Hello!

This is a simple script that will attempt to download and install the latest stable/nightly build of LuneOS on your HP Touchpad. Please make sure to back up any important data, as everything on your LuneOS partition will be wiped. Also, this is an experimental script, and has the ability to break your device. But then again, so do you.

WARNING: This WILL NOT work on your Nexus 4 or Nexus 7.

Type 'Stable' to install the nearest stable build, 'Nightly' for nightly, and 'Quit' or 'Ctrl-C' to terminate installation."
    options=("Stable" "Nightly" "Quit")
    select opt in "${options[@]}"
    do
    PS. In case you do look at the whole script, you might have noticed I screwed up something with download directories. Fixed that, but haven't updated yet.

Fixed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Chairman Honeycrisp; 09/04/2015 at 04:36 PM.