webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > Once new 2015 models come out will the 2014 still get OS updates?
Once new 2015 models come out will the 2014 still get OS updates?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ryancell
  • 1 Post By ToniCipriani
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By eblade

Old 07/22/2014, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

I recall reading that they are planning a new version of webOS for 2015 model tvs, but surely that means just a new version of the OS. Question is, are these tv's being designed so that the older models will adapt to the newest OS like phones were?

I'd hope that if I got a 2014 model, that once the 2015 one comes out, the old ones will see an OS update?

Am I correct in thinking so? Otherwise I'll just hold out for a 2015 model.
ryancell is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Marco Polano likes this.
Old 07/22/2014, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just pray LG won't all of a sudden decide to shut down all hardware production right after the 2015 models are announced then sell off webOS.

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by boovish likes this.
Old 07/22/2014, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't think they'll pull an Apothekar, but once bitten, twice shy. :/

Sent using WebOS Nation mobile app

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 07/22/2014, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm sure they will keep the updates rolling out to keep all webOS TV's on the same version. I'm going to be an optimist on this one since it isn't HP.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 07/24/2014, 07:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
I'm sure they will keep the updates rolling out to keep all webOS TV's on the same version. I'm going to be an optimist on this one since it isn't HP.
Well, they might not be HP.... But history has its own funny ways of repeating itself.

We all remember, what happened with HP or Palm promise to bring WebOS 2.0 – ahem! To Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi.
Old 07/24/2014, 07:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
Well, they might not be HP.... But history has its own funny ways of repeating itself.

We all remember, what happened with HP or Palm promise to bring WebOS 2.0 – ahem! To Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi.
To be fair... a few of us here (myself included) were part of the HP Beta team for webOS 2.0. The webOS team worked their butts off trying to get it to work, but in the end the hardware just wouldn't support it. For every bug we saw fixed, it would break something else. Even using it you could just sense it just wasn't meant to happen for that hardware (and we were huge supporters). Those teams worked really hard. That one was definitely not HP being HP as it was up to the webOS development team to make the call. We were with them through the whole process and it boiled down to simply having to cut and move forward. I had the most recent version of 2.0 on my Pre at the time and the phone just didn't have the ability to support what was needed. We (the beta team) wanted it to work just as bad as everyone in the forums... but we can all attest that they made a hard call on that one, but the right call. The resources they freed up went to work on the Pre3 and Touchpad software right away - which was gearing up for release and behind on development because HP were being jerks about trying for the early release.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/24/2014 at 02:20 PM.
Thanked by cbosdell, Lansing2002
Old 07/24/2014, 08:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'd never heard this detail before. Thanks for the behind the scenes info.
evacaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/24/2014, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Of course now you can get 2.2.4 for any device. :-)

I wouldn't make assumptions on any upgrade cycles.. Apple is still the only manufacturer that gives long term software updates for anything.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 07/24/2014, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Of course now you can get 2.2.4 for any device. :-)
LOL true... At the time, HP had dev resources so spread out. The brains at the top of HP announced the TP and Pre3 release date and all sorts of sweating started. I felt bad for those guys because they were working so hard (and so well) on everything and then had to stop on the Pre 2.x development to meet the new hardware release time (from our understanding at the time).

ahh... the memories that whole thing dredges up....

Old 07/25/2014, 12:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Originally the plan was to support webOS 2.0 on all devices. That didn't pan out. We gave up on supporting low-memory hardware like the Pre- and Pixi in around October 2010.

Another problem was data migration. webOS 1.x and 2.x used completely different database schemas -- webOS 1.x used SQLite and 2.x used a NoSQL-style JSON data store. We had some fairly complex code to export the data from webOS 1.x and rewrite it into the 2.x database tables, and be able to work with the new email/PIM sync services which had been completely rewritten. Additionally, it would do fun stuff like non-destructively repartition the disk (with fallbacks if it ran out of space) and restructure cached data like contact photos and email body text.

It worked maybe 95% of the time, but screwing up 5% of the time is not an option when it comes to customer data. We couldn't release it as an OTA update. In the end, we released 2.x doctors for European carriers since it was 1) optional for users to install at their own risk, and 2) didn't require live data migration.

The migration code shipped on the 2.0 image but is never run. From what I've heard, a version of the code still lives in the cloud, and handles server-side migration of backed-up data when loading a 1.x profile onto a 2.x device.

While I'm on the topic of upgrades: getting the latest version of an OS on phones is heavily dependent on carrier certification, which is a long, expensive process that sucks up a lot of time and involves meeting a tons of stupid requirements that carriers come up with on a whim (especially US carriers). If you're irritated at how non-flagship Android phones never get updates, that's a big part of the reason why.

It used to be even worse, before Apple came along and told AT&T that they were never going to implement obsolete feature phone requirements like WAP for the iPhone. The requirements are still in some of the carrier specs but everyone just points to Apple and says, well, they didn't do it, so why should we?

Verizon was especially bad. We gave them a final build of webOS 2.1 for the Pre 2 in February 2011 (in addition to preliminary builds in late 2010). They finally released it -- with no changes from the February version to the best of my knowledge -- in June/August 2011. Unfortunately 2.0.1 had some pretty bad bugs that Verizon Pre 2 customers had to live with for a long time, like the email black box problem.

Last edited by jl85; 07/25/2014 at 01:20 PM.
jl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/25/2014, 01:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

I love all of this inside info - it confirms what many already suspected and posted. Thanks.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote