webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > webOS TV deals for Black Friday?
webOS TV deals for Black Friday?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By gizmo21
  • 1 Post By akitayo
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By petbull

Old 11/27/2014, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Does anyone know of any stores (online or brick & mortar) that are having any deals on webOS TVs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hrminer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2014, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hmm... i wonder. However, there's a newer version of webOS TV coming out next year that the current hardware won't be compatible with, so maybe keep that in mind..
Old 11/27/2014, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Hmm... i wonder. However, there's a newer version of webOS TV coming out next year that the current hardware won't be compatible with, so maybe keep that in mind..
I thought that was just a rumour. Anyone have anything definitive?
Old 11/27/2014, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
I thought that was just a rumour. Anyone have anything definitive?
Several people have confirmed the rumor, even if it won't be 100% true in the end. It's a decision that's still being made at a design/engineering stage. Nothing is set in stone, but the general direction seems to be pointing towards this outcome.

One of the facts that suggest that it's happening, is the fact that current low-end LG webOS TV's are a slight bit laggy, and LG will be beefing up the hardware the next time around. But the software guys tend to always use up all available hardware power when they add new features, so by the end of 2015, or even by summer, something will come out that's not backwards-compatible to today's low-end sets.

It may be rumor/conjecture at this point, but the tendency of software towards new bloat with each new version as hardware specs improve, has been well documented. It's been happening since before i was born.. (and i'm 24)
Old 11/28/2014, 12:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Well when i was young, hardware didn't have those fast obsolescence cycles and software developers brought in new functions, faster software... without the need of new hardware.
But those days are sadly long gone, can't imagine what best of both worlds would give us today.

oops sorry "black friday" was the topic
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 11/28/2014, 05:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Several people have confirmed the rumor, even if it won't be 100% true in the end. It's a decision that's still being made at a design/engineering stage. Nothing is set in stone, but the general direction seems to be pointing towards this outcome.

One of the facts that suggest that it's happening, is the fact that current low-end LG webOS TV's are a slight bit laggy, and LG will be beefing up the hardware the next time around. But the software guys tend to always use up all available hardware power when they add new features, so by the end of 2015, or even by summer, something will come out that's not backwards-compatible to today's low-end sets.

It may be rumor/conjecture at this point, but the tendency of software towards new bloat with each new version as hardware specs improve, has been well documented. It's been happening since before i was born.. (and i'm 24)
*giggle* 24.. lol. :-D

On the bright side, it is possible to do things better than last time, add more features, and add more hardware, all simultaneously. (see win 7->win 8->win 8.1 ...)
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2014, 09:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
News Contributor

The price of the 42 inch was $849.99 now it is $448.91 as well as all the upper sizes prices are low. Suggest to check them out here:

Amazon.com: LG Electronics 42LB6300 42-Inch 1080p 120Hz Smart LED TV: Electronics
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2014, 10:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

If the system continues to upgrade and leave older tv's ( less than a year?) behind, it will hurt app development. Why develop an app if it will be obsolete in 9 months?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2014, 10:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petbull View Post
If the system continues to upgrade and leave older tv's ( less than a year?) behind, it will hurt app development. Why develop an app if it will be obsolete in 9 months?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Unfortunately, that has been a problem for webOS since 3.0 and to a lesser extent 2.0 which didn't run well on the original Pre (but that mostly hurt Sprint users).

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2014, 11:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
*giggle* 24.. lol. :-D

On the bright side, it is possible to do things better than last time, add more features, and add more hardware, all simultaneously. (see win 7->win 8->win 8.1 ...)
LOL

We were all young(-er) once
But the combination of a completely wrecked sleep schedule and chronic eyestrain did make me feel a dozen+ years older, until i couldn't take it anymore and started doing whatever possible to resolve those things. Like dropping everything and going to sleep if i'm sleepy, and taking lots of magnesium to correct the electrolyte imbalance that makes eyestrain worse. So we are only as young as we take care of ourselves to be...

Now if i could only recapture the health / work endurance i had at 17
Old 12/01/2014, 01:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
The price of the 42 inch was $849.99 now it is $448.91 as well as all the upper sizes prices are low. Suggest to check them out here:

Amazon.com: LG Electronics 42LB6300 42-Inch 1080p 120Hz Smart LED TV: Electronics

It doesn't seem like BestBuy or any other retailer in my area have many LG "smart TVs" available and if they do, it is the old non-webOS ones. So it looks like I would need to go online to get one.

One of the disappointments that I have with the existing webOS TVs is that they only have 3 HDMI ports and no vga. I guess I'll wait for next year's models to see if they correct that or not. I suppose these rumors don't say when these new & improved, but incompatible sets are supposed to be on sale either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hrminer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2014, 01:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

There are only very few TV's out there anymore with a VGA port. I know Sharp's new models still have it, for the rest they're not common at all anymore. Most laptops and pc's nowadays have a digital out anyway too ((mini-)dvi or (mini-)hdmi).

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
Old 12/01/2014, 07:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

Well, I went old school for Black Friday and bought a stupid TV. With all the rumors about this years model not working with next years software, I opted for a 60" plasma at a great price @ Microcenter. Besides, if I wanted a smart TV, it would have had LG's old smart system, not Webos. I don't really need a smart TV in this location and if i do, I figure I will pick up one of their blueray players next year, if they put WebOS on those.

But think about this, if LG does make next year's smart TV another WebOS version (not compatible with the 2014 version) there will be 3 versions in 3 years and probably all available at the same time. That will be a marketing nightmare.
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by gizmo21 likes this.