webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > New webOS version in 2015 will not be compatible with current LG TVs
New webOS version in 2015 will not be compatible with current LG TVs
Like Tree16Likes

Old 11/14/2014, 10:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_sun99 View Post
I bought a low end 55" LB6500. It doesn't cost too much ($650). I will not be too upset about it if LG decided not support it any more. Not knowing too much about the new OS, the things concern me most is the app compatibility btw different versions. It would be really nice that they keep the platform stable for a few years, so we can have access to some more apps. But apparently, that's too much to ask for. Well, fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, sadly, it is on me.
Wait, which OS hasn't had major upgrades done to it on an almost yearly basis recently? And which ones broke compatibility wholesale, with older applications?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2014, 09:17 PM   #22 (permalink)

The way I look at it, LG has a team of well paid software developers coming in to work every single day and working on something, yet the upgrades we've been provided seem to only be tinkering around the edges.

To me, this suggests most resources are being invested in developing LG webOS 2.0 rather than what we're running on our TV's. And it seems there's a high probability of current customers being left behind - the lagginess of my 42LB6300 suggests that unless they are making iOS style mega optimization of resource management a high priority, at least my model is going to be left out in the cold when 2.0 is let out of the test lab.
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2014, 02:08 AM   #23 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Didn't you get the update with Today? or are you in a location that doesn't have Today? (no, i don't know which locations those are right off hand...) the update with Today was quite an improvement over the original release. (and even if you didn't get Today due to geographic restrictions, you probably got it, but it was more under the hood stuff other than Today..)
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 12/29/2014, 10:31 AM   #24 (permalink)

LG really scare me.

Firstly they don't even have this modal on their support page. Firstly WTF!!!!

Secondly. This TV us UHD but without Web OS! WTF WTF.

So. I pass it to you LG. If you want people to use your OS make it available. 2 core is enough to run what looks a simple interface.

P.S Get Plex working too.

I only say all of this to make your company BETTER! now execute it!
adam90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2014, 03:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam90 View Post
LG really scare me.

Firstly they don't even have this modal on their support page. Firstly WTF!!!!

Secondly. This TV us UHD but without Web OS! WTF WTF.

So. I pass it to you LG. If you want people to use your OS make it available. 2 core is enough to run what looks a simple interface.

P.S Get Plex working too.

I only say all of this to make your company BETTER! now execute it!
Which model? There were 4K UHD TVs in the lineup before webOS. I'm guessing you have an older one.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 01/12/2015, 01:13 AM   #26 (permalink)

Is there some dev who can port new Web os to our 2014 models?
majkicimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2015, 12:04 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by majkicimo View Post
Is there some dev who can port new Web os to our 2014 models?
The harder part would be finding the crack Mission Impossible style infiltration team you'd need in order to smuggle a copy of the source code out of LG headquarters.
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Thanked By: majkicimo
Old 03/11/2015, 01:34 AM   #28 (permalink)

Nothing new about upgrade to Web os 2.0?
majkicimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2015, 04:43 AM   #29 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWill22 View Post
I would have been happy if they just fix all the bugs that exist in the current software. I cannot get the screen share working with my phone but it works perfect on the Samsung TV. There are bugs with HDMI Control and the hdmi handshake. I was warned that LG support was bad but didn't listen.
Keep bugging the toll free support number in your Settings menu. I just saw several people on Twitter praising a software update for fixing WiFi issues.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!