webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > pivotCE: Lay-offs at LG Silicon Valley Lab
pivotCE: Lay-offs at LG Silicon Valley Lab
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Preemptive

Old 12/17/2015, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

It seems there are a number of lay-offs occurring at LG’s Silicon Valley Lab. Long-time readers will recall that is where the webOS TV operating system was developed after the original codebase and team were purchased from HP. A significant number of developers of the Enyo app development framework are also being cut.
Read on...

Last edited by Preemptive; 12/18/2015 at 05:38 PM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 12/18/2015, 07:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

I wish them all good luck! I hope they find the job they want quickly.

As for LG, I never felt like they were all in anyway. They still sell their old Smart TV system side by side with WebOS. the apps are mostly ports from that ecosystem and are few. Just another chapter in WebOS history, or is this the epilogue?
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2015, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

I hope it is just them restructuring departments and nothing more. I just bought a second (55") webOS TV.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2015, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petbull View Post
I wish them all good luck! I hope they find the job they want quickly.

As for LG, I never felt like they were all in anyway. They still sell their old Smart TV system side by side with WebOS. the apps are mostly ports from that ecosystem and are few. Just another chapter in WebOS history, or is this the epilogue?
Really? I thought it was on pretty much everything (smart). These old style ones aren't just end of line?

Given the history, it's pretty crazy for LG to overlook the eco-system - it's not like you need the numbers of apps that phones and tablets have. What you need is:
  1. Apps that deliver video (probably made by LG or content partners)
  2. Information (weather, news etc)
  3. Casual games (probably can't compete with a dedicated Xbox / PS)
The second two could have been started with re-purposed apps from the old catalog. Adjust the viewport & control method.

One more thing that I'd say makes sense is that big screen would make a very nice shop window, but that might only require a browser or a simple app that formats a web-shop's assets for widescreen 4K - might see an uptick on sales!

If LG wants to retain Android on Phones & tablets (remember, they already dropped it from TVs), then eco-system-wise, what's left is home control & automation. They have the connectSDK for that. It's nice, but until domestic products from light bulbs to washing machines come with it built in, adding it is a bit pricey and not a big driver of sales.

My opinion: It's a TV. If it's easy to navigate and get any source of motion picture on it + the web, the battle is mostly won.

It seems to me that LG have the hardware - their screens are well reviewed and they appear to be leader in OLED (which IS the future). webOS also seems to be the best reviewed TV OS. The only thing that can go wrong is content / eco-system. This is the lesson Sony learned when Betamax was beaten by VHS and is why they now own a movie studio. Content is the key.

Last edited by Preemptive; 12/18/2015 at 01:48 PM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2015, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
Really? I thought it was on pretty much everything (smart). These old style ones aren't just end of line?
Nope, new models for the last 2 years. I haven't shopped for TV's since I rushed out to get my webOS 1.0 tv, but I see them in Costco all the time.

LG 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) 1080P Smart LED LCD TV 55LF6090
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2015, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

LG cuts staff from Silicon Valley lab, says webOS development will continue | The Verge

Well, we scooped the verge! (though they have a few more details)
Old 12/18/2015, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

They still sell the other kind at Sam's too

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote