webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > New webOS version in 2015 will not be compatible with current LG TVs
New webOS version in 2015 will not be compatible with current LG TVs
Like Tree16Likes

Old 11/12/2014, 09:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

According to unconfirmed rumors the new version of webOS, which will be released in 2015, is not designed for the current lineup of LG TVs in 2014.
If someone has contacts in LG SVL please ask them is this true?
Pilotovef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2014, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Got sources?
Old 11/12/2014, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

That's doubtful. Maybe if they include different hardware to new TVs like a built-in toaster or a huge touchstone 3 so you can take your 50" TV on the go since LG seems to want to make everything but a phone.
Greg Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2014, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry guys, but its probably true. Any time I buy something, things go bad. I just got a webOS tv about a month ago, so thats why they would do this...to screw me over lol. (At least that how it feels).
ryancell is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, Grabber5.0, Pilotovef and 2 others like this.
Old 11/12/2014, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
Got sources?
Yes my Asian sources.
Pilotovef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2014, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have a hole that a drilled in the wall of LGSVL. I have a microphone placed there and although the audio is somewhat muddy, it appears that right now this is most likely true. There appears to be forces trying to get them to change that idea. Lg tends to provide updates for a year. We can only keep our fingers crossed about what may happen with the newer versions when they arrive.
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2014, 05:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

sigh... I just bought mine a week ago.
red_sun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2014, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

I know your pain. I bought a gen 1 Sony Google TV and they only updated it to Honeycomb before dropping support of the Intel based TV's and I bought an LG just weeks before I learned WebOS would be on the next version of their sets. Hosed twice. At least they both have decent picture quality.
joeytino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2014, 02:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotovef View Post
According to unconfirmed rumors the new version of webOS, which will be released in 2015, is not designed for the current lineup of LG TVs in 2014.
If someone has contacts in LG SVL please ask them is this true?
That would sadly fit in the whole webOS product scheme from Palm over HP to LG.
That's why i bought a Samsung TV now, it works now out of the box as it should and even if i won't get updates next year i have a fully working machine with all the features.

Don't get me wrong i am a bad a s s webOS fan as you know, but i can't stand the long-term product policy of all companies involved with webOS. And here we would not talk about 4 or 5 years, but only 1 (ONE) year of support (IF THE SOURCES ARE RIGHT).

PS: Perhaps it's time to mess with the TV-sources and get an DEV-mode enabled to port new changes to the "old" TVs (if some of you really could sell this to your partners: 'Hey sweety just have to doctor and homebrew our TV, will take only 4 hours to get all all up and stable again, hopefully ')

Sorry i'm a bit negative right now.

Btw: I hate the way that my Samsung TV closes all webbrowser tabs or apps when i switch back to TV, but that was the bitter pill to swollow.

Last edited by gizmo21; 11/13/2014 at 02:28 AM.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2014, 02:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
That would sadly fit in the whole webOS product scheme from Palm over HP to LG.
That's why i bought a Samsung TV now, it works now out of the box as it should and even if i won't get updates next year i have a fully working machine with all the features.

Don't get me wrong i am a bad a s s webOS fan as you know, but i can't stand the long-term product policy of all companies involved with webOS. And here we would not talk about 4 or 5 years, but only 1 (ONE) year of support (IF THE SOURCES ARE RIGHT).

PS: Perhaps it's time to mess with the TV-sources and get an DEV-mode enabled to port new changes to the "old" TVs (if some of you really could sell this to your partners: 'Hey sweety just have to doctor and homebrew our TV, will take only 4 hours to get all all up and stable again, hopefully ')

Sorry i'm a bit negative right now.
I feel like you're saying that you feel there's a significant advantage in Samsung giving you an approximately 1 year software update support mechanism versus anyone else's approximately 1 year software update support mechanism.

(and I suspect that it's pretty rare for a tv manufacturer to go out and do a major software update 6 months out, that adds significant new features... like some of the people who have webOS TVs from the first 6 months can tell you did happen..)
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Saijin_Naib likes this.
Old 11/13/2014, 04:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have a Samsung UE55ES8080 from 2012. Never got a Firmware upgrade EVER. Still, they gave me the option to buy an Extension (basically a new CPU) which can be stuck sowhere into the back of the TV.
So no backup OTA, but trying to earn more bucks from me for some HW-Upgrade ...

Thanks, but no thanks Samsung.

Don't moan. Most of the TV companies don't update their device.
Old 11/13/2014, 06:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

I'm not going to let this get me upset. After all, I have training with this kind of thing. I'm a Browns fan. I'm an Indians fan. Let downs are expected.

Part of the problem, if this is true, is that we have placed so much of our WebOS hopes and dreams into LG. They didn't ask for it, we just have few places to put it. We were used to getting a lot of info from Palm and even HP. LG seems very quiet. Different culture.

And let's face facts, the TV's are nice, great even, but I (we) really want phones and I don't think they intend to make WebOS phones. Like Greg infers above, I think you got a better chance of talking on your toaster than on a LG made webos phone.

After considerable thought (which means a cup of coffee), I find it hard to believe LG would introduce a 3rd generation of TV software in as many years. You can still buy their old brand of smart TV in addition to the WebOS TV, which is confusing as hell to most people. Now there could be a third? Seems illogical to me, but there is a long list of things right there, let me tell you!
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0 and Remy X like this.
Old 11/13/2014, 09:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

I doubt this means a completely different version of webOS. I suspect it means they are making changes under the hood or otherwise that will not be compatible with current tv hardware.

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2014, 09:31 AM   #14 (permalink)

This is bound to happen with ANY smart TV...best bet is to get a breakout box instead - there are plenty of good ones available for cheap. Now if only they ran webOS.....or LuneOS...

The fact that webOS was even around as long as it was, and still working on older devices is a testament to the engineering team..but the reality is, as a software platform, it makes sense to have longevity - for "disposable" hardware (LG), obsolescence is really just a side effect of the accelerated product lifecycle....
PrplHaz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2014, 10:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

Not sure about support, but bought a Visio Smart TV (32 LED LCD HDTV, model XVT323SV), have had it for more then three years or so (think I got it in 2011), I have gotten firmware updated over the past three years, with the latest being about 6 months or so ago? I am guessing as they send their firmware updates when the TV is off, and I really do not watch the version change often, but I do record from time to time the version numbers and I can tell things have changed... I also have Sony Blu-Ray Player(s) with Internet (1 BDP-S570, 2 BDP-BX58) got first version in 2010 the next version at the same time as the TV in 2011 and they got a firmware updated on (10/22/2013 for 2010 model, 2/17/2014 for 2011 model, they both just got updated on 1/2/2015 to fix ssl issues) as well... Now they have been updated thru their lifecycle... Not sure how long the lifecycle of a device should last, but one year of upgrades to get the product stable, and as long as they still work, no need for a update...

Although I am also still using a Palm Pre Plus so maybe I accept the fact the companies abandon their users and devices and do not care, as there is no money for what is already sold, what already works...

Last edited by John Steffes; 01/02/2015 at 09:00 PM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2014, 10:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Obviously, this is all speculation at the moment. Built in obsolescence is a terrible way to run a planet. It once was the case that a TV could last 10 or even 15 years - the signal was the same. In recent years, we've had HD, 3D & now 4K. With a set top box, it is still possible to watch (down-res'd) 2D pictures on an old TV and this confirms my view that the ideal TV comes in two boxes: The display of size & capability you want / can afford & the STB providing signal reception, processing and OS. These items can then be updated, upgraded or swapped out as necessary.

It may be that there will be a new webOS to take advantage of new hardware tech or whatever. That doesn't rule out the possibility of updates to the existing system. The danger is that a smart TV may lose much of it's function if the plug is pulled at LG HQ. Such a 'forced upgrade' path could create an opportunity for a new group: Take your open-source LuneOS, add an opensource Enyo Moonstone UI & apps & sell it in an STB. Plug it into your 'anybrand' & maybe unsupported TV, switch to 'external input' & don't look back...
Old 11/13/2014, 11:43 AM   #17 (permalink)

I bought a low end 55" LB6500. It doesn't cost too much ($650). I will not be too upset about it if LG decided not support it any more. Not knowing too much about the new OS, the things concern me most is the app compatibility btw different versions. It would be really nice that they keep the platform stable for a few years, so we can have access to some more apps. But apparently, that's too much to ask for. Well, fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, sadly, it is on me.
red_sun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2014, 05:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I'm not the only one: Bring back the dumb TV | The Verge

There might even be more money in separate boxes
Old 11/13/2014, 06:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

This could be an acceptable move if certain things were to pan out. This was their first time to put WebOS on a television. I imagine that they learned a whole lot in the process of getting it to where it is, and now they can imagine where they want it to go. I am still hoping to find a "smart" TV (or external device) that has an intuitive interface that hasn't been oversimplified. If achieving that requires some fundamental hardware and kernel changes now, then let's get it out of the way and get on with it.

And while they're at it, they can make sure everything is in place to port it back to the phone and tablet hardware they're going to be forced to release as soon as Samsung starts pushing Tizen devices bigger than a watch.
ericj77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2014, 06:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
I'm not the only one: Bring back the dumb TV | The Verge

There might even be more money in separate boxes
I'm glad to see articles like that popping up! I have no interest in a smart TV. Using smart boxes/sticks connected to a TV is cheaper, easier to upgrade, and just overall a better idea.
Choorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0, Pilotovef and Saijin_Naib like this.