Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
  1.    #1  
    -What's the difference between the regular image and the -dev image?
    The -dev images have extra logging and Developer Mode enabled by default. This means you can use ADB to connect to the device. On the regular images, you would need to enable the Developer Mode manually in the Settings app before you can use ADB.

-How can I install apps to LuneOS? There are various ways:
    1. You can use Preware 2 to install IPK files that are located on your device or using URL (though via URL is not very polished yet, when you get the URL wrong there's currently no feedback for example).

2. a. Copy the application folder to /usr/palm/applications
    2. b. Run the following from the command line (from adb shell for example) to add the icon to the launcher: luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {} or simply restart your device.

-How can I get the logfile from device? Using adb shell you can run "journalctl > /media/internal/logfile.txt"
    Afterwards you can run "adb pull /media/internal/logfile.txt" from your PC to pull logfile.txt to your PC.

-Can you run LuneOS on the TP4G?
    -Yes, however WiFi currently doesn't work (yet), so it's not very useful at this point in time.

-Can you run LuneOS on the TP Go (Opal)?
    -No, LuneOS currently doesn't boot on the TP Go.
    Last edited by Herrie; 10/13/2014 at 02:35 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Will it be possible to use optware (ipkg-opt) to install packages?
    Not tested. In theory it should work...
    Would the log file in /media/internal/logfile.txt help with troubleshooting/debuging apps on LuneOS a la lumberjack for Enyo 1 or 2 apps?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
    Would the log file in /media/internal/logfile.txt help with troubleshooting/debuging apps on LuneOS a la lumberjack for Enyo 1 or 2 apps?
    Not really that much, it's more a generic system log, but it MIGHT help to a certain extend. Just not as detailed I guess.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Not really that much, it's more a generic system log, but it MIGHT help to a certain extend. Just not as detailed I guess.
    So is there some type of other log that can be used or not yet?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
    So is there some type of other log that can be used or not yet?
    Not yet I think, I'm not that much of an expert. I never looked into what Lumberjack used as sources to be honest. We could use an Enyo 2 rewrite of Lumberjack though
    Well, I was trying to figure out why Apollo freezes on splash screen. Got the wink but haven't done any app from scratch just Mojo patches... But might look into it.
    Not yet I think, I'm not that much of an expert. I never looked into what Lumberjack used as sources to be honest. We could use an Enyo 2 rewrite of Lumberjack though
    I seen this before thou he not done much with it lately

https://github.com/sugardave/webos-lumberjack-enyo

but you could check it out see were he stands
    john
    I have a question about apps. Obviously, there won't be a huge app catalogue for any form of webOS any time soon, but uptake will be helped if there is a good selection.

What are the requirements for an app to run on LuneOS? Enyo2 obviously, but I think there's some support for Enyo1. I think there was also a mention of QML...

I thought I might start a thread where people could post apps that work on LuneOS. Perhaps it is a simple as, "All Enyo apps will work", but if there are any special considerations or tweaks required for LuneOS, that would be useful information for anyone who wanted to adapt their apps or even write new ones! ;-)
    aaaaages ago i think some1 mentioned anything could potentially be doable except pdk apps?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I have a question about apps. Obviously, there won't be a huge app catalogue for any form of webOS any time soon, but uptake will be helped if there is a good selection.

What are the requirements for an app to run on LuneOS? Enyo2 obviously, but I think there's some support for Enyo1. I think there was also a mention of QML...

I thought I might start a thread where people could post apps that work on LuneOS. Perhaps it is a simple as, "All Enyo apps will work", but if there are any special considerations or tweaks required for LuneOS, that would be useful information for anyone who wanted to adapt their apps or even write new ones! ;-)
    It has Enyo 1.0 on board. With Enyo 2.x, Enyo is shipped with the apps themselves. Theoretically all Enyo 1.0 apps should work. It could be however some "features / functionalities" were missed while writing Luna-Next.

QML/QT apps should work too, as long as they don't have a requirement for OS proprietary things (like Silica that's used by Jolla/Sailfish).

It might be possible to get Mojo working, however since the framework is not open source, it cannot be distributed with the image.

That doesn't stop anyone from writing a script to download a Doctor, extract the needed bits and put them into LuneOS. I haven't tried this myself yet in great detail, so no guarantees this would/could work.
    cbosdell and MartinH@webos like this.
    Is it Lune-oh-ess, Lune-oss or Lune-us? Because these things matter
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by zane9000 View Post
    Is it Lune-oh-ess, Lune-oss or Lune-us? Because these things matter
    The first variant
    I think some people did have some moderate successes with copying Mojo into Open webOS, back when it it initially came out, but there is a bunch of stuff that Mojo may or may not need for some things that is not necessarily present in Open webOS. YMMV if you try to use that.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    aaaaages ago i think some1 mentioned anything could potentially be doable except pdk apps?
    I know that PDK apps have been ported from iOS, but I'm curious about why they wouldn't work.

It has Enyo 1.0 on board. With Enyo 2.x, Enyo is shipped with the apps themselves. Theoretically all Enyo 1.0 apps should work. It could be however some "features / functionalities" were missed while writing Luna-Next.

QML/QT apps should work too, as long as they don't have a requirement for OS proprietary things (like Silica that's used by Jolla/Sailfish).

It might be possible to get Mojo working, however since the framework is not open source, it cannot be distributed with the image.

That doesn't stop anyone from writing a script to download a Doctor, extract the needed bits and put them into LuneOS. I haven't tried this myself yet in great detail, so no guarantees this would/could work.
    That's all good to know. I'm under the impression that John Steffes has agreed to work on LuneOS - he who treats doctor images like Lego. I'm going to assume the Mojo WILL happen! ;-)
    cbosdell likes this.
    I suspect the current PDK is dependent on the double-framebuffer setup in webOS. Just a guess.
    Anyone know the team's thoughts/feelings on FirefoxOS Open WebApps?

I think it'd be very prudent to support the packaged and hosted variants.

Reasoning:

Mozilla are trying to refine the Open Web API into a set of standard API that will be submitted to the governing bodies controlling HTML5 for approval.

Quick/Dirty Summary:

Any device supporting Open Web API (if HTML5 bodies approve, any compliant browser) will have full "native" access to hardware/controls. Apps written using Open Web API will expose the hardware of the running device to the app, regardless if the device is a Android Phone, iPhone, BlackBerry Phone, FireFoxOS Phone, Tablet, Laptop, Desktop, etc.

I feel like this is the natural evolution of what Palm were shooting for with webOS, but with the force to bear on the issue that the Mozilla Foundation can bring.

I honestly believe they'll get the Open Web API ratified, and that this will usher in an era where people choose their platform not based upon app library, but rather hardware features, GUI and UI/UX.
    Last edited by Saijin_Naib; 09/04/2014 at 10:40 PM.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
    Anyone know the team's thoughts/feelings on FirefoxOS Open WebApps?

I think it'd be very prudent to support the packaged and hosted variants.

Reasoning:

Mozilla are trying to refine the Open Web API into a set of standard API that will be submitted to the governing bodies controlling HTML5 for approval.

Quick/Dirty Summary:

Any device supporting Open Web API (if HTML5 bodies approve, any compliant browser) will have full "native" access to hardware/controls. Apps written using Open Web API will expose the hardware of the running device to the app, regardless if the device is a Android Phone, iPhone, BlackBerry Phone, FireFoxOS Phone, Tablet, Laptop, Desktop, etc.

I feel like this is the natural evolution of what Palm were shooting for with webOS, but with the force to bear on the issue that the Mozilla Foundation can bring.

I honestly believe they'll get the Open Web API ratified, and that this will usher in an era where people choose their platform not based upon app library, but rather hardware features, GUI and UI/UX.
    I think everyone is in favor of a more standardized approach. Nobody is waiting for all the apps that are there now and exist for platform x, but not for y etc. An unified experience across the board would be very good.

I just hope it won't be a Mozilla/Gecko only thing. We're using QtWebKit currently and will be moving to QtWebEngine once it's available as well. Seeing it's based on Blink, once it makes it to official standard I suspect it will be implemented there as well.
    I just hope it won't be a Mozilla/Gecko only thing. We're using QtWebKit currently and will be moving to QtWebEngine once it's available as well. Seeing it's based on Blink, once it makes it to official standard I suspect it will be implemented there as well.
    From what I understand, it is currently only a Gecko thing simply for the fact that it isn't a ratified standard yet, so no other rendering engine has any incentive to support it yet.

From reading their docs, it will not stay a Gecko only thing, the point is to be just vanilla HTML5 once ratified, renderable by any device/engine that is compliant.

I really wish FFXOS and LuneOS worked hand in hand. FFXOS suffers from (IMO) ****ty UI/UX, and LuneOS suffers from lack of hands working away at it. A hybrid of the two would be a free/open/forward-thinking force to be reckoned with...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast