webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > CES 2015: LG to showcase WebOS2.0 Smart TV. Yours to recieve it.
CES 2015: LG to showcase WebOS2.0 Smart TV. Yours to recieve it.
Like Tree12Likes

Old 12/17/2014, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

The News:

LG have now 5 million webOS TVs users.

LG will showcase the update WebOS 2.0 Smart TV platform at CES 2015

LG actual webOS Smart TV owners will get the upgrade. That is what I understand from the Press Release below:

PRESS RELEASE:

LG TO SHOWCASE MORE INTUITIVE WEBOS 2.0 SMART TV PLATFORM AT CES 2015

With Over 5 Million webOS TVs in Family Living Rooms,
webOS 2.0 Offers Even More Simplicity and Expanded 4K Content

EOUL, Dec. 18, 2014 ― At the 2015 International CES from Jan. 6-9 in Las Vegas, LG Electronics (LG) will be unveiling an impressive TV lineup featuring the company’s newest webOS 2.0 Smart TV platform. LG’s webOS 2.0 is specifically designed to enhance the key features found in the current generation of Smart TVs, resulting in an outstanding user experience unmatched by any competing system. What’s more, LG is working with content providers such as Amazon and Netflix to ensure that LG TV owners are guaranteed a wide range of viewing options in brilliant 4K resolution.

Initially designed to “Make TV Simple Again”, webOS TV was originally developed to address the growing frustration with overly complex smart TVs. With a focus on three overarching features ― Simple Connection, Simple Switching and Simple Discovery ― webOS made navigating today’s state-of-the-art TV systems easier than ever. Consumers embraced LG’s efforts with webOS Smart TVs topping 1 million mark in unit sales in the first two months after its introduction earlier this year and recording more than 5 million unit sales within eight months.

LG’s webOS 2.0 takes simplicity and convenience to a whole new level even while managing more content options than ever before. webOS 2.0 offers a long list of improvements and impressive features. Boot time has been reduced by up to 60 percent and accessing content has been made significantly smoother and faster. When switching from the Smart TV Home Screen to YouTube, for example, users will see an improvement in loading time of up to 70 percent.

Also new to webOS 2.0 is My Channels, which allows users to customize their favorite live TV channels or set-top box channels on the Launcher Bar for greater convenience. Quick Settings lets viewers adjust their TV without interrupting the program they’re watching and Input Picker allows connected devices to be recognized instantly for immediate use.

Through partnerships with major content providers, webOS TV owners can access a huge selection of Ultra HD content via services such as Amazon and Netflix. LG webOS-enabled Smart TVs have access to 4K resolution content on Netflix, including highly-rated programs such as House of Cards and Marco Polo in 2015. Ultra HD content on Amazon includes movies such as After Earth, Elysium, The Amazing Spider Man 2 and The Da Vinci Code.

“With the newest features introduced in webOS 2.0, the overall user experience has become even simpler, easier and more intuitive,” said In-kyu Lee, senior vice president and head of the TV and monitor division at the LG Electronics Home Entertainment Company. “The webOS platform is a great example of our commitment to taking a leadership role in the next generation TV market with a truly innovative Smart TV solution.”

Visitors to LG’s CES booth at the Las Vegas Convention Center (Central Hall #8204) will be able to experience the full range of new webOS 2.0 TV products.

LG Newsroom

This pic below thanks to eblade:

Last edited by akitayo; 12/18/2014 at 08:06 PM.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Pilotovef likes this.
Thanked By: Pilotovef
Old 12/17/2014, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I don't see anything that reads like a promise to upgrade current devices... what are you seeing?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2014, 11:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hopefully in a few years my next 4K TV will be an LG webOS one. Glad someone at least (commercially) is actively developing webOS even if it's not for phones like I would prefer.
Old 12/18/2014, 12:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Here's one in an Asian (Google picked it up as Chinese, but failed to translate any of it) language, with a really nice screenshot LG WebOS TV 2.0CESչ-Ѻ

[[Moderator Note: Please be sure you are running some sort of blocking software as this site does have links to Malicious sites]]
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/18/2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12/18/2014, 07:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

I figured something like this was going on - for the last several months the current version was only being tweaked, so the team had to have been focusing on something else.
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2014, 08:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

I totally agree with eblade on that I didn't see any clue/hint that this software was coming for older devices. I'm sure as hell hoping that they will keep older devices up to date with software improvements like 2.0. I'm going to get another TV here in the future, but my chances of getting another LG would sadly drop if I saw them not supporting customers who gave them $$.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by petbull likes this.
Old 12/18/2014, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Zzzzzz. I already have webOS 2.0 on my phone!
Old 12/18/2014, 09:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Here's one in an Asian (Google picked it up as Chinese, but failed to translate any of it) language, with a really nice screenshot LG WebOS TV 2.0CESչ-Ѻ

[[Moderator Note: Please be sure you are running some sort of blocking software as this site does have links to Malicious sites]]
Translation:

- It will currently only appear on "Smart+" devices
- Mentions there is a new version of the Magic Remote, it will have buttons to access certain channels directly.

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2014, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
Hopefully in a few years my next 4K TV will be an LG webOS one. Glad someone at least (commercially) is actively developing webOS even if it's not for phones like I would prefer.
They're about to show off 55" 8K tv with quantum pixels, so you might get 8K tv by then;-)
60RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2014, 07:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
I don't see anything that reads like a promise to upgrade current devices... what are you seeing?
LG’s webOS 2.0 is specifically designed to enhance the key features found in the current generation of Smart TVs, resulting in an outstanding user experience unmatched by any competing system.

"By updating webOS with new and smarter features, users will experience a next-generation Smart TV platform that's simpler, easier and more intuitive than ever before," said In-kyu Lee, senior vice president and head of the TV and monitor division at the LG Electronics Home Entertainment Company. "The webOS 2.0 platform is another example of LG's commitment to taking a leadership role in the next generation TV market with an innovative Smart TV solution."

Last edited by akitayo; 12/18/2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12/18/2014, 08:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
News Contributor

The Press Release is also on the LG developer site and the content is similar:

https://developer.lge.com/webOSTV/community/news/
Old 12/18/2014, 08:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
Translation:

- It will currently only appear on "Smart+" devices
- Mentions there is a new version of the Magic Remote, it will have buttons to access certain channels directly.
Apparently Yes there is a new version of the Magic Remote as we can see the korean girl holding it on the picture above. However Will LG sell the new Magic Remote model to before WebOS TV owners in order to get the new features working with ?
Old 12/18/2014, 09:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
News Contributor

The Press Release is a little different here on this part:

"By updating webOS with new and smarter features, users will experience a next-generation Smart TV platform that's simpler, easier and more intuitive than ever before," said In-kyu Lee, senior vice president and head of the TV and monitor division at the LG Electronics Home Entertainment Company. "The webOS 2.0 platform is another example of LG's commitment to taking a leadership role in the next generation TV market with an innovative Smart TV solution."

compared with:

“With the newest features introduced in webOS 2.0, the overall user experience has become even simpler, easier and more intuitive,” said In-kyu Lee, senior vice president and head of the TV and monitor division at the LG Electronics Home Entertainment Company. “The webOS platform is a great example of our commitment to taking a leadership role in the next generation TV market with a truly innovative Smart TV solution.”

LG To Unveil More Intuitive webOS 2.0 Smart TV Platform At... -- ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J., Dec. 17, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 12/18/2014, 09:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
Apparently Yes there is a new version of the Magic Remote as we can see the korean girl holding it on the picture above. However Will LG sell the new Magic Remote model to before WebOS TV owners in order to get the new features working with ?
Yes. There's a low-end model in the current range that comes with a cheaper IR remote, and the Magic Remote is sold separately as a replacement. Likewise, you'd be able to buy a replacement 2.0 remote once it comes out.
Old 12/19/2014, 05:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

Hi,

A Danish twitter site was in contact with LG Denmark yesterday and they confirmed that WebOS 2.0 does not and will not work on 2014 models.

Jeppe
paqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 12/19/2014, 07:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

So it appears that:
a) LG webOS 2.0 will only work on Smart+ devices.
b) LG webOS 2.0 won't work on 2014 models.

So it might be that:
a) LG webOS 2.0 won't work on 2014 models that aren't Smart+, but will on those that are.
b) LG webOS 2.0 will only work on 2015 models that are Smart+

I think LG had Smart+ TVs before webOS, but I'm not clear what it is. Just a logo? Or an actual standard of functionality?

It would make sense to provide continuing updates to TVs including updating to LG webOS 2.0. What is interesting is that in a parallel to Legacy webOS 2.0, where it was possible, but "too difficult" to put the new version on the old devices, this suggests that it's more effort than LG wants to make or actually not possible because this is not so much a software improvement as a hardware one...

Have they genuinely improved the boot time or just put faster chips in the 2015 models?
Old 12/19/2014, 08:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
So it appears that:
a) LG webOS 2.0 will only work on Smart+ devices.
b) LG webOS 2.0 won't work on 2014 models.

So it might be that:
a) LG webOS 2.0 won't work on 2014 models that aren't Smart+, but will on those that are.
b) LG webOS 2.0 will only work on 2015 models that are Smart+

I think LG had Smart+ TVs before webOS, but I'm not clear what it is. Just a logo? Or an actual standard of functionality?

It would make sense to provide continuing updates to TVs including updating to LG webOS 2.0. What is interesting is that in a parallel to Legacy webOS 2.0, where it was possible, but "too difficult" to put the new version on the old devices, this suggests that it's more effort than LG wants to make or actually not possible because this is not so much a software improvement as a hardware one...

Have they genuinely improved the boot time or just put faster chips in the 2015 models?
Yep Smart + TV is just a logo.

The improved boot time might be both software and hardware better.
Old 12/19/2014, 01:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

zzzzzzzzz......................

I see 2015/16 big years for webos. I think LG wants to be able to say that they have millions of users before hitting the phone/tablet/watch/streaming BOX compitition. After one year of TV sales they have 5 million, I can only assume that this number will more than double by 2016CES since they will be putting it on more TV models. I can tell you a very very small amount of people go into a store and buy a TV for webOS. Most people look at size, price, Quality and then maybe software. So with out LG even really doing any hard and costly advertising they get users that just want a TV by default, which is a great strategy.

I'll make this short. This is my list of product launches I think LG will do

CES 2015 = 90% of New LGTV will have webOS. 5 million users
May 2015 = First Blueray Player with webOS.
July 2015 = LG webOS watch just to get their foot in the door
Nov 2015 = Launch of the LG webOS STREAMING STICK and BOX. just in time for Christmas
CES2016 = All new TVs and Blue Ray Players in 2016 will have webOS 15-20 million devices sold world wide
June 6th 2016. Launch of 5 devices at once. Huge event. 2 LG webOS Phones and 2 tablets 7 and 10 inch and a watch. webOS will have sold over 40 million devices by year end 2016
June 7th 2016. LG hires Leo and WW3 starts.

Alart goes off and i wake up

Last edited by Greg Mair; 12/19/2014 at 04:06 PM.
Greg Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Old 12/19/2014, 01:41 PM   #19 (permalink)

You were doing okay until you got to that last item... Talk about a nightmare!

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 12/19/2014, 03:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The interesting part to me is the 5 million sold mark. Even if we just assumed say that only half of those can be counted as users, say discounting half from people buying multiple sets, or devices that were shipped to stores but aren't in consumer hands .. that is like 100-200% more users than Palm/HP ever had with webOS. (judging by that we know of there being a hair over 1 million webOS accounts)

That's really pretty impressive. And much of the webOS marketing itself hadn't really started popping out until the TVs were already out there for a few months. And even so, has anyone seen a webOS ad on TV? The only ones I've seen were things people shared to me from YouTube.

There's also still a ----------lot-------------- of the older LG Smart TVs out in the pipes still, with retailers putting huge specials on them. Going to be some time before the pipes are clear of all that stuff, still.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!