Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I'm having trouble installing LuneOS on the Nexus 7 (Grouper - 2012, wifi only).
    I've followed the guide here: Install LuneOS for Grouper - WebOS-Ports

It's a pretty simple guide, and everything seems to go fine up until the point I try to reboot into LuneOS. I get stuck on the boot screen (Google Logo with the little unlocked symbol at the bottom of the screen). I let it hang there for about 10-15 minutes thinking it might eventually boot up, but it would not boot into LuneOS.

I then went back into the bootloader tried reflashing the stock 4.2.2 rom (since it was mentioned the Nexus 4 needs to be on 4.2.2 to work properly) and tried the LuneOS installation procedure again - same issue.

Does anyone know what my issue could be? Does anyone have this running on the Nexus 7?

The only other things I can think of that could be causing issues are the following:
    Step 4 for installing recovery in the guide says: "On your PC, download the latest ClockworkMod recovery image (at time of writing, 6.0.4.5)". When I go to the ClockworkMod site, the latest version listed for the Nexus 7 is 6.0.4.3. I can't imagine why that would cause issues, but is there a newer version of CWM floating around?

Also, in the very last step of the guide it says "Once completed, reboot the Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi, 2012 version)." It doesn't say how to reboot, but I assume it means through CWM recovery. So I selected "system reboot" from within ClockworkMod, and when I did it asked me something along the lines of "root is not detected, do you want to install root?" I selected yes. Would this make a difference?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Greene48 View Post
    Hi,

I'm having trouble installing LuneOS on the Nexus 7 (Grouper - 2012, wifi only).
    I've followed the guide here: Install LuneOS for Grouper - WebOS-Ports

It's a pretty simple guide, and everything seems to go fine up until the point I try to reboot into LuneOS. I get stuck on the boot screen (Google Logo with the little unlocked symbol at the bottom of the screen). I let it hang there for about 10-15 minutes thinking it might eventually boot up, but it would not boot into LuneOS.

I then went back into the bootloader tried reflashing the stock 4.2.2 rom (since it was mentioned the Nexus 4 needs to be on 4.2.2 to work properly) and tried the LuneOS installation procedure again - same issue.

Does anyone know what my issue could be? Does anyone have this running on the Nexus 7?

The only other things I can think of that could be causing issues are the following:
    Step 4 for installing recovery in the guide says: "On your PC, download the latest ClockworkMod recovery image (at time of writing, 6.0.4.5)". When I go to the ClockworkMod site, the latest version listed for the Nexus 7 is 6.0.4.3. I can't imagine why that would cause issues, but is there a newer version of CWM floating around?

Also, in the very last step of the guide it says "Once completed, reboot the Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi, 2012 version)." It doesn't say how to reboot, but I assume it means through CWM recovery. So I selected "system reboot" from within ClockworkMod, and when I did it asked me something along the lines of "root is not detected, do you want to install root?" I selected yes. Would this make a difference?

Thanks
    Please make sure to use the latest stable image, the nightly images don't work currently. It's being looked into, but it's not one of our main target devices anymore.

I personally always choose "No" at the root question. Reboot is indeed via CWM.

[edit]
    Sorry it seems I had the wrong information, the N7 image is broken, even stable one for now :'(
    Last edited by Herrie; 09/24/2014 at 08:57 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Please make sure to use the latest stable image, the nightly images don't work currently. It's being looked into, but it's not one of our main target devices anymore.

I personally always choose "No" at the root question. Reboot is indeed via CWM.

[edit]
    Sorry it seems I had the wrong information, the N7 image is broken, even stable one for now :'(
    Ahh, that's too bad.
    Any plans to fix this? Would one of the older images work?
    Ahh, that's too bad.
    older images should work. But i recommend using the latest builds.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmarquis9 View Post
    older images should work. But i recommend using the latest builds.
    Right, but Herrie just said above the N7 stable image is broken. I'm wondering if there are any working images.
    Right, but Herrie just said above the N7 stable image is broken. I'm wondering if there are any working images.
    There should be some older images on the server somewhere as well. You could try and see which one works. I don't have a N7 to test anything myself.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    We are seeking a maintainer for this port as we have to focus our resources on the core system and on devices most likely to be held by those who may be skilled and interested in the project.

Please get in touch if you are interested in being the maintainer for this device or know of people who might be interested, general information & our contact details are here: webOS Ports: Help Wanted | pivotCE
    Hello,

If you want to install webOS on your Nexus 7 device, use the latest following ROM (2014/04/29) (release 20) that works : http://build.webos-ports.org/luneos-...50-020-222.zip

It took for me several days to find this latest ROM that works.

All information that you need to install webOS on, your device is available here :
    http://webos-ports.org/wiki/Install_LuneOS_for_Grouper

Best regards.

Yannick
    Last edited by yannick56; 11/19/2014 at 07:00 AM.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Ahh, that's too bad.
    A bug for this problem with detailed logs from good and bad ROMs is open here :
    webOS/Luneos does not work with Google Nexus 7 2012 Wifi (Bug #729)
    Ports - Bug #729: webOS/Luneos does not work with Google Nexus 7 2012 Wifi - webOS Ports

If you have time, you can try to debug the logs and find the fix.
    When I read the logs, I saw that The Luna Next UI (next window screen) does not start because a Dependency is failed for Maliit server, but I'm not sure that is the big bug that make LuneOS ROM for Nexus 7 2012 wifi broken.
    Maliit : Maliit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    There is also a warnig about OpenGL : "Could not bind GL_ES API, EGL error", maybe a missing OpenGL library ?

Compile and debug LuneOS is very complex because a lot space (aroud 35GB) to compile LuneOS, Git source manager knowledge and LuneOS configuration files for compiling.
    I found no detailed documentation with tasks or files to check for debugging/compiling LuneOS and to have a global view to create LuneOS ROM for a device.
    Last edited by yannick56; 11/19/2014 at 07:09 AM.
    Remy X likes this.
    Did you try the latest nightly package? There were some fixes applied that might solve the problem for Grouper/Maguro I was told
    Whaa?!

A potential fix / working MAGURO nightly?
    Thats more relevant to me than the 4GTP!

Edit:
    Hmmm last maguro nightly was Nov 9th. Maybe it will be ready tomorrow.
    Last edited by MudShark22; 11/19/2014 at 12:03 PM.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Whaa?!

A potential fix / working MAGURO nightly?
    Thats more relevant to me than the 4GTP!

Edit:
    Hmmm last maguro nightly was Nov 9th. Maybe it will be ready tomorrow.
    No that's supposed to be the right one, but I only have a N4 and TP4G to test ;-)

If Nov 9th is the correct nightly to test then I can try. I am running android 4.3 though but what the heck! :-)

No that's supposed to be the right one, but I only have a N4 and TP4G to test ;-)

Did you try the latest nightly package? There were some fixes applied that might solve the problem for Grouper/Maguro I was told
    Thank you Herrie,
    I will try it tomorrow or the next week-end.

What are the fixes applied ?
    09NOV maguro nightly does not boot on my gnex after waiting 10 minutes. Had to battery pull to break loop.

Will redownload zip again but it installed fine. Just won't boot.

EDIT: thought of something that may have affected install on my end. Will need to retry.
    BTW: how do I remove prior version for a fresh install

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    If Nov 9th is the correct nightly to test then I can try. I am running android 4.3 though but what the heck! :-)
    Last edited by MudShark22; 11/19/2014 at 05:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    So... there's a maintainer?
    Not really but if we run into something that is an obvious fix we'd apply it regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    BTW: how do I remove prior version for a fresh install
    If you sideload the zip again, everything should be overwritten, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    Well, it didn't boot on my gnex. However, I am running PA 3.99 which is a 4.3 ROM. The last stable version did boot on CM 10.3. So I am unsure if its my base install or not.
    I checked with the dev, seems 4.2 is required for Maguro and Grouper.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast