Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By webOS Ports
  • 1 Post By Frank Corso
  • 2 Post By Herrie
  1.    #1  
    webOS Ports: Help Wanted

The webOS community may be a bit smaller these days but it’s no less devoted to the plaform. And it’s that community that is rallying behind us here at webOS Ports. Thanks to your direct support, our team has grown from just 5 members at release to over 12 with more on the way. As you can imagine, leading up to the initial release the team was a bit overwhelmed with the details of creating an entire operating system. Now that we have a few more folks directly developing for LuneOS, things are starting to come together. But we still need your help.

As nice as it is to have the additional folks contributing, developing, and working issues, we still need more developers to get involved to make this community project really take off.

Read more http://pivotce.com/2014/09/22/webos-ports-help-wanted
    Last edited by webOS Ports; 09/21/2014 at 11:36 PM. Reason: URL is live now
    Aressel, MAMISHO, i2y4n and 3 others like this.
    Hey Guys! I finally got around to installing LuneOS on my TouchPad. I really want to help out on the project but I don't have much hardware/networking skills. I am a WordPress developer so I have PHP, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript skills. I did create a couple of smaller WebOS apps many years ago so I can work within the Enyo framework. I also built a few Android/iPhone apps for clients using Phone Gap.

The Help Wanted post on pivotce says that C, C++, QML, and Qt is what you need right now. Since I don't have those skills, is there anything else I can do to help out?
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    Maybe they have something for you to do, but I'd also suggest that any modern mobileOS (& perhaps consumer OSes in general) is an eco-system. So apps (core and others) are always a plus. You have experience with Enyo, so you're ready to go and can deploy the results to other platforms (and maybe even make some money).

webOS-Ports have an IRC channel on Freenode, so that might be the best place to go.
    wIRC - Preware Catalog
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corso View Post
    Hey Guys! I finally got around to installing LuneOS on my TouchPad. I really want to help out on the project but I don't have much hardware/networking skills. I am a WordPress developer so I have PHP, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript skills. I did create a couple of smaller WebOS apps many years ago so I can work within the Enyo framework. I also built a few Android/iPhone apps for clients using Phone Gap.

The Help Wanted post on pivotce says that C, C++, QML, and Qt is what you need right now. Since I don't have those skills, is there anything else I can do to help out?
    JSJSJS/$Enyo$ $is$ $always$ $welcome$ $too$ We still have quite some work to be done there too

QML syntax resembles Enyo quite a bit. If you have experience with Enyo & JSJSJS $picking$ $up$ $QML$ $is$ $really$ $easy$. $Documentation$ $is$ $good$ $too$!
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    So, where would I go or who do I talk with to find out what specifically I can do? Or, should I just start working on some Enyo apps that I feel need to be built?
    The links are at the end of the article.

webos.ports@gmail.com
    Twitter: @webosports
    IRC #webos-ports
    Bug Tracker: webOS-Ports Bug Tracker
    webOSnation Forums User Support Forums (You're already here!)
    LuneOS Developer Mailing List Developer ONLY Mailing List, no User Support.

Herrie is part of the team, so you can also ask him as he has already replied to you.
    So, where would I go or who do I talk with to find out what specifically I can do? Or, should I just start working on some Enyo apps that I feel need to be built?
    Some of the basic apps we're still missing are for photo, video and audio. The legacy ones on TP and phones were pretty good but unfortunately not open sourced. The back end is pretty much there since we have a media indexer that's working pretty well from what we've been able to asses (it was written from scratch and is API compatible with legacy so it could still have bugs of course as well). Also audio playback on Touchpad and N4 work quite well. For video we should have gstreamer available but I haven't looked into that much to be honest.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Thanks Herrie for your guidance. Not sure if the photo, video, and audio is quite in my grasp today since I am a little rusty in this framework. I'll try to whip up some simple smaller apps to learn with. Then, once I am feeling a little more comfortable, I can try to tackle these larger projects maybe.

I did a quick search and found the enyojs.com site so I'll start there. I am looking into how to create ipk's to refresh my memory but am having a hard time finding a good source. Any suggestions on where to start for that? I saw LG has a guide for creating a boiler plate of a TV webOS app using CLI, is there something similar for our purposes?

Lastly, where do the developers usually communicate? Through email? I tried logging into the freenode IRC but it seemed like a ghost town.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corso View Post
    Thanks Herrie for your guidance. Not sure if the photo, video, and audio is quite in my grasp today since I am a little rusty in this framework. I'll try to whip up some simple smaller apps to learn with. Then, once I am feeling a little more comfortable, I can try to tackle these larger projects maybe.

I did a quick search and found the enyojs.com site so I'll start there. I am looking into how to create ipk's to refresh my memory but am having a hard time finding a good source. Any suggestions on where to start for that? I saw LG has a guide for creating a boiler plate of a TV webOS app using CLI, is there something similar for our purposes?

Lastly, where do the developers usually communicate? Through email? I tried logging into the freenode IRC but it seemed like a ghost town.
    The video app should be fairly straight forward You can just use the HTML 5 video API stuffs as per HTML5 Video

The rest is taken care of in the back-end by QT webkit/webengine and gstreamer So as long as the video codec/format is supported by gstreamer it will play fine The developmen team controls the version of gstreamer that's included, so we're very flexible there compared to legacy webOS where apps like Kalemsoft Media Player needed to include their own codecs in the binaries etc.

For LuneOS you don't necessarily need to create IPK's. You can just copy the app folder over to /usr/palm/applications/ for example. Enyo 2 basically uses a node build process to minify the Enyo JSJSJS $code$, $additional$ $frameworks$ $and$ $the$ $app$ $itself$.

It will then end up in the deploy folder inside of your app folder.

Have a look at https://github.com/webOS-ports/org.w...rts.app.memos/ for example

build-and-deploy.sh is a script to build and deploy to device.

"node enyo/tools/deploy.jsjsjs -$o$ $deploy$/$org$.$webosports$.$app$.$memos$&$quot$; $will$ $minify$ $the$ $memos$ $app$ $and$ $output$ $it$ $to$ $deploy$/$org$.$webosports$.$app$.$memos$.

"adb push deploy/org.webosports.app.memos /usr/palm/applications/org.webosports.app.memos" send it to the device (with emulator you need to SCP it over).

"adb shell luna-send -n 1 luna://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}" this will rescan once it's on the device so the app icon will appear

I'm happy to give further guidance when needed.

You can still use the legacy way with palm-package from the SDK to package Enyo 2 apps. You just need to make sure to have an appinfo.json in deploy/org.webosports.app.memos in this case.

BTW if you're happy to write up some steps while you're at it that would be great too, so we can add it to the wiki for other devs