webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > Is webOS capable of streaming videos from NAS server (SMB)
Is webOS capable of streaming videos from NAS server (SMB)

Old 01/19/2016, 05:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hello,
I am thinking of buying new TV (LG UHD 4K SMART 55UF680V). It has webOS 2.0. I am using NAS server (SAMBA, not Plex) and I have a lot of media on it. Now I am using Samsung TV that can stream media from NAS. My question is: Can webOS stream movies (with subtitles) from NAS?
Thank you for your answers!
demokedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2016, 03:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi,

I have a new TV with WebOS 2.0 on it. I am not using Plex or anything else.

I know that my NAS (synology) is compatible with DLNA, and LG tv also. So I only start the smartshare app of the TV, then I have access to my directories of my NAS.

Then I simply launch my movie. If you have an SRT file with the same name of your movie file, the tv will display the subtitle. I had sometimes some problem with the encoding of the subtitle (I'm french). But that's quite rare.

Regards,
Sam'
maxoudela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2016, 07:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The TV cannot directly read a Windows Share (although I do hear that there are at least two different people that are working on apps to provide that), but if your NAS provides DLNA, then it can use that to pick it up using the SmartShare app. There may be other options as well.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote