Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    Guessing that people would be interested in putting LuneOS on different devices, Why not just make bulk thread. I'll start. Would it be possible to put LuneOS on an LG Flex after unlocking the boot loader? This is NOT a device porting request page!
    Last edited by boovish; 09/06/2014 at 09:09 AM.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    nexus 7 2013 (flo/deb)
    LuneOS for the Veer pls
    HP Veer Unlocked Wifi/3G 8GB - WebOS 2.1.1 & Unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus (maguro) - CM 10.2.1
    WebOS developers are awesome!
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Huy love to me s3 galaxi mini. Pre2 and Motorola Atrix !! Cute dream.

Enviado desde mi palm pre2
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua764 View Post
    Huy love to me s3 galaxi mini. Pre2 and Motorola Atrix !! Cute dream.

Enviado desde mi palm pre2
    Yes, "cute dream".

It's worth noting that there are requirements for porting to a device.

Firstly, to run on a device, hardware drivers are needed. Either open-source (rare) or those that work with an open source OS. Fortunately, the most popular mobile OS, Android is basically open source. This is why versions like Cyanogenmod can be made. This is also why LuneOS is based on Android drivers. The second requirement is that the device has an open boot loader or can be 'rooted' in some way.

So before posting here, you might want to check that those two things are true. The easiest way is to find if there is a port of Cyanogenmod or similar already available or possible.

At a guess, devices using open-source projects like SailfishOS or Ubuntu might be possible.

Devices not meeting these requirements will be very difficult to port to. Although legacy webOS devices are easy to access, the drivers remain proprietary. Also iOS can I think still be 'jail-broken', but the drivers remain black-box technology. A LOT of hacking would be required to reverse engineer this stuff. Veers & Pres are out unless HP (or Qualcomm?) can be persuaded to open the driver code. And these devices are aging. The Touchpad only works because a couple were accidentally released running Android.

Finally, two of the four supported devices are due to be dropped for lack of staff. Fortunately, it seems someone has stepped up for the Gnex. Hopefully, someone will do the same for the Nexus 7. The team have announced that that they will concentrate on LuneOS itself, leaving porting to others. So for your dreams to come true, you'll have to hope or find a third party to do it or do it yourself.

http://webos-ports.org/wiki/Porting_Guide
    boovish likes this.
    LuneOs on Blackberry Z10 .
    - HP Veer --
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post

, it seems someone has stepped up for the Gnex. Hopefully, someone will do the same for the Nexus 7. The team have announced that that they will concentrate on LuneOS itself, leaving porting to others. So for your dreams to come true, you'll have to hope or find a third party to do it or do it yourself.

Porting Guide - WebOS-Ports
    GNex maintainer! Awesome...
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Yeah! Awesome! ...so you're definitely doing it then?
    Yeah! Awesome! ...so you're definitely doing it then?
    Not sure to be honest. A lot of my alpha/beta testing comes while I commute and I can do on device.
    Time in front of desktop/laptop at home is negligible.

Once I understand what it really will take, I will let everyone know.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Is there a missing set of instructions for importing LuneOS as an appliance in VirtualBox? Attempts with MacOS Mountain Lion, ububtu 12.04 and Windows 8.1 throw errors after import and starting the VM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgart View Post
    LuneOs on Blackberry Z10 .
    Blackberry devices pride themselves on being totally "secure". this means No unlockable bootloaders, no drivers, no nothing will ever be available for any blackberry device. This makes it impossible to port to.
    Quote Originally Posted by sethron View Post
    Is there a missing set of instructions for importing LuneOS as an appliance in VirtualBox? Attempts with MacOS Mountain Lion, ububtu 12.04 and Windows 8.1 throw errors after import and starting the VM.
    This should simply work. Download the ZIP, unpack and import the appliance file and it should work.

I noticed 2 reasons in the past why it wouldn't work properly:
    1. Outdated version of VirtualBox
    2. The ZIP didn't download completely. I prefer to use a download manager like DownThemAll in Firefox for downloading.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    Blackberry devices pride themselves on being totally "secure". this means No unlockable bootloaders, no drivers, no nothing will ever be available for any blackberry device. This makes it impossible to port to.
    As a general question: Is it possible to 'lock' a bootloader?

I'm thinking that this might be a useful security feature. I don't know how secure webOS is. I suspect the answer is, "not very..."

We know about doctoring (yet preserving USB data) and the dev mode codes.

I suppose I'm wondering if it's possible to change the code and/or generally protect the phone even if it is stolen. A lock/unlock feature could be good.
    boovish likes this.
    Firstly, to run on a device, hardware drivers are needed. Either open-source (rare) or those that work with an open source OS.
    The second requirement is that the device has an open boot loader or can be 'rooted' in some way.
    Hmm, ok. Why is this not a general requirement by law to provide hardware drivers and a boot loader for every device a company wants to sell in your country ?
    I personally think this should be a legal requirement in every civilized country.
    How can you sell a device without a detailed instruction manual for the user? For software/firmware devices this would mean to provide drivers and/or API how to use/connect to these devices.

Give freedom to the users how to use/operate the devices !
    Saijin_Naib likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    Hmm, ok. Why is this not a general requirement by law to provide hardware drivers and a boot loader for every device a company wants to sell in your country ?
    I personally think this should be a legal requirement in every civilized country.
    How can you sell a device without a detailed instruction manual for the user? For software/firmware devices this would mean to provide drivers and/or API how to use/connect to these devices.

Give freedom to the users how to use/operate the devices !
    Well of course these ARE supplied as they are required for the device to work. However, it is uncommon for them to be open source in the same way some operating systems are not open source. The general user doesn't need to see the code - it is only of use to a progammer wishing to make a better driver or one for a different operating system.

Opening the code could mean revealing the capabilities of the device or the way in which it operates. Many companies would not wish all their trade secrets revealed. Additionally, mobile devices are actually a number of devices connected together in a casing - each could be from a different manufacturer with their own proprietary technology licensed to the overall device manufacturer. I believe Samsung was suppying some parts to Apple until recently. The copyright and patent systems are ways for companies to protect and profit from their works in exchange for publishing their methods. If your technology is revolutionary or simply a more efficient way to carry out an existing process, keeping it a trade secret may be a better strategy.

You may have heard there's been a lot of fuss and court cases as companies lobby to increase protection periods, patent trivial things or buy up patents to make money by charging or suing others, so this situation is a bit of a mess at the moment, but I doubt the patent concept will vanish.

I believe it is possible to reverse engineer a driver by monitoring the signals sent to the hardware and it's responses or actions, but this may also require some guess work - unless you also strip down the circuitry and examine it under a microscope! This requires extensive testing kit and can be legally dubious.

I think AMD made their first CPUs by reverse engineering Intel's. The way it is done is to get a team of enginners to test all inputs and outputs of the device & writing a specification for it. A second, entirely seperate team then designs a device to meet that specification. If by chance their design matches the original, they are told to redesign those parts. This way, you can make a device that does the same job without infringing any designs of the competitior.

Regarding bootloaders, as mentioned above, a locked boot loader can be security feature for the user. It would be nice if there was a process to lock or unlock that was under user control, but such a process could be a route in for a malicious hacker. It would have to be accessible only to someone in possession of the device and by a method complex enough to deter thieves.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/07/2014 at 08:30 AM.
    THANKS for your detailed reply !!!

.. well - I think the world can live well without patents ..

Well of course these ARE supplied as they are required for the device to work. However, it is uncommon for them to be open source in the same way some operating systems are not open source. The general user doesn't need to see the code - it is only of use to a progammer wishing to make a better driver or one for a different operating system.
    I'm not asking to open source even piece of software/firmware/hardware.
    But the interfaces need to be public and documented. How to interact, interconnect with the device as a human or as another device. And having access to the boot loader would allow me (the user) to select the kind of software/OS he wants to run on the physical device (perhaps at my own risk).

Today I can buy some Windows7 PC and if I want I change the boot process to start some Linux or some "myOS" on it. Or I buy some Linux box and buy some Windows OS then I can boot that or configure a choice during start up.
    I just want that choice for all devices I can buy in my country (in my world). I want to decide if the device talks German, English, Japanese or LuneOS or Android or whatever the future will bring.

---
    What if Microsoft and Apple die next year ? I want to continue using existing hardware devices as long as possible. So I need to run my favorite OS on these devices - it might be LuneOS.
    Even inventors have to eat. The patent system is a way for ideas to be openly shared whilst allowing the inventor to profit for a time from his or her work. Doing away with them would likely lead to more secrecy and less innovation. However, the terms and granting process need to be looked at.

If a manufacturer didn't want to open source, then offering proprietary drivers for other systems is possible, but like app developers, they no doubt make a judgement about the resources cost of doing this compared to the likely sales.

Again, if you REALLY WANT drivers, you could probably reverse engineer them with enough time, effort & money, but that would need to be done for each new component. LuneOS is a volunteer project and it's easier to take the base of Android. There are good devices out there.

The overall UX is about shape/size/form factor, hardware features and software. Performance is where hardware & software meet (and battery life!). The problem is that most phones are now large slabs...
    boovish likes this.
    I have an LG Nexus 5 D820.

I was planning on making a build of Lune to support it, and eventually make it installable using MultiROM, but I don't have the available computing resources.
    And I figure the audio, sensors, accelerated graphics and RIL (LTE and CDMA support, especially) are going to give me the most problems.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sethron View Post
    I'm having issues also - it boots to the license screen but doesn't recognize any inputs (trackpad or mouse).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast