1.    #1  
    HI all,

I have a question:
    I just got my new tv LG 55UB820V (with Lg firmware) It has the same hw/specs as 55UB830V which has webOS on it.Can i somehow update the firware to webOS ? via usb or something?

Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by mihai.balaci View Post
    HI all,

I have a question:
    I just got my new tv LG 55UB820V (with Lg firmware) It has the same hw/specs as 55UB830V which has webOS on it.Can i somehow update the firware to webOS ? via usb or something?

Thank you
    I surmise that LG TVs have a locked bootloader, so the answer is most likely no.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    I surmise that LG TVs have a locked bootloader, so the answer is most likely no.
    Not the answer I expected but still maybe there is a way to make it work.
    Quote Originally Posted by mihai.balaci View Post
    Not the answer I expected but still maybe there is a way to make it work.
    I may still be wrong, but usually manufacturers try to guard against these sort of upgrades...

However...

Replacing the mainboard with one that does run webOS and selling your original one may be an option, though it will void your warranty.

And while "locked bootloader" may be an issue for flashing over USB, it may be possible to flash a chip over JTAG if you will have direct access to it, but again, opening up a TV will void its warranty

But it may be possible to try reflashing the TV over USB if someone has the correct tools, if the firmware is cryptographically signed. If all goes well, great, if not, the TV may have to be reflashed to original firmware over JTAG... and i honestly don't know if LG makes any of its firmware available in standalone packages

Another thing to think about is waiting for the newer (better?) version of webOS TV that will come out in 2015, and buying a TV that runs that
    Last edited by Remy X; 11/23/2014 at 11:08 PM.
  5.    #5  
    thx for the reply