webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > The compettion: Roku Smart TV vs LG WebOS
The compettion: Roku Smart TV vs LG WebOS
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bbito
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman

Old 08/21/2014, 07:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

As you know ROKU TV partnered with TCL and Heisense TV manufacturers to launch its streaming TV services on their Smart TVs sets.

Around the web are saying it has a very simple UI. I have never used ROKU at all.

If you are using or did have ROKU TV, how it looks now compared to the LG Smart + WebOS TV? And what about prices? Thanks

Here the ROKU promo video :

https://www.roku.com/roku-tv
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2014, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have no experience with Roku old or new, but I do know that Ben Combee was hired out of being lead architect on Enyo at LG Silicon Valley to join Roku as Senior Developer at the beginning of 2014. So a major engineer on webOS TV's framework is now working on Roku's efforts.
bbito is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by akitayo likes this.
Old 08/21/2014, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have a Roku 3 with my webOS TV. It's funny, I don't use it often because the TV has Netflix and Amazon built in. But I do use it for streaming shows and movies from my computer, or for using PlayOn to watch sporting events (shhhhhh).

When I first got the Roku, my first thought was "why in the hell doesn't a TV manufacturer just build this into the TV?". My second thought was..."wonder how long before TV's have built in DVR capability". I would think that with today's tech, that would be a no-brainer thing to add in a modular design so if it had issues, you could open the panel and swap a module. <meh.. what do I know> LOL

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by akitayo likes this.
Thanked By: akitayo
Old 08/21/2014, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
I have a Roku 3 with my webOS TV. It's funny, I don't use it often because the TV has Netflix and Amazon built in. But I do use it for streaming shows and movies from my computer, or for using PlayOn to watch sporting events (shhhhhh).

When I first got the Roku, my first thought was "why in the hell doesn't a TV manufacturer just build this into the TV?". My second thought was..."wonder how long before TV's have built in DVR capability". I would think that with today's tech, that would be a no-brainer thing to add in a modular design so if it had issues, you could open the panel and swap a module. <meh.. what do I know> LOL
have you tried connecting a USB hard disk to your TV?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote