webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > Interesting read: the webOS team and LG
Interesting read: the webOS team and LG
Like Tree21Likes

Old 09/01/2014, 03:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

No one has killed anything.. well, not since Leo anyway
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2014, 09:08 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiday View Post
Sorry, I forgot this is the WebOS forum. Didn't mean to insult the WebOS fans. Just stop by to find answers to my new TV.
If you want answers for your webOS TV, here is a good review:

LG Smart+ TV review | webOS TV review

Cheers
mike5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2014, 01:03 AM   #23 (permalink)

I happened to find some of the comments in this article truly enlightening (probably more so than the article itself, which is hardly a surprise, as most of us have surmised).

I don't update my TVs very often (usually when they are no longer reasonably fixable - by me). I now have Roku devices, and wouldn't be without one (or some other streaming adapter). As someone pointed out in the comments to the article, LG (and other hardware manufacturers) should focus on making a decent display, and let consumers choose a streaming media "smart" device to pair with their hardware.

To that end, I'd like to see webOS in a streaming media device (the Roku interface - and those of the bundled apps - can be particularly trying). That would be something truly slick, and with a potential for a much wider audience (assume for a moment that LG were to box webOS in a streaming device, and perhaps license the interface/OS to other manufacturers). I could see that as a much more profitable venture for them than smart TVs (I would never own an LG TV; sorry - as a system builder, I have had my fill of lousy LG hardware over the years).

Just thinking out loud...

Cheers
LewisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2014, 01:42 PM   #24 (permalink)

this explains a lot. I hope Lune OS (just call it open webos IDK) comes through
kill_dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2014, 11:05 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl85 View Post
Re: differences in UI philosophy, tech-saavy cultures like in South Korea and Japan are used to complex UIs with lots of features. The Korean LG G2 even has a pull-out TV antenna to watch over-the-air TV.

The problem is that this kind of feature creep is the opposite of consumer trends in the US and elsewhere towards simpler, beautiful UIs. The executives probably wanted something they were comfortable/familiar with and were perhaps somewhat risk-adverse to changing things up, despite buying webOS for that exact reason -- there was likely some internal disagreement over how much freedom to give LG SVL to break from the old ways and do something innovative vs protecting its multi-billion-dollar TV business.
Anyone who's worked in the corporate world can attest to the fact that corporate direction is a whim by the management, pandering to the investors for the next quarter.

WebOS team purchase was a great press release to generate interest for their new platform, but really, the corporate culture may be far too ingrained in the old silo's, and old-world, low risk-diminishing return, business models, that will insure their slow death as the innovators invent a new game. The management likely thinks that they are amazing to have "Used" this dead OS group to create their new product, and therefore it is management that gets credit for "achieving" these results and the team is insignificant and probably a thorn that they will jettison as soon as they can, to eliminate any conflict to their actual corporate culture.

Maybe the WebOS team will prevail and the ideas will stick and influence the group. If the positive critical reception becomes positive consumer reception and vindicates the choices that were promoted by the team they might listen. Or they might just say we got what we wanted, so now we'll do it our way.

Sadly, corporations are comical, and predictable. :-(

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre
hulickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2014, 11:58 PM   #26 (permalink)

And generally don't appreciate their employees that make the magic happen...

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by hulickr likes this.
Old 09/03/2014, 07:25 AM   #27 (permalink)

what a cynical crowd we have here!
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by hulickr likes this.
Old 09/03/2014, 07:42 AM   #28 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petbull View Post
what a cynical crowd we have here!
petbull! What have I told you about hanging around the water cooler!?!

Get back to your cubicle!

;-)
Old 09/03/2014, 08:04 AM   #29 (permalink)

Well at least it's not off-topic. Corporate culture seems to be the heart of the problem written about in the article. It can be a difficult thing to overcome, no matter how great the new ideas might be. Let's hope that history does not repeat itself.

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/17/2014, 09:31 PM   #31 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

/me is still here.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Liked by Grabber5.0 likes this.
Old 09/18/2014, 12:52 PM   #32 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I'm surprised LG hasn't responded in some way.
Old 10/03/2014, 12:08 AM   #33 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
I'm surprised LG hasn't responded in some way.
eeeeeeh corporations don't usually have a whole lot to say about vague accusations. The author of the article really kind of made a huge logic leap, from "some people weren't very happy about how things went" to "everything fell apart" without any kind of explanation or supporting information, and didn't even make much of a case for the end of that leap, let alone the middle of it.

I mean, really, that article is vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaague.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 10/03/2014, 03:52 AM   #34 (permalink)

<<deleted>> just saw this: LG is working on a webOS Smartwatch!

ggg.