webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > Copy-cating all over again (Samsung Tizen)
Copy-cating all over again (Samsung Tizen)
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GoJoe2
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre

Old 01/03/2015, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Is it just me, or do I see history repeating itself?

Samsung plans to release their Smart-TVs with Tizen. The UI looks nearly identical zu LGs webOS.

CES: Samsung setzt Tizen in neuen Smart-TVs ein | heise online (sorry for the German link)

So will it be webOS histor all over again. A new innovative plattform revolutions the way we see an appliance and the market leaders copy everything and let the pioneer struggle to get a grasp at market share.

(I know LG is / seems to be in much better condition then palm back then. But same was true of HP at the time being.)
GoJoe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MAMISHO likes this.
Old 01/03/2015, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Between Samsung and LG, the "copy-catting" is mutual, and there seems to be hardly any patent or trademark enforcement between the two of Korea's largest electronics manufacturers. It can be described best as a brother-sister relationship, where competition happens, but it's not a life-or-death struggle, it's more about keeping up with each other in competition against non-Korean manufacturers.

You can see that with the phones, and i'm not surprised to see that go the other way, with TVs.

LG will always be the weaker and slightly less respected of the two giants, and at times, it's almost as if they decided that they know their place. Even "ground-breaking innovation" first has to struggle against that mentality, which you may have seen if you've read the story of how webOS TV in its current form made its way into production. The Korean team's crappy UI, full of menus and widgets was set to win, but the SVL team had a more elegant interface and better coding standards. However, the SVL version of webOS only won because it performed with less lag, and the deadline for showing the product at '14 CES came up, so that's the version that was deemed usable on available hardware. This is also the reason webOS TV 2.0 isn't making it to current sets.

Last edited by Remy X; 01/03/2015 at 06:01 PM.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2015, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJoe2 View Post
Is it just me, or do I see history repeating itself?

Samsung plans to release their Smart-TVs with Tizen. The UI looks nearly identical zu LGs webOS.

CES: Samsung setzt Tizen in neuen Smart-TVs ein | heise online (sorry for the German link)

So will it be webOS histor all over again. A new innovative plattform revolutions the way we see an appliance and the market leaders copy everything and let the pioneer struggle to get a grasp at market share.

(I know LG is / seems to be in much better condition then palm back then. But same was true of HP at the time being.)
Great illustrator of how the webOS designers which LG had and lost, had some innovation when they insisted on SLANTED UI that LG used, and will now be recognized by; vs. this generic row of icons.

It's the same vision that allows us to SWIPE UP TO CLOSE, etc. What a shame all that assembled design talent was let to disperse.

Some people get it, and some don't. Intelligent design is not guess work.
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 05/13/2015, 02:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

And again:

Samsung’s Gear SDK reveals Orbis design, UI, and specifications - SamMobile

The new Tizen Smartwatch will be round and will have look quite the like of the up-comming webOS smartwatches.

Lets see how well the Z1 and Z2 will do for Tizen

Maybe when the inspiration spiral goes the other way around from Samsung to LG in respect of mobile OS
GoJoe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2015, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJoe2 View Post
And again:

Samsung’s Gear SDK reveals Orbis design, UI, and specifications - SamMobile

The new Tizen Smartwatch will be round and will have look quite the like of the up-comming webOS smartwatches.

Lets see how well the Z1 and Z2 will do for Tizen

Maybe when the inspiration spiral goes the other way around from Samsung to LG in respect of mobile OS
Interesting to see that Samsung is still continuing their work with Tizen, their own internal & closed platform versus the open technologies.

In a Smart TV I can see that making sense as compatibility with other connected devices is less used, but on a Smartwatch which is supposed to be connected to a Smartphone? I question the ability for that to take hold
inspire_tek is offline   Reply With Quote