webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > webOS 2.0? Yes please.
webOS 2.0? Yes please.
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By ananimus
  • 1 Post By petbull
  • 1 Post By ananimus
  • 1 Post By ananimus

Old 04/03/2016, 03:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

It's late, my TV is too small, and an LG 49UF6430 49" UHD webOS tv can be had for $500.

Looked at others and love it and the magic remote. But webOS 3.0 is here, even if $500 is the most I can possibly afford. What do I do?

Man it's good to be back...

(really though, what do I do?)
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2016, 03:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Context: My current TV is a dumb 720p 32" that's now hard to see from the far side of the room, connected to a smart bluray player. This thing feels like a great deal for a shrewd gadget miser, though I wonder if the interface will be laggy.
Old 04/03/2016, 07:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I think webOS 1.0 TVs got an upgrade to 2.0 - or a partial feature upgrade where the older hardware permitted.

I also think I read some where that an LGwebOS 3.0 upgrade would be available to 2.0 models, but I'm not sure.

You could start by checking akitayo's posts of LG announcements

Good to see you back
Old 04/03/2016, 08:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome back ananimus!
If you can grab a 2.0 television for that price and it fits your budget - I'd say grab it and you'll love it. The 2.0 version did increase the startup speed of the system when turning on the TV and added a few tweaks to the menu. I've got first generation V1.0 42" television that was upgraded to V2.0 and works great. I've also got a 2nd generation V2.0 55" television that will get the next upgrade, but unless they bring something dramatic to the table, I wouldn't care about the upgrade. Honestly, I'm more interested in seeing them get a few more main apps for the system (ie: Sling or HBO) that are missing instead of software upgrades.

My advice would be to grab the TV and enjoy!

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus and petbull like this.
Old 04/03/2016, 07:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
You could start by checking akitayo's posts of LG announcements
Ohhh thanks, I am out of touch. Should have thought to search here more than the web in general when I was looking for more info on which TVs were released when!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
My advice would be to grab the TV and enjoy!
Hahaha, I did pull the trigger! Then I later found out this is a 2015 webOS 2.0 unit, but doesn't have a Magic Remote. Thought they all had it. I even tried to cancel the order and look for a different model, but was too late so guess I'll just have to enjoy what I ordered!

Will the TV work with one if I pick it up after the fact? Does the newer Magic Remote actually add very much to the experience?

Guess I'll get back to browsing these wonderous forums!
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 04/03/2016, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sigh. After reading every single thread, review, and tech spec sheet I could find with no clear answer, I finally unearthed this response from LGAnswers buried in Best Buy's Q&A section:

Quote:
Regrettably, the ENERGY STARŪ Qualified LG 49" Class (48.5" Diagonal) 4K UHD Smart LED TV w/ webOS 2.0, Model # 49UF6430 is not Magic Remote Compatible.
I want to believe! But it isn't listed even supporting it with the addition of their BT dongle AN-WF500. Blergh!
Old 04/04/2016, 07:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
Ohhh thanks, I am out of touch. Should have thought to search here more than the web in general when I was looking for more info on which TVs were released when!

Hahaha, I did pull the trigger! Then I later found out this is a 2015 webOS 2.0 unit, but doesn't have a Magic Remote. Thought they all had it. I even tried to cancel the order and look for a different model, but was too late so guess I'll just have to enjoy what I ordered!

Will the TV work with one if I pick it up after the fact? Does the newer Magic Remote actually add very much to the experience?

Guess I'll get back to browsing these wonderous forums!
I had the exact same experience when I bought my 55". I was soooo excited when I got it home and then found that it didn't come with the Magic Remote. I was shocked because I thought that it came with every webOS tv. Arg!! I tried using it, but after having it on my 42", I ended up taking it back and paying a few more bucks for one that had the remote. That remote does make it an even nicer experience IMHO.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: ananimus
Old 04/04/2016, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

My dog ate my remote. But the TV still works great and my Harmony moves between most of the menus.
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2016, 11:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petbull View Post
My dog ate my remote. But the TV still works great and my Harmony moves between most of the menus.
Ha! I was actually thinking one advantage might be getting a Harmony. A thread talking about issues mentioned the motion control makes Magic Remote a pain if you don't have a hub too. Maybe a win?

Anyway, arrived today (sitting on my freaking doorstep!?). Already blown away. Great size and image for my bigger living room. ^_^ Can't wait to watch some 4k Jessica Jones.
Old 04/10/2016, 06:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Oh... oh my goodness. Broadcast HD looks amazing. Netflix and YouTube apps are super nice and wow.

Streaming HD. So nice I could weep. (Watching beautiful, sappy music videos.)

Screen sharing is freakin' awesome with my Lumia 735 and Asus tablet.

Why did I wait to do this? If I connect a HD/SSD to the USB port, can this thing record live TV too...?

Do think the magic remote might be nice for typing and some screen nav, but the online apps are pretty good at making typing not necessary. Wait... wait a second!

Just found a 3rd party remote app for webOS TVs. Everything works, except the keyboard.

Edit: The developer's site warns that the keyboard only works on apps that use the standard webOS keyboard. This proves true, and unfortunately YouTube uses its own keyboard. Wah wah. Still better though as the trackpad is good enough to mouse that one. The Windows Phone app is "LG webOS TV Remote."

Last edited by ananimus; 04/10/2016 at 08:33 PM.
Liked by Grabber5.0 likes this.