Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Okay, so...

    I have the LGUB8500 (55" 4K 3D Smart TV) and it was released in 2014; of course, at CES they announce the all new WebOS 2.0 TVs and I'm sitting here like "wtf?"

    Does anybody have word on if the newer models actually out now will be "upgradeable" to 2.0?

    Sorta gonna be ticked if they can't be.....
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by svargas05 View Post
    Okay, so...

    I have the LGUB8500 (55" 4K 3D Smart TV) and it was released in 2014; of course, at CES they announce the all new WebOS 2.0 TVs and I'm sitting here like "wtf?"

    Does anybody have word on if the newer models actually out now will be "upgradeable" to 2.0?

    Sorta gonna be ticked if they can't be.....
    It has been confirmed already that they WON'T receive the update to 2.0 (probably due to the hardware not being able to run it properly), however it WILL keep receiving updates to 1.0.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  3. #3  
    It's the Pixi plus all over again.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T


    LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
  4. BlueRQ's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by svargas05 View Post
    Okay, so...

    I have the LGUB8500 (55" 4K 3D Smart TV) and it was released in 2014; of course, at CES they announce the all new WebOS 2.0 TVs and I'm sitting here like "wtf?"

    Does anybody have word on if the newer models actually out now will be "upgradeable" to 2.0?

    Sorta gonna be ticked if they can't be.....
    according to the news info in the lg website... some of the Smart+ not the Smart devices will get the update...

    if you look into the specs of the webOS tvs in the LG webOS developer site... you will see that the 4k tvs have twice the RAM and a bit more processor... so that said..

    i hope the RAM is the difference between being updated and dont...
    if not, i will hurt someone at LG because i have bought another 55ub8500 1 day before that announcement....

    heres the specs:
    http://developer.lge.com/webOSTV/discover/webostv-spec/

    RQ

    long live webOS [ ]]]
    Last edited by BlueRQ; 01/14/2015 at 10:07 PM.
    webOS [[[ ]
    Remy X likes this.
  5. #5  
    All, here some nuance Existing webOS TVs might not be webOS 2.0 upgradable - News - Trusted Reviews but still, we should put LG some pressure to get this update, I also own a 2014 4K WebOS TV and I would be really pissed off not getty any major update to such a recent piece of expensive hardware ! I already opened an official ticket at the French support site, but still no answer, if someone at LG read this forum...
  6. #6  
    Hi,

    I think you are looking at it the wrong way.

    I just found out today, that webos 2.0 has a good chance on not coming the all the dual core TV (but still may).

    But I ordered a new one today, the 47lb650v (450 form coop, with 30 code). The 47lb650v was 850 at the start and has gone down to 450 to 500, since July (just 6 months). The new one will be the same.

    I plan to sell my one I got today, for 250+ in 1 year. Then buy a web os 2.0 TV, this time next year for about the same as my new one(450), maybe a bit earlier on black Friday. So that's +200 + = a total of 650 and I get a new TV today and a new TV next year. All for less then it would cost to get web OS 2.0 within the first couple of months.

    PS. don't but a TV in the first 3 months of it coming out.

    :-)
    Last edited by deadfully; 01/26/2015 at 02:56 AM.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by deadfully View Post
    Hi,

    I think you are looking at it the wrong way.

    I just found out today, that webos 2.0 has a good chance on not coming the all the dual core TV (but still may).

    But I ordered a new one today, the 47lb650v (450 form coop, with 30 code). The 47lb650v was 850 at the start and has gone down to 450 to 500, since July (just 6 months). The new one will be the same.

    I plan to sell my one I got today, for 250+ in 1 year. Then buy a web os 2.0 TV, this time next year for about the same as my new one(450), maybe a bit earlier on black Friday. So that's +200 + = a total of 650 and I get a new TV today and a new TV next year. All for less then it would cost to get web OS 2.0 within the first couple of months.

    PS. don't but a TV in the first 3 months of it coming out.

    :-)
    Just got the 47lb650v 441 with cash back (quidco) form coop.

    Was it like a ZX81 loading a app via tape ? I thought it would after some user reviews I have read. But..

    Love it, I was expecting it to take 15 sec to start up (it dose after a patch and 1st time), but its about 4 secs now. Volume can be turned down as soon as it comes up. Once everything is loaded in the background, 45 secs. Its nice and fast. input takes about 2 secs, or less. Even the guild is OK at about 5 secs, but instant once loaded, about BT Vision speed.

    I'm happy with the speed and may not even upgrading the TV to webos 2.0, just for the speed.

    PS. Manually update the TV first time you use it, its on the General menu and I would select auto update too.

    Wish it had an option to pre load 2 or 3 apps.
    Last edited by deadfully; 01/29/2015 at 03:26 PM.
  8. #8  
    LG updates 2014 TVs to Web OS 2.0 - CNET

    "The company has confirmed to CNET that its 2014 Web OS 1.0-equipped TVs, including sets like the 55EC9300 OLED, will be updated to version 2.0 of the operating system."

    good (if true)
  9. #9  
    That's a nice surprise given that it was previously thought (or said) that they would not.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  10. #10  
    Didn't see that coming. One worry is the amount of memory in the TV. I've had it lock up on websites that involve a lot of graphics.

    And I haven't noticed the interface being slow, has anyone else? I wouldn't call it snappy, but it is a TV!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    LG updates 2014 TVs to Web OS 2.0 - CNET

    "The company has confirmed to CNET that its 2014 Web OS 1.0-equipped TVs, including sets like the 55EC9300 OLED, will be updated to version 2.0 of the operating system."

    good (if true)
    Sweet news if that's the actual plan!
  12. #12  
    Kudos to LG for doing the right thing and not leaving its millions of launch customers behind. Had a friend over a few days ago that is thinking it's about time he upgraded to a Smart TV and really liked the webOS TV - now I can recommend it to him without reservations.
  13. #13  
    It's like HP all over again! Looks like LG get's it and is going for an 'Apple style' combined hardware & software experience: Make good hardware and support the software for a reasonable amount of time.
  14. #14  
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    Didn't see that coming. One worry is the amount of memory in the TV. I've had it lock up on websites that involve a lot of graphics.

    And I haven't noticed the interface being slow, has anyone else? I wouldn't call it snappy, but it is a TV!
    I can neither confirm nor deny anything, but I would suspect that software improvements will lead to a noticeable improvement. Keeping in mind that the lowest end of the 2014 TVs were not dis-similar to the TouchPad, processor/RAM speaking.. and I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the mad dash in the year or so that it took LG to go from Open webOS to released product, lead to software that had room to improve.

    I'm pretty sure this means that there's a 1st gen webOS 55" 4K TV in my very near future now :-)

    This has me excited again :-)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    petbull likes this.
  16. cdjh's Avatar
    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    #16  
    Think this means we'll be able to buy the new remote with number keys too?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    Think this means we'll be able to buy the new remote with number keys too?
    I would suspect that if it's possible to purchase the existing magic remotes (such as for replacement, or for areas that do not receive magic remotes in the box), then one would also likely be able to purchase the newer remotes... as to whether the newer remotes will work with the older tv... i'd say that's probably the case, but i wouldn't be able to confirm without actually doing it.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  18. #18  
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    Think this means we'll be able to buy the new remote with number keys too?
    After you said this I didn't know they had a version with number keys, so I looked.

    LG AN-MR600: Magic Remote Control with Voice Mate™ for Select 2015 Smart TVs | LG USA

    It says "Magic Remote Control with Voice Mate for Select 2015 Smart TVs"

    Perhaps its just a release note that its for 2015 TV's and it may be compatible with older 2014 models (especially if 2.0 releases eventually).

    I could really use this remote with the added buttons.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  20. cdjh's Avatar
    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryancell View Post
    After you said this I didn't know they had a version with number keys, so I looked.

    LG AN-MR600: Magic Remote Control with Voice Mate™ for Select 2015 Smart TVs | LG USA

    It says "Magic Remote Control with Voice Mate for Select 2015 Smart TVs"

    Perhaps its just a release note that its for 2015 TV's and it may be compatible with older 2014 models (especially if 2.0 releases eventually).

    I could really use this remote with the added buttons.
    Played around with the new remote at best buy. Much better than the 2014 style. And they had some 2014 sets so I was able to confirm that the ir works to control power (and probably other ir functions). Question now is if we can pair the new remote to a 2014 TV (they wouldn't let me try) and if all functions work. And even if it doesn't work now, will it work if/when we get webos 2.0 for the 2014?

    Almost want to start a new thread just for this and see if anyone can try pairing a new remote at a store while the 2014s are still on display.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2014 WebOS Alternatives
    By rdesai in forum Open webOS General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01/04/2015, 03:33 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06/01/2014, 12:04 PM
  3. NYC webOS reunion get together 1-9-2014
    By TeckieGirl in forum webOS Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03/20/2014, 06:45 PM
  4. First pictures LG webOS TV at CES 2014
    By akitayo in forum Open webOS General Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03/04/2014, 07:33 AM
  5. WebOS is back baby! at CES 2014
    By alonhzn in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12/24/2013, 09:24 PM

Posting Permissions