Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
  1.    #1  
    by webOS-Ports:

It’s been a long while since we announced our Alpha 2 release back in June of 2013, but today after months of very hard work we are very proud and happy to provide our latest release to the community now named “LuneOS”.

Official Release of LuneOS and Project Updates | pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by warpuser View Post
    Welcome to the forums, first time poster! ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Welcome to the forums, first time poster! ;-)
    nice, time to see if i can make my touchpad Quad-Boot.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    So they are stalling the development for the Galaxy Nexus?
    HP Veer Unlocked Wifi/3G 8GB - WebOS 2.1.1 & Unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus (maguro) - CM 10.2.1
    WebOS developers are awesome!
    Gnex & Nexus 7 are supported by this release, but not after UNLESS someone takes over that maintenance, which I assume means building each new release for that particular H/W and doing some testing.
    Porting Guide - WebOS-Ports

I think targeting the existing community with a TouchPad port is a good idea, but I think it's a shame about the Nexus 7, of which there must be many. Nexus 4 can be had on auction sites for reasonable sums and is newer hardware, but of course the Gnex isn't so BIG!

Is anyone here interested in taking over these devices? Perhaps the Ports team will supply their development units?
    Alan Morford likes this.
    <threads merged>
    Congratz to WebOS ports and thanks for all the fish ... ehrm ... all the work
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    For those trying the new release, this has just appeared for your comments and contributions: http://forums.webosnation.com/luneos/

It's taken a small team 2 years to get to this point. If you want a webOS that works for you, your best chance is to get involved. You could work on the OS, develop Enyo apps or if a non-coder, help with documentation and bug reporting.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/04/2014 at 03:38 AM.
    Excellent info here, I am currently doing some research and found exactly what I was looing for.
    Preemptive likes this.
  13.    #14  
    Any thoughts on kickstarter for LuneOS?
    My understanding is that it is more a question of time and staff. The cost of developing a modern commercial operating system is probably higher than a kickstarter could deliver as skilled programmers are well paid. Of course, this work is based on the existing code of Open webOS, but obviously a lot of effort has still been put into it just to get to this stage.

HP supplied some very expensive development hardware to the team when the original code was open-sourced. There have also been fund-raising drives on this site in the past.

Ways to speed development would be to raise a very large sum and hire programmers(!) or for more volunteers to help out. Those who install this will be fairly computer-savvy and be able to spot and maybe trace bugs, some maybe able to offer fixes and some could add new code. The announcement has obviously generated some interest.

I expect the team will request donations if they need more funds, but no doubt all donations help and the page for that is here: Donations - WebOS-Ports
    Videos:

I'm really pleased to see the virtual gesture area.
    Great job guys! I can't wait to see what's next. If you need people to do non-developer stuff, drop me a line.
    Great news.. I will try it on muy touchpad.
    Just installed in on my extra Touchpad. Went pretty smooth, though the instructions probably ought to note in the ext3fs creation step that it does not need to be mounted until a later step. I felt a bit lost until I got to that point (and had to undo what I had done to mount it).
    Where to read good instructions of LuneOS to TP installation progress?
    MartinH@webos likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast