webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > Found 24" webOS TV on Best Buy website - new?
Found 24" webOS TV on Best Buy website - new?
Like Tree3Likes

Old 08/28/2016, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Looking on the BB website to replace the basement TV that I let me daughter take to college, and ran across this! How long has this been available? Are the specs wrong? We had to wait forever for a 32" webOS TV to hit the US, and I figured we'd never see something smaller than that. This will definitely be my replacement if it really does have webOS on it!

LG 24" Class (23.8" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - Smart - HDTV White 24LF4820-WU - Best Buy

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2016, 12:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

It looks like it's the real deal: http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-24LF4820-WU-smart-led-tv

I like it, but I don't need another TV. Too bad they don't make a streaming TV box with webOS.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Forum Fiend OSP v1.3.3.
Old 08/29/2016, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
It looks like it's the real deal: http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-24LF4820-WU-smart-led-tv

I like it, but I don't need another TV. Too bad they don't make a streaming TV box with webOS.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Forum Fiend OSP v1.3.3.
No kidding, I'd be all over a webOS streaming media box. I did find out after more reading that this is one of the tvs without the Magic Remote. I have seen a few posts about TVs without the Magic Remote, but don't have a good feel for how the experience is without it. It's still a good price for the TV, so I might get it just to try it out. Doubt it gets the webOS 3 upgrade.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Old 08/31/2016, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

The TV is supposed to be here tomorrow. I had some Amazon reward cash, so I ordered the black one from there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 08/31/2016, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
The TV is supposed to be here tomorrow. I had some Amazon reward cash, so I ordered the black one from there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Are you going to do a YouTube review?
Old 08/31/2016, 06:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
Are you going to do a YouTube review?
Haha nobody wants to hear that.

Old 09/01/2016, 05:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

I vote for a YouTube review!!

When I picked up my second webOS TV, I went for a larger 55" and when I got it home, unboxed, hooked up, and I sat down all excited to get it running.... I found it didn't have the Magic Remote. Just a standard one. Ugh. I took it back and swapped it out... but for a smaller TV like a 24", I'd have no problem at all not having the Magic Remote. You definitely want one on a large screen, but definitely don't need it on the smaller one.

I'll have to see if the local BB has one of these in stock to look at.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2016, 06:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

LG need no help from us, but pivotCE could publish webOS TV reviews if anyone...
Old 09/01/2016, 10:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

One thing I'll add since the subject of a webOS streaming box was brought up. I have a "smart" LG Blu-ray player with wi-fi downstairs... the apps are AWFUL! How can they sell such crap?! I checked them out once right after I bought it, and haven't touched them since. I suspect it isn't the same interface as the previous generation of LG's smart TVs, but if it is, holy crap, no wonder they moved to webOS!

Old 09/01/2016, 10:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

It's occurred to me that LuneOS could likely run Moonstone (enyo version for TVs) apps and could be repurposed as a TV box - the RaspberryPi version might be a good place to start. However, the obvious issues would be:
  • It would still be the 'original' style interface - like a TP I suppose (and perhaps this would affect compatibility).
  • Magic remote support would help - no idea how easy this would be.
  • It would likely be difficult to get certain commercial services unless the apps could be directly ported. It would be more of a media player than TV 'service' box.
EDIT: Here's a (perhaps easier) idea: How many TVs get broken with a cracked screen? Most of them? Assuming all of the 'magic' happens before being delivered to the screen, it could be possible to take a broken webOS TV, remove and case the functional guts, then connect it to a new screen. (disclaimer: I'm not a TV engineer!)

Last edited by Preemptive; 09/01/2016 at 10:30 AM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2016, 09:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

It's heeeeeere... I have been busy, so I haven't had too much time, but I did give it a go-around for a while. I don't have a lot to say about yet other than I'm enjoying it. I am not totally convinced yet, but it seemed to me that the picture from my Google Fiber TV was better when I switched it to PC mode. I also hooked it up to my laptop and the text was much more crisp in PC mode (duh) so I'll probably end up leaving it that way.

Old 09/02/2016, 03:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
It's occurred to me that LuneOS could likely run Moonstone (enyo version for TVs) apps and could be repurposed as a TV box - the RaspberryPi version might be a good place to start. However, the obvious issues would be:
  • It would still be the 'original' style interface - like a TP I suppose (and perhaps this would affect compatibility).
  • Magic remote support would help - no idea how easy this would be.
  • It would likely be difficult to get certain commercial services unless the apps could be directly ported. It would be more of a media player than TV 'service' box.
EDIT: Here's a (perhaps easier) idea: How many TVs get broken with a cracked screen? Most of them? Assuming all of the 'magic' happens before being delivered to the screen, it could be possible to take a broken webOS TV, remove and case the functional guts, then connect it to a new screen. (disclaimer: I'm not a TV engineer!)
In terms of a motion remote, for a raspberry pi, I imagine you could probably use: https://smile.amazon.com/LYNEC-C120-...D011TX7VCV4Z96

As it works like a generic usb mouse and usb keyboard, it could be useful if the environment can support it.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Thanked by Grabber5.0, Preemptive
Old 09/02/2016, 06:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

I forgot to mention the thing that I was most excited about. I had read that usb keyboards worked, which I confirmed - note I used a wireless keyboard with usb receiver. It works with apps that use the built-in onscreen keyboard. So far, the Amazon video app is the only one I've encountered that the keyboard does not work with, because the app has its own keyboard. Another cool find is that the windows key opens and closes the launcher. No "just type" that I can tell - get on it LG! B)

I don't remember reading that USB (again, wireless) mice also work, but they do, so now I can also make use of the pointer as if I had a magic remote! I don't see any reason a motion mouse wouldn't also work, if you had to have a more magic remote like experience.

Jason - based on your description, I assume that kb/mouse you linked to will work with the TVs also?

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 09/02/2016 at 12:53 PM.
Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Old 09/04/2016, 04:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have to say, the Netflix app is much better on the webOS tv than it is on my Fiber TV box, though that's could be partly because I have the keyboard and mouse hooked up. Experience-wise, it's far superior when switching between Netflix and another source, because it takes forever (well, not forever, but much longer than it should) for the Fiber TV box to boot back up after exiting Netflix. I haven't compared video quality, but I watched a little bit of Top Gun and wasn't too impressed with the quality, but it's an older movie so who knows. I need to watch some of it on the TV box and the PC to compare quality.

Old 09/04/2016, 06:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have a 60 and 65 inch with webos (2014 and 2015) models.

I have a HTPC on the 65 inch and works great

What really surprised me is I have a 2TB portable hard drive (WD My Passport Ultra) with about 100 movies on it in all different formats (.mp4, AVI, .MKV) and all I did was plug it in to one of the USB ports in the back of the 60 inch TV and I can watch them if I want to without any extra software or hardware involved.
mmgquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2016, 08:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

Nice. I've been meaning to connect one of my portable drives with some movies on it to see how they play.. will try to do that later tonight.

Old 09/06/2016, 10:12 AM   #17 (permalink)

My TV doesn't seem to like all of the mixed content on my portable hard drives. Neither show up in Smart Share even though it connects and tries to scan them. When I pluggedin my 2 or 3 TB drive, it rebooted after a while. I copied a few movies onto a flash drive and they played alright. Aspect ratio is not automatic (or at least wasn't for the ones I tried) so I had to adjust it on the TV to get it correct. The TV also saw my shares libraries on my laptop and desktop, but complained the connection was unstable. Didn't look like it really even tried to me though.

Old 09/06/2016, 02:48 PM   #18 (permalink)

I can't say for certain that this is the problem but something I recently learned when I contacted LG for some tech support is that there are "two" different versions of Webos. She actually referred it to me as "webos lite".

It's not that the OS is any different but some have software features that others do not. I don't know if that's why yours can't see the hard drive.

My 65 inch was referred to as "webos lite" while my 60 inch was the "full" version. I'll try and plug it into the other TV and see if it can play the videos stored on the HDD
Thanked By: Grabber5.0
Old 09/06/2016, 03:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgquiet View Post
I can't say for certain that this is the problem but something I recently learned when I contacted LG for some tech support is that there are "two" different versions of Webos. She actually referred it to me as "webos lite".

It's not that the OS is any different but some have software features that others do not. I don't know if that's why yours can't see the hard drive.

My 65 inch was referred to as "webos lite" while my 60 inch was the "full" version. I'll try and plug it into the other TV and see if it can play the videos stored on the HDD
@eblade can you confirm or deny this?

Old 09/06/2016, 07:30 PM   #20 (permalink)

The USB drive did work on my second TV that the LG rep referred to as "webos lite". I tried playing 3 different formats (.MP4, AVI, .MKV) and they worked.

The resolutions were different on all 3 movies I tried but they still showed up full screen without me having to make any adjustments.

As far as the "webos full" vs "webos lite" versions, there are certain features the "lite" can't do such as:

1: Renaming the label inputs manually to call them whatever I want

2: The LG "magic remote". Some TV's have it, others are an option you can purchase later as an upgrade while others can't use it at all.

3: There are a couple of other features missing in the "lite" version, I just can't remember them ATM.
Thanked By: Grabber5.0