webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > CES 2015: LG to stream LIVE tomorrow.
CES 2015: LG to stream LIVE tomorrow.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By akitayo
  • 2 Post By gizmo21

Old 01/04/2015, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

LG Electronics will stream its Press Conference tomorrow Monday January 5th at 8 a.m PST (11am EST, and 4pm GMT) .

What to expect from LG tomorrow?

LG will certainly unveil a new generation of Smart+ TVs running WebOS 2.0 in several sizes and models as well as in different kinds of display material like the quantum dot technolgy for 4K Ultra HD, new kind of OLEDs and LED TV line. Speculations are pointing out to the new LG G Flex 2 will show up at the event.

Source: LG CES 2015: The International Consumer Electronics Show | LG USA

Video reprise:

Last edited by akitayo; 01/06/2015 at 06:43 AM. Reason: update
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Thanked by joshua764, Preemptive
Old 01/04/2015, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Uh-oh!
Old 01/04/2015, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

to dream one more time with a smartphone with webos
joshua764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2015, 11:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Crap.. I missed the live stream.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2015, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

It'll be on https://www.youtube.com/GlobalLG

Nothing exciting or that we didn't already know I'm afraid...
Old 01/05/2015, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
It'll be on https://www.youtube.com/GlobalLG

Nothing exciting or that we didn't already know I'm afraid...
I couldn't agree more, LG is just doing " if it ain't broken, don't fix it " game playing game which is plain and not exciting for in one bit. I though that they would announce something more exciting for WebOS, maybe a cool voice control navigation a la "Amazon TV box" say commands and the TV listens to it. More gestures with the ability to control your TV with your hands like Xbox "Kinect". But once again, LG proves that you can't expected much better from them, with their "safe strategy" boring show off at CES on announcing the same things as last year.

Which raises some questions to WebOS importance to LG , how important WebOS is to LG when it comes to customer market? Why they haven't hire more people to WebOS division, more talent and personnel that could increase productivity? Why they did not show any WebOS watch that could interact with their TV and even certain aspects be able connect to Android phone? Do they even think WebOS could succeed if they introduce a smartphone or tablet on its own? Why not continue with WebOS teams project they left behind when they got bought by LG, the update to WebOS OS codenamed "Eel"?
Old 01/05/2015, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just read through The Verge's live-blog of the event and the last note was interesting, but probably not to the point where the webOS faithful would like to to head:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Verge live-blog
8:56:07 AM PST

We'll have to check out this new webOS 2.0 TV software. Android TV and a whole bunch of other add-on services are seriously undermining the very need for integrated software on TVs, but LG seems bullish about webOS and also teased spreading it out to other Internet of Things devices.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2015, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Am I seeing it correctly that that (LG selects QNX to provide solutions for next-gen automotive systems | CrackBerry.com) means that LG hasn't chosen webOS as their automotive system solution.

well, it might be farfetched to expect otherwise but on the other hand. If they would be super confident with webOS they would have brought it into cars!!!
GoJoe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2015, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJoe2 View Post
Am I seeing it correctly that that (LG selects QNX to provide solutions for next-gen automotive systems | CrackBerry.com) means that LG hasn't chosen webOS as their automotive system solution.

well, it might be farfetched to expect otherwise but on the other hand. If they would be super confident with webOS they would have brought it into cars!!!
LG makes automotive systems?? :?:

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2015, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJoe2 View Post

Are you sure it was LG? Qualcomm referred to QNX when they were mentioning the products their technology is being used in - are you sure you didn't mix up the presentations?

Edit:
Oops - guess I should have clicked the link before posting! Right you are!
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2015, 05:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
I couldn't agree more, LG is just doing " if it ain't broken, don't fix it " game playing game which is plain and not exciting for in one bit. I though that they would announce something more exciting for WebOS, maybe a cool voice control navigation a la "Amazon TV box" say commands and the TV listens to it. More gestures with the ability to control your TV with your hands like Xbox "Kinect". But once again, LG proves that you can't expected much better from them, with their "safe strategy" boring show off at CES on announcing the same things as last year.

Which raises some questions to WebOS importance to LG , how important WebOS is to LG when it comes to customer market? Why they haven't hire more people to WebOS division, more talent and personnel that could increase productivity? Why they did not show any WebOS watch that could interact with their TV and even certain aspects be able connect to Android phone? Do they even think WebOS could succeed if they introduce a smartphone or tablet on its own? Why not continue with WebOS teams project they left behind when they got bought by LG, the update to WebOS OS codenamed "Eel"?
Yeah, I watched the presentation on webOS 2.0 and was seriously underwhelmed. The faster start up time seems to be the most attractive feature, the other stuff seems to be more tinkering around the edges, and now that they're launching version 2.0 I wonder if 1 will even see any more incremental changes or whether 2014 webOS TV owners are officially orphans as of today?
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2015, 06:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
Yeah, I watched the presentation on webOS 2.0 and was seriously underwhelmed. The faster start up time seems to be the most attractive feature, the other stuff seems to be more tinkering around the edges, and now that they're launching version 2.0 I wonder if 1 will even see any more incremental changes or whether 2014 webOS TV owners are officially orphans as of today?
you are only an "OFFICIALLY SEALED" webOS.O.S user if your version is unsupported

So welcome aboard LG users...
Liked by Preemptive and marcedhk like this.
Old 01/05/2015, 06:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
News Contributor

An LG executive is talking about the TV evolution from Plasma to the latest 4Ks before the Netflix executive talks, LG Ex. talked barely without mention it about software and showed in a flash like a slide WebOS 2.0 to retake the stage after the Netflix ex. ended his presentation and then the LG Ex. had a long talk about the new features of WebOS 2.0

My Channels, Quick Start, improvements in processors and some new streaming TV services.

Here part of the video from LG Global Press Conference:

Some lines from http://arc.applause.com/2015/01/05/l...wer-smart-tvs/ They were there live:

LG today announced the next generation of its smart television operating system—webOS 2.0—to power its newest cache of TVs to hit the market in 2015.

At a press event in 2015, LG announced its new line of televisions along with the updates to webOS. The next iteration of webOS will be twice as fast as its previous iteration and will support 4K streaming. The new webOS will also include a new recommended channel menu and a startup menu. WebOS 2.0 will also have a new range of content options, including a GoPro channel and an expanded partnership with Netflix where the streaming platform can support high dynamic range in streaming 4K videos.

Last edited by akitayo; 01/05/2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01/06/2015, 05:35 AM   #14 (permalink)

they saw something on smartphone and smart watches?
joshua764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2015, 06:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

You can also check out our sister site Android Central for coverage of the press conference:

Missed yesterday's CES action? Watch press conferences from Sony, Samsung and LG right here | Android Central
bevcraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2015, 06:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
News Contributor

LG Press Conference Video reprise:

Old 01/06/2015, 02:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

In this article: LG And Mercedes-Benz Join Up To Develop A Self-Driving Cars Platform | PalmGear

it is said:

Quote:
LG also confirmed that it will begin to use its own home entertainment and mobile technology within automobile, so that might seen increased integration with its mobile devices and new options for in-car entertainment.
Now, this leaves room for some interesting speculation but, I think, none to the advantage of webOS.

Considering that they chose QNX from Blackberry as their automotive basis it is highly unlikely that after they will concentrate on integrating their line of smartphones (which as everyone knows run Android). that they would integrate webOS as well.
That would be a huge mess of interface programming and so on.

I think it is more and more plausible that webOS will be an isolated matter for TVs only. I don't hold my breath for the smartwatch.

Or does anyone remember the LG GW990 it was a long time rumored Moblin (Intel Linux) smartphone presented (I think) in 09 or 2010 and which eventually never made it into the public.

Oh well ...

So all fingers crossed for LuneOS
GoJoe2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0