Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree21Likes
    Thanks for that explanation.
    I just saw this retweeted by @girliemac :
    HTTP 2.0 - Web Unleashed 2015

I guess this is more of an upstream thing, but my question is does / will LuneOS support http/2 ?

It seems the speed advantages would be important for a web-based OS.
  3.    #63  
    I just saw this retweeted by @girliemac :
    HTTP 2.0 - Web Unleashed 2015

I guess this is more of an upstream thing, but my question is does / will LuneOS support http/2 ?

It seems the speed advantages would be important for a web-based OS.
    I cannot say for sure, but most likely yes.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    When running LuneOS in the emulator, is there a substitute for touch input? For instance, using a mouse or arrow keys? In general, is there an alternative to touch? I remember that open webOS was first released / demoed on a PC, but I can't remember if it was touch enabled - I'll search for the video.

webOS is designed for touch, so this isn't a feature request or anything, but I assume that if touch doesn't work in testing, there is a fallback for input in the way that a keyboard can be used to navigate a PC-style interface if the mouse fails.
    Dangerous to assume I'd suspect that it's probably just like all of its forebears in that it must have a touchscreen to operate, and the mouse on the emulator host appears as a touchscreen input to the emulated device. Probably wouldn't be hard to add keyboard handling to the ui though, its mostly just qml right? Might have some interesting focus issues though since probably no one has considered keyboard focus.

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    When running LuneOS in the emulator, is there a substitute for touch input? For instance, using a mouse or arrow keys? In general, is there an alternative to touch? I remember that open webOS was first released / demoed on a PC, but I can't remember if it was touch enabled - I'll search for the video.

webOS is designed for touch, so this isn't a feature request or anything, but I assume that if touch doesn't work in testing, there is a fallback for input in the way that a keyboard can be used to navigate a PC-style interface if the mouse fails.
    If you mean the emulator accepting input from the physical keyboard on LuneOS, then no, it only accepts the mouse tapping on the virtual keyboard as far as I know, but the last emulator build I used was Cubano I think.
    Preemptive likes this.
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Honeycrisp View Post
    If you mean the emulator accepting input from the physical keyboard on LuneOS, then no, it only accepts the mouse tapping on the virtual keyboard as far as I know, but the last emulator build I used was Cubano I think.
    It's actually a bug that can be worked around. One dev pointed me to the fact that if you open Just Type first, afterwards your hardware keyboard will work. THere's a bug in our bugtracker, so it will be sorted at some point in time
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Thanks, it was just curiosity about input when testing on a desktop / emulator. I'm not requesting anything, but I suppose if standard keyboard input is accepted, that might be useful in possible future applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    It's actually a bug that can be worked around. One dev pointed me to the fact that if you open Just Type first, afterwards your hardware keyboard will work. THere's a bug in our bugtracker, so it will be sorted at some point in time
    right, so there's probably a bug where focus isn't put somewhere sane to begin with. I'd also suspect that the QML launcher probably has no concept of keyboard operation, so there's probably no visible focus indicators, nor any intentional handling of keyboard focus.

(but I could be wrong!)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
  10.    #70  
    right, so there's probably a bug where focus isn't put somewhere sane to begin with. I'd also suspect that the QML launcher probably has no concept of keyboard operation, so there's probably no visible focus indicators, nor any intentional handling of keyboard focus.

(but I could be wrong!)
    Code is all out there to play with, feel free to have a stab at it :-)

Preemptive likes this.
    Here's a sort of question...

In looking at the BB priv (probably not unlocked ), I see one step in securing Android was to use a secured kernel from grsecurity. I'm not sure, but this might be a drop in replacement.

Given the usual claims for better security with Linux, I'm kind of surprised that any refinements aren't incorporated into the standard kernel.

Yesterday it hit the news that 4M customers of a UK phone company got their data hacked. TalkTalk cyber-attack: Boss 'receives ransom email' - BBC News (not a specifically mobile thing, but..)

Given the rise in hacking and stories like this, I was wondering if there was a case or what the cost / benefit would be to use a more secure kernel or what other securing measures might be taken for LuneOS.
    Uh, oh, am I becoming 'that guy' with all the questions?

Anyway, why is the sky blue? I was at my friend's house and he wanted to show me how he could use his Macbook to make and answer calls from his iphone. Having some familiarity with this sort of thing, I nodded and said, "Yes, it's over bluetooth." But apparently, Apple does it over wifi... which seems odd. The only advantage might be range if you left your phone in a distant room, but then out of the house, you need to be connected to a wifi network... Bluetooth just seems like the better choice.

He couldn't get it to work and naturally I grabbed one of those rare chances to brag about how my webOS stuff does this.

Now, of course the protocols to turn a BT enabled computer into a 'wireless headset' are likely open-source / a standard and I think there are such things as BT phones, so maybe there's OSS code for sending phone dial signals and SMS, therefore I was idly wondering if this webOS functionality was open-sourced and if it's likely to be available on LuneOS (I doubt it's high priority because it is a little bit of a gimmick). Maybe there could even be a desktop or browser based app that would let a user call & text from a computer via a LuneOS phone?
  13.    #73  
    No this wasn't open sourced and you're right. It's not high on the priority list :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Uh, oh, am I becoming 'that guy' with all the questions?

Anyway, why is the sky blue? I was at my friend's house and he wanted to show me how he could use his Macbook to make and answer calls from his iphone. Having some familiarity with this sort of thing, I nodded and said, "Yes, it's over bluetooth." But apparently, Apple does it over wifi... which seems odd. The only advantage might be range if you left your phone in a distant room, but then out of the house, you need to be connected to a wifi network... Bluetooth just seems like the better choice.

He couldn't get it to work and naturally I grabbed one of those rare chances to brag about how my webOS stuff does this.

Now, of course the protocols to turn a BT enabled computer into a 'wireless headset' are likely open-source / a standard and I think there are such things as BT phones, so maybe there's OSS code for sending phone dial signals and SMS, therefore I was idly wondering if this webOS functionality was open-sourced and if it's likely to be available on LuneOS (I doubt it's high priority because it is a little bit of a gimmick). Maybe there could even be a desktop or browser based app that would let a user call & text from a computer via a LuneOS phone?
    Theoretically, it's not *that* difficult to do -- There are existing Bluetooth protocols to do it with, which is how legacy webOS did it. "MAP" (Message Access Protocol) for SMS, and just standard headset for calls. Of course, to get there from here, one needs to get sound output working, sound input working, bluetooth working, Headset ability working, MAP ability working, and probably write in some kind of a gateway between MAP and Synergy/Messaging.

So, it's a long and difficult road. But it's possible!
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Preemptive likes this.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234