webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > Both sides from LG 55UF850T randomly dims
Both sides from LG 55UF850T randomly dims

Old 02/28/2016, 07:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

I am
Owning Lg55UF850T. I have it hooked up to my PC. Randomly when ever I am using my PC THE FOLLOWING THING HAPPENS. Picture attached. https://flic.kr/p/EtfUSF
But when I turn the TV off and then ON everything is back to normal. This is happenimg randomly. Can anyone please help
Selva Kumar A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2016, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Your model appears to be an LED TV. i.e. It uses LEDs to backlight the LCD panel evenly. The dimming of course suggests a back light failure, but if it is intermittent, then clearly individual LEDs have not failed.

Are you certain that this occurs ONLY when displaying an image from your PC? If so, it may indicate a PC or connection fault rather than a problem with the TV itself, though the fault may still be in the interaction - your TV may not 'like' your PC.

My guesses of possible failures:
  • Poor connection - check the cable from PC to TV is securely connected at both ends.
  • Bad cable - Check and swap with a known good cable to ensure a good signal is being sent. (obviously, these last two will take some time if the problem is random, depending on how often it occurs)
  • The signal sent by the PC is incorrect in some way or there is a problem with the PC graphics card. (the best way to check is to see if the problem occurs on a different TV)
  • Software bug in TV screen control software - refer to LG service.
  • Hardware fault in TV screen LED circuits - refer to LG service.

The problem with intermittent faults is of course that and engineer will plug in the TV, it will light up and look fine and the conclusion will be, "It works fine, no problem." and you will then be charged for the inspection.

You have your photograph and anything you can do to replicate the fault will help you. Is it truly random, or does it take place after a certain amount of time? Does it occur when the devices reach a certain temperature for example?

Last edited by Preemptive; 02/28/2016 at 12:44 PM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2016, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

I will follow the ideas and get back within a day. Thanks for the reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
Your model appears to be an LED TV. i.e. It uses LEDs to backlight the LCD panel evenly. The dimming of course suggests a back light failure, but if it is intermittent, then clearly individual LEDs have not failed.

Are you certain that this occurs ONLY when displaying an image from your PC? If so, it may indicate a PC or connection fault rather than a problem with the TV itself, though the fault may still be in the interaction - your TV may not 'like' your PC.

My guesses of possible failures:
  • Poor connection - check the cable from PC to TV is securely connected at both ends.
  • Bad cable - Check and swap with a known good cable to ensure a good signal is being sent. (obviously, these last two will take some time if the problem is random, depending on how often it occurs)
  • The signal sent by the PC is incorrect in some way or there is a problem with the PC graphics card. (the best way to check is to see if the problem occurs on a different TV)
  • Software bug in TV screen control software - refer to LG service.
  • Hardware fault in TV screen LED circuits - refer to LG service.

The problem with intermittent faults is of course that and engineer will plug in the TV, it will light up and look fine and the conclusion will be, "It works fine, no problem." and you will then be charged for the inspection.

You have your photograph and anything you can do to replicate the fault will help you. Is it truly random, or does it take place after a certain amount of time? Does it occur when the devices reach a certain temperature for example?
Selva Kumar A is offline   Reply With Quote