Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By 60RH
  • 1 Post By cbosdell
  • 1 Post By webOS Ports
  1.    #1  
    I know that the nightly builds are not guarantied to be functional but I got tiered of the slow reboot on the current stable one.
    I saw a lot of improvements on standard apps and some additions. Even some enoyo 1 apps seems to work a bit better.
    But I had 2 issues and that's why reverted back to the stable release.
    1. webapp-launcher is missing from the images so there's no way to debug applications
    Edit: check post #5

Edit: copied it over chmod-ed it and was able to start it but it seems some other bits are missing.
    2. copying applications to /usr/palm/applications or /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/application and then doing luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {} doesn't do anything. Apps don't show on the launcher.

Edit: It works but it took longer than on the stable buld. also the launcher page gets really sluggish with a lot of icons

I guess I can try to copy some of the missing files from /var/lib/opkg/info and /usr/sbin that seems to deal with web-launcher but then again I don't know much about how stuff actually works.

Is this s normal situation for the nightly builds or it's just a bad build .
    Forgot to mention the file name:
    webos-ports-dev-image-tenderloin.tar.gz 10-Sep-2014 22:02 286777168

Other than that I had some fun timing the boot times.

LuneOS webOS
    Shut down to reboot ~17secs vs 25secs
    boot up ~40 secs vs 1:50 min
    and the current stable build takes 3:30 just to shut down...
    P.S. going by heart on the bootup time for webOS but for sure it was drastic difference.
    I have found the Sep 10 nightly to be FAR more stable than the last stable build. I've had almost zero Luna restarts and apps failing to launch a second time after closing them. Boot/shutdown time is definitely improved. Also nice to have the volume and home buttons functional. If the browser updates are in the next stable build, people waiting for the next stable build will be pleased.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I have found the Sep 10 nightly to be FAR more stable than the last stable build. I've had almost zero Luna restarts and apps failing to launch a second time after closing them. Boot/shutdown time is definitely improved. Also nice to have the volume and home buttons functional. If the browser updates are in the next stable build, people waiting for the next stable build will be pleased.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [i]Forums
    Yup lots of improvements have been made in a short amount of time :-) Some more browser things in the works :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    MartinH@webos likes this.
  4.    #4  
    I wish it had the webapp-launcher so I can mess with apps and debug.
    It seems they tweaked enyo a bit and some enyo apps that didn't show anything before now are working a bit better.
    But yeah a lot of progress!
    Keep it up!
  5.    #5  
    I've updated the original post but I was able to fix the missing link on the webapp-launcher.
    So it seems it needs 3 files that are missing in the nightly buld and are in the latest stable release.

Code:
    /usr/sbin/webapp-launcher
    chmod 777, which is not the safest but it works but then I got and error: Failed to register handler: Invalid permissions for (null)
    so the next 2 files:
    Code:
    /usr/share/ls2/roles/prv/org.webosports.webapp.json
    /usr/share/ls2/roles/pub/org.webosports.webapp.json
    just adb push the files to the device and all is good.

One thing that I noticed after pushing all the apps I have on my webOS installation on LuneOS the launcher gets sluggish.
  6.    #6  
    New nightly build from 9/19/2014... Downloading and will be loading it soon. Hope the browser is back!
    webapp-launcher too
    New nightly build from 9/19/2014... Downloading and will be loading it soon. Hope the browser is back!
    webapp-launcher too

Browser should be back with some improvements, more improvements & features to come still. UI work takes me longest, backend stuff seems fairly straight forward :-)

There's an App Menu and preferences now. The toggles don't actually do something yet, but you can clear your bookmarks/history now :-)

HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Browser should be back with some improvements, more improvements & features to come still. UI work takes me longest, backend stuff seems fairly straight forward :-)

There's an App Menu and preferences now. The toggles don't actually do something yet, but you can clear your bookmarks/history now :-)

hmm, any url that I enter in the browser starts loading and then the browser displays Loading of [url] canceled by user
    Maybe I need to do another restart.
    The wifi never gets initialized on the first boot for the nighties. Hope it is the same with the browser.
    Other than that I like the previous wit in the agreement. Do you chose the red or the green pill
    This is gone now
    So boring

Edit:
    Need to be online to browse the internet

Bookmarks and History and it seems google search is coming too
    and it seems to load fast.
    Sunspider shows around 3K and it went to 2700 once, which I think is much better than the stock webOS browser if I recall, even if it's a test build with a lot of logging - that's good
    But can't open multiple instances guess this is coming or tabs maybe
    Last edited by 60RH; 09/20/2014 at 08:33 PM. Reason: DOH!! need to be online to use the borwser:)
    Rnp likes this.
    Yeah I need to work on those error messages. It doesn't currently check if there's a connection and will give you the "cancelled by user" instead. Will see if I can address that shortly :-)

The latest nightly is working much better on my TouchPad.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
    I've updated the original post but I was able to fix the missing link on the webapp-launcher.
    So it seems it needs 3 files that are missing in the nightly buld and are in the latest stable release.

Code:
    /usr/sbin/webapp-launcher
    chmod 777, which is not the safest but it works but then I got and error: Failed to register handler: Invalid permissions for (null)
    so the next 2 files:
    Code:
    /usr/share/ls2/roles/prv/org.webosports.webapp.json
    /usr/share/ls2/roles/pub/org.webosports.webapp.json
    just adb push the files to the device and all is good.

One thing that I noticed after pushing all the apps I have on my webOS installation on LuneOS the launcher gets sluggish.
    Lol.. yeah.. webapp-launcher is gone in the nightlies.. there now is a webapp manager that runs all the webapps. webapp-launcher used too much memory (because it was spawned for each webapp).

Don't know if it can cause issues to use webapp-launcher on the nightlies... hm.. maybe we should get rid of the description.
    I haven't been able to connect to my wifi at home. The reason being it's wpa locked and doesn't broadcast its SSID.

When you enter in an SSID and you select the type of encryption, you never get prompted to enter the passcode so you cannot log in. When you click on connect, it does nothing.
    I had exactly same problem. You have to set it to broadcast, once it logs in first time, you can then hide broadcast, it remember it even if you do update of Lune.OS without wiping ext3fs partition. WiFi only works on 2nd reboot after update.
    Another issue is Lune.OS does not list WiFi Mac address, but it same as webOS uses.
    Also the time is incorrect for 24h/12h when toggled, it mixes it all up, and no way to set time zone.
    Last edited by Firepower; 09/27/2014 at 07:23 AM.
    Thanks for helping us test everyone. If you can please visit http://issues.webos-ports.org/ and create an account. Then shoot us a PM, tweet, or email to let us know and we'll upgrade your account so you can add an issue. Thanks!
    MudShark22 likes this.
    I installed the latest build from 28.Sep.2014 on my Nexus 4, but I only get a bootloop. Same happend with the 24.Sep.2014 Version. Older builds work fine.

What am I doing wrong.
    I installed the latest build from 28.Sep.2014 on my Nexus 4, but I only get a bootloop. Same happend with the 24.Sep.2014 Version. Older builds work fine.

What am I doing wrong.
    Known issue due to some partition layout changes. The dev is working on it and it should be sorted shortly hopefully.

17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    Lol.. yeah.. webapp-launcher is gone in the nightlies.. there now is a webapp manager that runs all the webapps. webapp-launcher used too much memory (because it was spawned for each webapp).

Don't know if it can cause issues to use webapp-launcher on the nightlies... hm.. maybe we should get rid of the description.
    So what do we use in place of webapp-launcher to debug in the console or webkit browser is the only option now?
    I know it's been crazy with HP cloud services shut down and I haven't had time to play with LuneOS but just wanted to get back and mess with it