webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > CES 2015: LG to showcase WebOS2.0 Smart TV. Yours to recieve it.
CES 2015: LG to showcase WebOS2.0 Smart TV. Yours to recieve it.
Like Tree12Likes

Old 12/19/2014, 04:28 PM   #21 (permalink)

I think a company would have to sell about 100 times more TVs then phones when it comes to buying Apps and getting Devs interested in making apps and content. So 5 million is only about 50,000 phones worth,

Would love to know how many Apps are in the LG TV Store or whatever its called
Greg Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2014, 07:45 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
I think a company would have to sell about 100 times more TVs then phones when it comes to buying Apps and getting Devs interested in making apps and content. So 5 million is only about 50,000 phones worth,

Would love to know how many Apps are in the LG TV Store or whatever its called
I don't see a hard and fast number, if you feel like counting let us know.

::: LG Smart World :::

Edit: I counted... 446

Last edited by i2y4n; 12/19/2014 at 10:34 PM.
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Greg Mair likes this.
Old 12/20/2014, 04:14 AM   #23 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
I don't see a hard and fast number, if you feel like counting let us know.

::: LG Smart World :::

Edit: I counted... 446
How is that number compared to other TV Appstores like Samsung or Sony?
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2014, 07:07 AM   #24 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

As an aside, how difficult is it to rewrite an Enyo app for a TV & the reverse? I realise the UI elements of Onyx & Moonstone are different. I'm just thinking that there might be quite a few apps that could be ported both ways for a bit of mutual boosting.

I think the cool kids call it levering the eco-system.
Old 12/20/2014, 12:40 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
The interesting part to me is the 5 million sold mark. Even if we just assumed say that only half of those can be counted as users, say discounting half from people buying multiple sets, or devices that were shipped to stores but aren't in consumer hands .. that is like 100-200% more users than Palm/HP ever had with webOS. (judging by that we know of there being a hair over 1 million webOS accounts)

That's really pretty impressive. And much of the webOS marketing itself hadn't really started popping out until the TVs were already out there for a few months. And even so, has anyone seen a webOS ad on TV? The only ones I've seen were things people shared to me from YouTube.

There's also still a ----------lot-------------- of the older LG Smart TVs out in the pipes still, with retailers putting huge specials on them. Going to be some time before the pipes are clear of all that stuff, still.
I somewhat doubt have of those are users. You forgot one group: those who bought TVs with the smart TV feature but never use it, using it as a large monitor only.

I know I don't. I've almost never turned on the smart TV feature on my TV, I just have XBMC hooked up to it with a PC.

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote