webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > USA Today: LG's latest OLED HDTV has new features and lower price.
USA Today: LG's latest OLED HDTV has new features and lower price.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By petbull

Old 08/11/2014, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

USA Today: LG's latest OLED HDTV has new features and lower price.

USA Today have found that the holy grail of TVs is becoming more attainable, because the expensive TVs last year are now price lowered and maybe more affordable than before.

"The displays have a new Smart TV operating system based on WebOS, which LG acquired last year from Hewlett-Packard, as well as a wireless gesture-controlled LG Magic remote. There is also a pedestal stand that can be used to rest the TV on a tabletop or be removed for on-the-wall mounting. "

Read the full story on:

LG's latest OLED HDTV has new features and lower price
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2014, 06:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm waiting for the plasma with Webos.
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2014, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petbull View Post
Same here, even better if it was a Panasonic one
Old 08/11/2014, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Are plasma screens still being made?

Panasonic's plasma TV exit is the end of a brilliant era | News | TechRadar

Could be a long wait . . .
MikeN68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2014, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by petbull View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Same here, even better if it was a Panasonic one
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
Are plasma screens still being made?

Panasonic's plasma TV exit is the end of a brilliant era | News | TechRadar

Could be a long wait . . .
IMHO I think Plasma screens are already discontinued or just coming up until the end of 2014:

"Now LG is the last manufacturer making plasma displays, though CNET points out that the company has already altered one of its plasma production lines to make solar batteries."

Panasonic and now Samsung are discontinuing plasma television manufacturing.

and a lot of info about that:

https://www.google.com.ec/search?q=P...m=122&ie=UTF-8

Sorry guys.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2014, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I know that they're not being made anymore, but I simply cannot settle for LCD/LED image "quality". OLED MIGHT be OK but first needs to mature a few generations. Image quality wise plasma beats LCD/LED. Panasonic's last plasma series is still available in small amounts until stock runs out. LG sadly didn't announce any 2014 plasma models either :'(

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 08/12/2014, 07:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
. LG sadly didn't announce any 2014 plasma models either :'(

But they didn't outright say they weren't!

Hello? we are using webos phones here. We are the definition of hope or hopeless, take your pick. It is our lot in life to root f for the best while the world goes for the convenient. We are the yin to their yang. Change comes slow in our neighborhood. I'm still using some Lotus programs. I have an Atari TT computer somewhere in my basement. I still use my Treo to score baseball games and I laugh at the people using their fancy Ipads to do the same as their battery drains. (ok, maybe that's because they are video chatting and checking email while streaming game results live on the internet at the same time, but that is a flash in the pan, anyway! That internet thing won't last!)

well, anyway, I think LG needs to get rid of the old smart TV system and go with Webos across the board. It's confusing when looking for a TV and the advertisers are starting to mix up the images in their ads. So put Webos on the last round of plasma's and count me in as a buyer. I have a spot for it right next to my Atari.
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Preemptive, MikeN68 and denomd like this.
Old 08/12/2014, 08:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Well, all the future LG smart TVs will be webOS, so that's something...
Old 08/12/2014, 12:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I know that they're not being made anymore, but I simply cannot settle for LCD/LED image "quality". OLED MIGHT be OK but first needs to mature a few generations. Image quality wise plasma beats LCD/LED. Panasonic's last plasma series is still available in small amounts until stock runs out. LG sadly didn't announce any 2014 plasma models either :'(

hmm. maybe it's just me, but all the plasmas I've seen (I think a total of 3, 1 in a store, 2 in friends homes) the screen brightness levels were absolutely terrible. Plasmas weren't available when I was still in the sales end of the TV business.. so I don't have too much experience.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2014, 02:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
hmm. maybe it's just me, but all the plasmas I've seen (I think a total of 3, 1 in a store, 2 in friends homes) the screen brightness levels were absolutely terrible. Plasmas weren't available when I was still in the sales end of the TV business.. so I don't have too much experience.
They're not brightness canons in general for that you need LED/LCD but they have the best blacks and color representation available. Best seen in low lighting settings. I prefer to watch movies like in the cinema so in a more or less dark room :-) Showrooms hardly ever do justice to plasma due to the large amount of artifical light. A high end store with a proper viewing space will give you a better impression. Plasma for sure has it's flaws and no "perfect" TV exists, but with all the pro's and con's plasma wins hands down for me personally.