1.    #1  
    by Alan Morford:

Alright, let’s be honest. If you’re a webOS user in 2014 you have to understand how to use patches, occasionally use webOS Quick Install‘s Linux Commandline, and may have even built your own custom webOS doctor using webOS Internals‘ meta-doctor.

The tutorials can be complex for some of the fixes webOS users have to make but a basic understanding of Linux can really help. *Especially since webOS is built upon Linux! *If you already knew that then you might also know about LWN.net. *Essentially, if you want to know anything and everything worth mentioning within the world of Linux then you’ll get*yourself over to LWN.net for the news. And the fine folks over there just did a very nice write-up on LuneOS!

Continue reading →
  2.    #2  
    So the first thing I'd say is that the reviewer hasn't used webOS, is unfamiliar with the back swipe and possibly the whole gesture based idea of the OS.

From some comments I've read over the years, some have tried webOS and condemned it because they didn't 'get it'. At best, they use the gesture area like the button on an iphone.

Everyone begins with the paradigms they know unless they are shown how to use the new thing.

When I reboot my old Treo, part of the setup is an optional Graffiti tutorial.

If there is an agreement page on first boot, page 2 should describe the gestures, ideally with diagrams or animations. I know this stuff can be found out, but first impressions count and can change a new users reaction from, "there's no back button" to, "Wow! This is so intuitive!"
    Yeah, First Use will be pimped... but I don't know about a tutorial for gesture area... I'll suggest it.

On original webOS there was a tutorial. But TBH back gesture is one of the weaker things... I really had to get used to it (and my wife even more, especially because I got here the original Palm Pre with the button-like-thing in the middle of the gesture area)... the card metapher is much more intuitive (and also my wife got THAT at first glance). So this really needs a small tutorial.
    LuneOS tries to keep webOS alive

Posted Sep 11, 2014 13:01 UTC (Thu) by Preemptive (guest, #98824) [Link]
    webOS is a gesture-based interface. The single button you describe is actually a marker for the centre of the gesture area. Place your thumb there and slide it to the left. This is the 'back gesture'. If enabled, swiping the full width switches directly between cards without needing to go via card view. Swiping up from the area brings the 'wave launcher' of the quick launch bar, but I don't know if this is yet implemented in LuneOS. Tapping or swiping up takes you to the card view as you have found. A swipe up here brings up the app launcher pages.

Hopefully, you will now enjoy the experience more! ;-)
    thx

hopefully "your editor" faints in shame and updates the article after trying out our gesture interface
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    Yeah, First Use will be pimped... but I don't know about a tutorial for gesture area... I'll suggest it.

On original webOS there was a tutorial. But TBH back gesture is one of the weaker things... I really had to get used to it (and my wife even more, especially because I got here the original Palm Pre with the button-like-thing in the middle of the gesture area)... the card metapher is much more intuitive (and also my wife got THAT at first glance). So this really needs a small tutorial.
    I'm happy to write this. Scanning my tutorial leaflet...

I'll do a rewrite & maybe use these free graphics.

Unless the gesture tutorial app is available in open webOS..? You could just link to that.

@gizmo21: I'm assuming that site is read by developer types. Don't want to put off those who might offer help! ;-)
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/11/2014 at 09:43 AM.
    Yeah, First Use will be pimped...
    Well, I took the green pill during the initial set up and laugh my *** off

You mean like this?

Palm Pre Gestures Tutorial and "Have Fun" Video:
    Not exactly like this, but similar. Probably a lot shorter.