webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > Unable to connect to the LG store.
Unable to connect to the LG store.
Like Tree6Likes

Old 10/18/2014, 11:10 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Is there something in the app framework or system that tries to phone home every time you open an app? Seems kind of nuts that no apps will work when the LG store is down.. :|
Remember the scandal when a guy caught an LG TV sending home a list of all his files from a networked drive? Well... i'm not surprised if your suspicions come true
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2014, 12:29 AM   #22 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

This is bad. If it's not nipped in the bud, this could develop into serious reputational damage.

Serious questions are starting to be asked about cloud services - in spite of the convenience they offer. If it seems that devices are constantly surveilling you or that significant functionality stops when the home server is disconnected...

This sounds actually worse than the HP shutdown! There's no LG webOS preware to turn to! ;-)

Increasingly it seems to be that it is assumed we all have the latest, greatest devices able to run bloated crapware, 24/7 highspeed datalinks and that it's OK to quietly gather data - even when the product has been bought.

We have LuneOS, so don't need LG, but they remain the best hope for a commercial implementation of a mobile webOS. The chances of that rely on them not blowing the great start they've made with these TVs.
Old 10/19/2014, 12:37 AM   #23 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

You know I have a TV STB that has had some homebrewed custom firmware available - it adds a fair amount of functionality. Sound familiar?

I mean, on a big enough screen, LuneOS could probably run Enyo 'Moonstone' apps. If anyone ever completed the RaspberryPi port, that could be a telly box right there...
Old 10/19/2014, 02:08 AM   #24 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Remember the scandal when a guy caught an LG TV sending home a list of all his files from a networked drive? Well... i'm not surprised if your suspicions come true
I don't think it's likely you'll see something like that happening again.

If the TV is being setup the first time, or after having a full reset performed on it, then this makes total sense -- there are a lot of icons on a fresh device that aren't actually installed applications, they merely point to the store page to get them.

I don't have any knowledge in how the application update process works, but I do know that sometimes launching an app does produce a message "Update required". I have no intimate knowledge of how this does work ,but I do know that it -doesn't- work by doing a check with a remote server at the time that you click on it.

I still would definitely recommend that anyone who is affected by any problem, and especially a problem where you can't do something on your TV that you should be able to, contact the support number (i believe instructions on obtaining that were posted earlier in this thread). Going on the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" method of problem solving and just posting about it in this forum, no matter how great this forum is, isn't likely to get too much attention from the people who can actually solve the problem of the store being unavailable. And please post back on this forum so we can see how it went :-)
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 10/19/2014, 02:09 AM   #25 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
You know I have a TV STB that has had some homebrewed custom firmware available - it adds a fair amount of functionality. Sound familiar?

I mean, on a big enough screen, LuneOS could probably run Enyo 'Moonstone' apps. If anyone ever completed the RaspberryPi port, that could be a telly box right there...
Are Pi capable of 1080p output these days? get a USB TV tuner that works with one, and some way to HDMI input to it, and you're golden. .... well, golden if you want to do a whole hell of a lot of development for it.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2014, 03:40 AM   #26 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

RPi had 1080p from the start...

Downloads | Raspberry Pi (2 XMBC based media OS's)

Raspberry Pi € View forum - Media centres

Raspberry Pi - WebOS-Ports

https://qt-project.org/wiki/RaspberryPi_Beginners_guide

I think it has to be going pretty much 'flat out' to deliver the video, so possibly an overlaid interface might be too much.
Old 10/21/2014, 02:06 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
RPi had 1080p from the start...

Downloads | Raspberry Pi (2 XMBC based media OS's)

Raspberry Pi € View forum - Media centres

Raspberry Pi - WebOS-Ports

https://qt-project.org/wiki/RaspberryPi_Beginners_guide

I think it has to be going pretty much 'flat out' to deliver the video, so possibly an overlaid interface might be too much.
I emailed the Danish LG support yesterday in regards to this issue. They stated that due to "too many" users the servers were not able to handle all of them. So they are in the process of upgrading the servers so that the capacity increases. No answer to when it would be fixed - however when I came home yesterday evening I was able to access the store again and use Netflix. Havent tried this morning though....

Jeppe
paqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 12/13/2014, 06:56 PM   #28 (permalink)

I have a new LG 65LB6300. Fantastic TV. But I've never been able to get it to login to the LG STORE. PLEASE HELP. It's always unavailable. I've searched the forums and there doesn't seem to be any solution. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you.
clange1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2014, 05:21 AM   #29 (permalink)

Hi...
I bought an LG LB65 smart 3d tv from dubai & brought to my home country Bangladesh.
But now I cant log in to LG app store.

Then what will I do if I cant use the apps in a smart tv with webOS?

-Ripan, Bangladesh
ripansays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2014, 06:24 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
The more problems are reported directly to LG, the more likely they are to get fixed. Sadly, that's the only advice I can give.
I'm in Algeria. I've the same problem. Where are you LG? Why Didn't use Android?
Mounir Amir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2015, 09:25 AM   #31 (permalink)

i dont have the lg application store ICON on my smart TV! how can i get the lg application store/ content store?
dinesh seechurn is offline   Reply With Quote