webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > LG will offer FREE WebOS 2.0 package to WebOS 1.0 Smart TV owners
LG will offer FREE WebOS 2.0 package to WebOS 1.0 Smart TV owners
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By akitayo
  • 1 Post By petbull

Old 09/01/2015, 02:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

Those are great news for you guys who bought the first gen of LG WebOS 1.0 smart TVs. However if the Press Release below is remarking 4 Main features , there must be more than 4 if you own a 2015 version???

Press Release:

LG TO OFFER FREE VALUE PACK UPGRADE TO webOS 1.0 SMART TV OWNERS
Upgrade Includes webOS 2.0’s Four Main Features and Enhanced Speed

SEOUL, Sep. 1, 2015 — Owners of LG Electronics’ (LG) webOS 1.0 Smart TV owners will receive a free Value Pack Upgrade which include four main features of the latest webOS 2.0 platform. Upgraded LG webOS TVs will receive My Channels, Quick Setting, Input Picker and Live Menu, improving the user experience with a more intuitive layout, convenient shortcuts, quicker boot-up time and faster response when switching between applications.

My Channels allows users to place their favorite Live TV Channels or Set-top Box Channels on the Launcher Bar for more convenient access. Quick Settings lets viewers adjust their webOS TVs without interrupting the program they are watching and Input Picker allows connected devices to be recognized instantly for immediate use. The upgrade also improves the UI (User Interface) of Live Menu for easier and more intuitive searching of content.

“LG is dedicated to providing the best user experience for the life of our smart TVs,” said Lee In-kyu, senior vice president and head of the TV and Monitor Division at LG’s Home Entertainment Company. “A free upgrade of this scale is unprecedented in the smart TV industry and we’re proud to be setting a new standard for smart TV ownership.”

The upgrade for webOS 1.0 will begin rolling out starting September 21. Owners of webOS 1.0 TVs who have the automatic update option enabled will receive the upgrade automatically. If automatic update is not enabled, users will receive a pop-up message on their screen to guide them through the easy upgrade process, step by step.

Visitors to IFA 2015 can experience the Value Pack Upgrade for themselves at LG’s booth in Hall 18 of Messe Berlin from September 4-9.

LG TO OFFER FREE VALUE PACK UPGRADE TO webOS 1.0 SMART TV OWNERS | LG Newsroom
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman, petbull and elvispre like this.
Old 09/01/2015, 07:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

I am grateful for the update but I am concerned about how these older(!) TV's will perform with the new system. Hopefully, there will be an improvement but i think the big limitation will be memory and processing power. When web browsing under the current system, I often get the out of memory message. And it's slow. But it's a TV and it works very well at that part!
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2015, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petbull View Post
I am grateful for the update but I am concerned about how these older(!) TV's will perform with the new system. Hopefully, there will be an improvement but i think the big limitation will be memory and processing power. When web browsing under the current system, I often get the out of memory message. And it's slow. But it's a TV and it works very well at that part!
It reads like it's a LGwebOS 1.0 upgrade with improvements and features from version 2 rather than a 'full-upgrade' to v2 (if that makes sense). Hopefully it's tested on old sets to ensure there's an improvement rather than cramming S/W features onto H/W that can't handle it.
Old 09/01/2015, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

If they cherry-picked out only the changes to make those features happen, into the 1.0 version, then someone did -way- more work than they should have lol

@petbull i wouldn't expect the browser to experience significant improvement in memory usage. It might get a little better - 2.0 is possibly a little more liberal about throwing things out when the user isn't looking at them than 1.0, so there might be some improvement in memory available when you're looking at it, but i wouldn't expect too much.

I just wish that I hadn't just wandered into a giant pile of expenses waiting to happen this quarter, so I could drop by MicroCenter and see if I can grab a great clearance deal on a 2014 model
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2015, 03:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

i have webos 2.0 on my lg lb650v beta version and it works better than 1.0. there are some slowdowns and they are caused by animated menus.

the main problem of web os is lack of apps. ther is no facebook, instagram, gmail, drive, twitter, snapchat, google photos, picassa, spotify!

good we have youtube, because this OS is useless
Bartosz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2015, 06:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
I just wish that I hadn't just wandered into a giant pile of expenses waiting to happen this quarter, so I could drop by MicroCenter and see if I can grab a great clearance deal on a 2014 model
I'm fortunate enough to live about a mile or two from Microcenter. I was there over the weekend. I love that store. My wife hates it and won't go there. Bonus!

Their selection of LG tv's has diminshed. A year ago, they were everywhere, now there is a bunch of chinese refurbished TV's. 50" 4K for $399. Yikes! ANyway, I didn't get a chance to play with Webos 2.0, not that it would matter. I jumped all over 1.0 and I'm not replacing it anytime soon.
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by eblade likes this.
Old 09/02/2015, 06:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartosz88 View Post
i have webos 2.0 on my lg lb650v beta version and it works better than 1.0. there are some slowdowns and they are caused by animated menus.

the main problem of web os is lack of apps. ther is no facebook, instagram, gmail, drive, twitter, snapchat, google photos, picassa, spotify!

good we have youtube, because this OS is useless
I'm surprised to read that as there were apps for the majority of those services on the original webOS. I would have thought it would be easy for LG to make them for the bigger screen.

Is there no email app which you can set up for Gmail? The old app works with a number of services. It has a template for Gmail.

Of course, some apps merely package web services for the smaller screen of a phone. On my computer, I'd just go to the website. Given the size of a TV screen, perhaps it is assumed that you will use the browser - why do you need an app for these web services?

Example: Spotify web player. I do actually have this app on my computer & webOS phone. But the web version works fine.

Last edited by Preemptive; 09/02/2015 at 07:03 AM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2015, 09:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

I remember seeing the spotify apps in the store itself and few other apps.
squall77 is offline   Reply With Quote