webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > LG to unveil WebOS 3.0 at CES 2016
LG to unveil WebOS 3.0 at CES 2016
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By akitayo
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre

Old 12/21/2015, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

LG TO UNVEIL NEW VERSION OF POPULAR WEBOS SMART TV PLATFORM AT CES 2016
webOS 3.0 to Feature Enhanced Mobile Connection,
Remote Features and More Content Options

SEOUL, Dec. 22, 2015 — At the 2016 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, LG will unveil its latest SMART TV lineup featuring the newest webOS 3.0 smart TV platform. LG webOS 3.0 was designed to provide an exceptional user experience to allow for more intuitive navigation of the TV’s features.

Since its introduction in 2014, LG webOS has been praised as one of the most versatile smart TV platforms by most major industry experts and publications. With enhanced options and more content, webOS 3.0 continues to offer the key features that made webOS so loved while introducing new innovations to appeal to a wider audience.

LG webOS 3.0 offers three magic smart features: Magic Zoom, Magic Mobile Connection and an upgraded Magic Remote, taking the user experience to a whole new level.

Magic Zoom enables users to magnify objects and letters without any degradation in picture quality. And with Magic Mobile Connection users can easily connect a mobile phone to their LG SMART TV via the LG TV Plus App on their mobile device to access mobile apps on the TV screen.

The upgraded Magic Remote is designed to make controlling set-top boxes (STB) easier with the addition of buttons on the remote. The Screen Remote feature has also been redesigned to simplify the user interface for less clutter and more convenience.

Designed with the aim of providing an easier way of enjoying quality digital content, webOS 3.0 introduces Channel Plus, a unique feature which provides a wide range of over-the-top (OTT) content in a user-friendly format.

Channel Plus offers a unified channel list that combines OTT content with familiar broadcast TV channels, enabling users to watch OTT content by surfing through channels as they normally would. Channel Plus can also be controlled with an app to provide program recommendations via on-screen widgets. Through a partnership with Xumo (Xumo), Channel Plus offers an abundance of high quality, free digital content from broadcasters and publications such as Bloomberg, TIME Inc., Condé Nast Entertainment and The Wall Street Journal.

To appeal to a larger audience, a variety of premium content such as that of BuzzFeed, PopSugar, and Mode Media, from rising Digital Networks and Multi-Channel Networks (MCNs) is also available on Channel Plus as well as international channel packages.

LG SMART TV with webOS 3.0 offers an abundance of other new and updated features to take home viewing to a whole new level of entertainment:

Channel Advisor analyzes viewing patterns and displays upcoming time slots with program information about frequently watched programs

Multi-view allows you to watch two different channels at the same time or a channel and a Blu-ray movie, for example

Music Player app plays music through the webOS 3.0 TV speakers, even when the TV is off
My Channels and Live Menu have been upgraded with new sub-features to make them more useful to viewers
IoTV app allows on-screen control of smart home appliances from LG and other manufacturers that are compatible with LG IoTV

“We are excited about webOS 3.0, a major update since this advanced TV platform technology was first introduced in 2014,” said Brian Kwon, President and CEO at LG’s Home Entertainment Company. “The webOS story of Simple Connection, Simple Switching and Simple Discovery has really connected with customers and illustrates very clearly our commitment to securing a leadership role in the smart TV market with innovation and creativity.”

LG’s webOS 3.0 SMART TVs for 2016 will be showcased at the company’s booth at the Las Vegas Convention Center, Central Hall #8204 from January 6-9.

LG TO UNVEIL NEW VERSION OF POPULAR WEBOS SMART TV PLATFORM AT CES 2016 | LG Newsroom
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 12/22/2015, 08:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Would it also come as a software update? That would be the best Christmas present ever
mrmarquis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2015, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarquis9 View Post
Would it also come as a software update? That would be the best Christmas present ever
No news yet. However 2014 models with WebOS 1.0 were upgraded to WebOS 2.0 but with limited functions.

2015 models arrived with the full WebOS 2.0 features.

IMHO LG will announce after CES 2016 what will be the year models that will be upgraded to WebOS 3.0 or maybe a little earlier.

Last edited by akitayo; 12/22/2015 at 09:33 PM.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2015, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

The LG tv with built-in Roku advertised by Best Buy this weekend doesn't encourage me about the future of webOS with LG.

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2015, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
The LG tv with built-in Roku advertised by Best Buy this weekend doesn't encourage me about the future of webOS with LG.
Meh.. Roku introduced that TV quite a while ago. No impact on the market (it's a really low end company they are using). I'd rather stick with a Roku add-on personally (love my Roku 3).

As for LG talking about webOS 3.0 - screw that - just give me some dang apps! They haven't had a new, or useful app added since they introduced the 1.0 TVs. Grrrrrrrrr

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by petbull likes this.
Old 12/23/2015, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
I can put a positive (if entirely hypothetical) spin on this.

I think 20 people got laid off. Sad for them, but clearly LGwebOS 3.0 was finished (or close enough) before that happened. I don't know how many people work at LG SVL & the ratio of layoffs to total workers might give some insight about if this is a slimming down or a larger and more worrisome cut.

It could be be that this third iteration made LG webOS all it needs to be for now - remember the rumours that elegance was being sacrifjced for feature bloat? Sometimes it's good to pause when a product is good enough. New services can come in app-form until tech trends or H/W improvements require a version 4.0.

It seems Roku is a very popular set top box and a deal has been done - possibly to serve the lower end of the market. Does this look familiar?
NOW TV Box | TV media player. Stream movies, tv and sports on your TV | NOW TV

What's the interface like on a Roku? Maybe they could do with a fancy card-based one? LG could collect license fees while a third party supplies the set-top box market. Of course, LG would need to make a business decision on whether this would benefit them or compete with them...

(remember this is all entirely speculation)
Old 12/24/2015, 07:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Had an update today to 5.0.45. Still webos 1.4 afro ashley. I can't see anything different.

the only app I use anymore is to connect to my laptop. They really don't even have a decent weather app.
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2015, 09:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petbull View Post
Had an update today to 5.0.45. Still webos 1.4 afro ashley. I can't see anything different.

the only app I use anymore is to connect to my laptop. They really don't even have a decent weather app.
Yes, I got an update the other day too. Unfortunately, the only thing I use on my TV is the Netflix app and the inputs to flip over to either my Roku or Chromecast. Until they get more apps (like Sling) it won't matter what version of webOS the machines are running because there is barely anything to run on them.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2015, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Apps... A sad familiar story for webOS...

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2015, 10:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Apps... A sad familiar story for webOS...
I hate that word now! Apps apps apps ppbbbbbbtt!