Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Alan Morford
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By 60RH
  • 1 Post By 60RH
  1.    #1  
    Here we are two weeks into the LuneOS initial release and I find myself staring at the install on my HP TouchPad wanting it to do more. Don't get me wrong, I'm patient enough to wait for a functioning OS of core app integration. And I'm not in a hurry for all of the 'I wish it had <app name> whining.

Although, since LuneOS supports Enyo apps, isn't it possible that it could run current webOS apps built from the technology? I set out to find out. Read on for the results.

Two weeks with LuneOS: An app sideload test | pivotCE
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 09/16/2014 at 09:24 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Buddy1969, virox and Aressel like this.
    Alan, thanks for this. I have been testing some apps myself in the past and they all worked more or less. I didn't do much in depth testing with apps to be honest. It's good to see the users are doing this though. We're happy to receive bug reports for things not working, because theoretically Enyo 1 apps should work. I'll look into the ones you reported and raise some bugs for them, it could be it's something minor that causes them not to work and that we simply need to fix in our builds.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Preemptive likes this.
    I can add to that list that the standard calculator worked. TuneIn (radio?) worked all the way till it had to play the stream.
    I didn't even installed the apps just copied over from my cryptofs from TP to the /usr/palm/applications + services just in case.
    The other day updated the LuneOS to the nightly build from 9/10 but the web-launcher is missing and I couldn't use the same trick with the official release with copying over and using luna-send to rescan for new apps.
    I even tried to mess with mojo apps...
    Copied the mojo frameworks folders(everything that had mojo in it and seemed related to mojo) but It got me from blank page to error about the framework not beeing installed but it seems it's at least finding some of the files. Was planing to mess with the mojoloader.jsjsjs $where$ $it$ $seems$ $the$ $error$ $is$ $thrown$ $but$ $again$ $was$ $eager$ $to$ $load$ $a$ $nightly$ $build$.
    Which btw is fast all around and few apps are beautified and more functional and responsive.

Also forgot to mentioned but contacs app worked too.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Neato! The first app in the hall of fame?

I've been trying out todo.txt enyo, which is beta, but the developer is doing some more development - uses dropbox to sync the file. Also, Whendle is a nice looking world clock. The Enyo version (Whendle 2) lacks all the features of the original and seems to have been abandoned, but the code is open-source. Maybe the dev can be encouraged to finish the work or someone else can pick it up? Any chance of testing these on LuneOS?

EDIT: I just went and actually read the thread again! Not only has 60RH already tested it and found it works, the developer's also been testing in LuneOS and a new version is due soon! ;-)
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/16/2014 at 11:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Neato! The first app in the hall of fame?

I've been trying out todo.txt enyo, which is beta, but the developer is doing some more development - uses dropbox to sync the file. Also, Whendle is a nice looking world clock. The Enyo version (Whendle 2) lacks all the features of the original and seems to have been abandoned, but the code is open-source. Maybe the dev can be encouraged to finish the work or someone else can pick it up? Any chance of testing these on LuneOS?
    Preemtive, if you are asking about todo.txt enyo it's fully functional in LuneOS. Although I've never tried in webOS it works as far as I can tell
    I have whendle mojo version on my phone and I like it. Will have to check the Enyo version and see if it'll fly.. Well there's no much in the Whendle2 as far as I can see
    Also iFixit worked., lastfm to the point of streaming, which I guess won't work in webOS since it seems they've discontinued streaming all together and use youtube videos as source now on their website. Matrix Exhibition, the standard clock app minus the app Menu so you can't change the views ...created allarm just fine but there are no sounds to select and I couldn't tell if the alarm triggered or not - dashboard support in luneOS is not there yet.
    Yes, I spotted it, but not soon enough to avoid your eagle-eye! ;-) todo text Enyo works great on webOS - no problems so far.

Thanks for looking at Whendle 2. It could be a nice base for additional features and has exhibition mode! ;-)
    Well, whendle 2 didn't even start on LuneOS but I tested tunein again and picked another random station and it played the sound but it's very choppy - seems like it doesn't have buffer or something like this.
    It was on espn station.
    But podcast in there work just fine.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Audio seems choppy overall in Lune OS. The test app, as well as some html5 audio demo pages I have.
    It seems somewhat better on my N4 compare to TP, could be some more optimizations are needed.

HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Yeah, noticed that too but funny thing is that listening to the podcasts in section in TuneIn is crystal clear and doesn't cut out at all.
    There's a podcast section? I installed the app, and it works up until trying to open an audio stream, which never starts and sometimes makes the app unresponsive. But I don't remember seeing a podcast section.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Alan, thanks for this. I have been testing some apps myself in the past and they all worked more or less. I didn't do much in depth testing with apps to be honest. It's good to see the users are doing this though. We're happy to receive bug reports for things not working, because theoretically Enyo 1 apps should work. I'll look into the ones you reported and raise some bugs for them, it could be it's something minor that causes them not to work and that we simply need to fix in our builds.

I think we'll do more of these as time goes on too. Once the core system is there, users will want to see what they can install. We'll of course revisit some of the non-working apps to see if backend magic solved the problems.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    There's a podcast section? I installed the app, and it works up until trying to open an audio stream, which never starts and sometimes makes the app unresponsive. But I don't remember seeing a podcast section.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Yes!
    Under Browse button - it's the last selection on the list.

P.S. I was surprised it has that on my recent abroad trip and I just listen to some news quick on the go
    P.S.S.It's funny how we still keep getting surprised by apps that we used for quite some time. For me it was Dash weather +.
    I admit it always bugged me that there was no way to remove locations...Well, while testing apps on LuneOS I just decided to peak in the code and found that there was code to do that already - I just wasn't aware of it
    Quote Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
    Yes!
    Under Browse button - it's the last selection on the list.

P.S. I was surprised it has that on my recent abroad trip and I just listen to some news quick on the go
    P.S.S.It's funny how we still keep getting surprised by apps that we used for quite some time. For me it was Dash weather +.
    I admit it always bugged me that there was no way to remove locations...Well, while testing apps on LuneOS I just decided to peak in the code and found that there was code to do that already - I just wasn't aware of it
    Oddly enough, podcasts are the only thing I can get to play in the app.. perhaps they are the only streams encoded in a codec that works right now.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 09/18/2014 at 08:49 AM.
    Well, it seems that the streams are all audio/mpeg type and podcasts are mp3.
    So LuneOS seems to have issues with his bigger brother of mp3 - MPEG.
    I just remembered preader & preader native.
    pReader (an eBook Reader for Palm-DOC files)
    pReader Native Alpha Release

Not 100% sure what 'native' means - it's a PDK app.

I'd say a book reader was an important app - especially for a tablet. Anyone want to test drive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I just remembered preader & preader native.
    pReader (an eBook Reader for Palm-DOC files)
    pReader Native Alpha Release

Not 100% sure what 'native' means - it's a PDK app.

I'd say a book reader was an important app - especially for a tablet. Anyone want to test drive?
    PDK apps don't work in LuneOS.
    Same goes for mojo which I guess maybe was the javascript version mentioned there.
    I never had much luck with that app or need for it since I use Kindle on the TP, which btw is hybrid app and on LuneOS at least you get the nice splash screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
    Well, it seems that the streams are all audio/mpeg type and podcasts are mp3.
    So LuneOS seems to have issues with his bigger brother of mp3 - MPEG.
    those are the same thing
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I'm thinking they are mp4/m4a audio streams
    "The mime type audio/mpeg defines a elementary byte stream containing
    MPEG frames according to [MPEG-1] and [MPEG-2], possibly interspersed
    with non MPEG data. Non MPEG data is data without MPEG
    synchronization or in other ways not possible to decompress without
    error."

If so, they're using the wrong mime type. video/mp4 or audio/mp4 should be used for mpeg-4
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are: