webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > My new TV is driving me crazy and not in a good way :(
My new TV is driving me crazy and not in a good way :(
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Macco26
  • 1 Post By eblade

Old 09/20/2015, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

I recently bought a LG 42LB6500 that came with a magic remote that has no numbers. Also the user manual is terrible so I'm missing most of the features because I can't figure out how to use them. My current WebOS version is 1.4.0-2504 (afro-ashley).

My first question is: where can I find comprehensive documentation to get the most out of my new tv?
Then I have questions about specific things I find very frustrating to use:

Changing channels:
I can't figure out an easy way to change channels. Voice commands (in Spanish) don't work: saying "channels", "change channel", "channel 7" or anything like that provides me with useless suggestions. I also read somewhere that having the OK button pressed and drawing the channel number on screen would work, but it does nothing here...
I know there's a on-screen number pad but I find it very slow to use, since I have to point at a number, press ok, point at another number, press ok, point at the channel to confirm, press ok. Not easy to do when you're watching tv laying on your bed. I'd rather just press 2 buttons on a remote and have it done.

Voice commands:
I find this almost useless... At least for the TV functionality (I prefer my computer when I need to properly use the internet). Is there a list of available commands I can use in Spanish? Or this thing only understands English? If so, is there a list of English commands?

Favorite channels:
I managed to set up a group of my favorite channels and store them as "favorite A", by going to settings > advanced settings > channels > manage channels > favorite > favorite A. All is well so far, I was able to save a group of my favorite channels. But now how do I use them? I'd like to have the up/down buttons (or the OK wheel) to go only through these favorite channels instead of the whole available channel list. However, I don't see this happening and I don't see how I can do this. If it's not possible, then what's the point of saving a list of my favorite channels?

Sleep:
Again, is there an easier way to tell my tv to "go to sleep" after a specific amount of time? My very old tv would do this by just repeatedly pressing 1 button until you got the right time. With this tv I have to press the smartTV button, go to settings, go down 4 options until I find the right one, press ok, click repeatedly to the right until I set up the time, press the back button.
Also, a voice command does nothing here.

Sorry for the lenghty post, but I'm very disappointed with this TV so far
I'd love to have a little guidance on how to make it more usable, since the experience so far has frustrated me.

Thanks!!
patr1c1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2015, 01:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

First things first:

FAVORITES
In the LIVE Menu, you need to press on the Filter icon, then request to show ONLY Favorites A. This way all other channels will be hidden (you can reach them only by numpad).

That's the way I use the most. The scroll wheel of the Magic Remote is pretty fast and you don't need to wait every channel start displaying. Just roll on it and reach the channel # you desire in your limited and filtered Fav list. This scroll applies even w/o a Fav list, but of course it requires more.. rolling.

Fav List filtering will be kept upon TV turn off. So you're golden.

VOICE
Can't help you on Speach recognition. I hardly use it, but it seems it recognize Italian, so it should do so for Spanish as well, after you've checked your language is well set in the Settings.

SLEEP
By upgrading to the firmware 5.0.0.4 coming these days, the settings menu will be reworked. There is a pretty immediate Sleep Timer icon as soon as you click on the Settings button. All the rest of advanced settings are gone in the ellipsis ...

SEEKING CHANNELS
In addition to the method of the scrolling wheel, the new firmware adds a My Channel tile in the WebOS taskbar. You can pin your more requested Channels. Imagine that as an additional Fav list, presumably smaller than the Fav A you're going to use anyway.

USER MANUAL:
Have you checked the On line User Manual? There is an app in the WebOS Taskbar if I am not wrong.
Macco26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Thanked By: patr1c1a
Old 09/23/2015, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macco26 View Post
First things first:

FAVORITES
In the LIVE Menu, you need to press on the Filter icon, then request to show ONLY Favorites A. This way all other channels will be hidden (you can reach them only by numpad).

That's the way I use the most. The scroll wheel of the Magic Remote is pretty fast and you don't need to wait every channel start displaying. Just roll on it and reach the channel # you desire in your limited and filtered Fav list. This scroll applies even w/o a Fav list, but of course it requires more.. rolling.

Fav List filtering will be kept upon TV turn off. So you're golden.

VOICE
Can't help you on Speach recognition. I hardly use it, but it seems it recognize Italian, so it should do so for Spanish as well, after you've checked your language is well set in the Settings.

SLEEP
By upgrading to the firmware 5.0.0.4 coming these days, the settings menu will be reworked. There is a pretty immediate Sleep Timer icon as soon as you click on the Settings button. All the rest of advanced settings are gone in the ellipsis ...

SEEKING CHANNELS
In addition to the method of the scrolling wheel, the new firmware adds a My Channel tile in the WebOS taskbar. You can pin your more requested Channels. Imagine that as an additional Fav list, presumably smaller than the Fav A you're going to use anyway.

USER MANUAL:
Have you checked the On line User Manual? There is an app in the WebOS Taskbar if I am not wrong.
Thanks very much, Macco!

About the guide, I read the built-in manual but I still find advanced instructions are missing (like the one to filter channels, or available voice commands). I have set up my tv to recognize commands in Spanish and it does, but I don't know exactly what commands are available for me to use.

Regarding filters, I've just checked the settings and it's set up just like you said: filter A is selected (http://k30.kn3.net/1/5/3/9/3/4/AE0.jpg). However, the wheel still goes through the whole channel list. I'm subscribed to a "regular" tv service, the kind that sends only a tv signal with no additional information about the channels (it makes the TV Guide function useless to me, but that's the only service I get where I live). Could that be the reason for the favorite channels list not to work?

Thanks again for your time
patr1c1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2015, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

If the 1.4.0 update brings you the "Channels in Launcher" feature (i'm not sure if it's geographically restricted or not), there should be a "Channels" tile in your main launcher as the second or third tile. You can add the current channel you are viewing from there, I believe, and it will just be in your launcher ready for easy access. That list is separate from the TV App's favorite channels list...

I've never used the voice commands, can't help there.

As far as changing channels go, I just use the in-launcher feature. Or the guide built into the TV app. Or the program guide. Then again, I only have about 8 local TV channels that come in, so that's not prohibitive to me. I can see that being a PITA for someone with 50 channels of local TV.

As far as sleep timer goes, that is the new "fast" way to get there, assuming that you're talking about hitting the "Quick Settings" that is in the upper right corner, and has a sleep timer in it. Sorry that we didn't get it to be fast enough for you. :-S Any suggestions for improving on that? (other than adding a button to the remote specifically for it)
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Old 09/28/2015, 09:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patr1c1a View Post
Regarding filters, I've just checked the settings and it's set up just like you said: filter A is selected (http://k30.kn3.net/1/5/3/9/3/4/AE0.jpg). However, the wheel still goes through the whole channel list.
The link is forbidden, but:
- if you have correctly STARred your Fav channels (is not that intuitive to do so in the Channel Management, please double check that Fav A has the fav. channels actually STARred)
- you have Filtered in the Live Menu

I am pretty sure that rolling the wheel during normal watching (no OSD displayed) should work to change among those few channels. No matter what TV Guides say. At least Live Menu is limiting the rows to just the Channels in your Fav A list?

Anyway, go and update to the latest firmware ASAP. Being in Italy I'm pretty sure it's available to Spain as well. At least you'd get the My Channel app in the WebOs Taskbar, that way.
Macco26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, magic remote