webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > Pair a Harmony Remote with LG TV
Pair a Harmony Remote with LG TV

Old 12/03/2014, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

I have a smart LG TV with a magic remote. I also have a Harmony 650 remote that I really like. I was able to teach the harmony all the magic remote functions. However, when I need to click the OK button (equal to the wheel click on the magic remote), the LG TV tries to pair with the Harmony remote and fails. This is preventing me from completely switching to the harmony remote with my LG TV.

Is there a way to change the LG WEB OS to not automatically pair to the Harmony remote when I click OK?

Is there a way to program the Harmony 650 remote to have a pairing key that LG Smart TV will accept?

is there any way I can mimic the "Start Netflix" command too the Harmony Remote?

I have tried the Harmony and LG support teams, but no success yet.

Any ideas?

My goal is to use the Harmony Remote for doing everything the magic remote does (except for the voice recognition commands).
Andy804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2014, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi Andy,

Can you make the "OK" button on the Harmony map to the "Enter" button on the regular LG Infrared remote? My Harmony is a super cheap model, so I'm not too familiar with the functionality, and I only have it programmed for this ancient Panasonic that I've got here.. Other than the "Enter" button all the button codes on the Magic remote should be identical to the ones on the regular IR remote.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2014, 12:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'm not sure about the 650 but the 885 I had and the 1000 I have now can learn IR commands from the original remote. The Harmony software is a bit of a pain to get setup but once it's working it's great. I have 7 or so devices controlled with it :-) Panasonic TV was a bit tricky because it needed a longer power on/off compared to what is normal, but all could be set in the Harmony software. The UI is not always very logical but it's very powerful! For the Start Netflix you might need to add an "Activity" since it might need multiple commands to be send at once.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
Old 12/05/2014, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
I'm not sure about the 650 but the 885 I had and the 1000 I have now can learn IR commands from the original remote. The Harmony software is a bit of a pain to get setup but once it's working it's great. I have 7 or so devices controlled with it :-) Panasonic TV was a bit tricky because it needed a longer power on/off compared to what is normal, but all could be set in the Harmony software. The UI is not always very logical but it's very powerful! For the Start Netflix you might need to add an "Activity" since it might need multiple commands to be send at once.

Yeah, I think the Magic Remote uses bluetooth. I am able to get the IR aspect when the click occurs, but the bluetooth must send a signal to the TV that my Harmony 650 can't. I guess I need to investigate the Harmony Smart Hub or something that can send bluetooth.
Old 12/06/2014, 03:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Magic Remote pointer uses bluetooth, and the OK button sends a different signal than the one on the IR remotes. It should be possible, somehow or other, to get the Harmony to send the same signal as the LG IR remote and not the Magic Remote. I'm just not real sure how, considering that my Harmony software only gives me a selection of devices, and zero customization of it.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 12/06/2014, 04:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Magic Remote pointer uses bluetooth, and the OK button sends a different signal than the one on the IR remotes. It should be possible, somehow or other, to get the Harmony to send the same signal as the LG IR remote and not the Magic Remote. I'm just not real sure how, considering that my Harmony software only gives me a selection of devices, and zero customization of it.
The 2 Harmony remotes I had really had all my devices in the software, even 15 year old laserdisc and other exotic equipment. Learning IR is done by the Harmony software so I would be suprised if that's not available on some Harmony remotes. BT is a no go with a standard Harmony but Logitech might have a solution for that, never looked into it tbh.

Old 12/06/2014, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
The 2 Harmony remotes I had really had all my devices in the software, even 15 year old laserdisc and other exotic equipment. Learning IR is done by the Harmony software so I would be suprised if that's not available on some Harmony remotes. BT is a no go with a standard Harmony but Logitech might have a solution for that, never looked into it tbh.

Thanks for both of your reply's. I really got nowhere with the LG Support team. I may email support to see if that gets a higher level of support knowledge than the CHAT. It was a bit frustrating. The Harmony responses have not been too great either, but learning that the LG Magic Remote uses bluetooth + IR opened my eyes to potentially the problem being the Harmony remote I have is not bluetooth compatible. I just want to make sure if I buy a different Harmony remote, that it will work.
Old 12/06/2014, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

But you don't -need- Bluetooth to work. There are IR remotes for the LG TVs. To get the Harmony to work, you should just need to program it as if it were a IR remote for the TV instead of programming it from the Magic Remote. The only part of the Magic Remote that is Bluetooth is the pointer control. The OK button on it sends a different code than the IR remote's "OK" button, though, so that the TV knows it's a magic remote, and thinks it should pair it.
I just don't know if you can selectively program a button on that remote to a specific TV model remote (try like a 2013 LG TV, if you have a selection of devices), or if your only option is finding a LG TV remote and programming it that way.

My 2012 19" LG TV infrared remote works fine with my 2014 LG webOS TV :-)
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 12/09/2014, 05:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
But you don't -need- Bluetooth to work. There are IR remotes for the LG TVs. To get the Harmony to work, you should just need to program it as if it were a IR remote for the TV instead of programming it from the Magic Remote. The only part of the Magic Remote that is Bluetooth is the pointer control. The OK button on it sends a different code than the IR remote's "OK" button, though, so that the TV knows it's a magic remote, and thinks it should pair it.
I just don't know if you can selectively program a button on that remote to a specific TV model remote (try like a 2013 LG TV, if you have a selection of devices), or if your only option is finding a LG TV remote and programming it that way.

My 2012 19" LG TV infrared remote works fine with my 2014 LG webOS TV :-)
Hi,

I have used the Logitech support team a lot with my Harmony remote. I initiated a case and told them the problem.. they then solved it which was great!.

Jeppe
paqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2015, 05:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hello Andy,

Just my 50 cents: you can control your LG Smart TV with both magic remote and ordinary IR remote. In case you use IR remote - then command "OK" is sent in ordinary IR code (not in bluetooth code like magic remote does).

Then, to make Harmony emulate "OK" button press all you need to do is borrow ordinary old LG IR remote somewhere, make your Harmony remote listen and record IR, then press OK on the old LG IR remote Voila!

Olegs
plodozhor is offline   Reply With Quote