webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > LG webOS TV: App list
LG webOS TV: App list

Old 06/30/2014, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

I like LG's thought process when it comes to apps. They aren't pushing them because they say they want the experience to be about content and not apps. So far, I'm finding that most of the content that I need is built right into the TV with key apps... so much so that there are only a couple of other services that I rely on my Roku 3 for yet. One of those being the MediaBrowser app which allows me to connect directly to my computer to stream downloaded movies and tv shows.

I like how smooth and well done these key apps are:
  • Netflix
  • AmazonPrime
  • YouTube
  • HuluPlus (but I cancelled my subscription since the content sucked - wasn't worth it)

What I'm finding that I'm missing right now would be only 2 key apps:

Media Browser app - the SmartShare app they have currently is a bad alternative to what the Roku has. SmartShare does work, but with it you have to open up the application on your computer, choose the video file and send it to your TV. The video starts playing instantly on the TV, but you have to control it from the computer (not a functional option compared to Roku). Hopefully they get an app like MediaBrowser for the televisions instead of the current options.

TV Guide
- none so far in the US. I've seen this app running in reviews in other countries, but there is nothing in the store yet and I've yet to see anything displayed in US reviews. Because I'm a cord-cutter, this is an app that I sorely miss. The tv guide in the Microsoft Media Center is exactly what they need to copy!

Are there any apps that you love or are waiting for from LG to bring to the webOS TV's ? Some countries have different titles and services available - what do you love or miss?

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2014, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

What? No EPG?

Well, if such an app needs to be made, I'd say make it so you can send programmes you want to see to your calendar app - if there is one of those. Then you can plan your viewing along with the rest of your life or change the time if you are time shifting the show.

Last edited by Preemptive; 07/01/2014 at 05:09 AM.
Preemptive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2014, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

The HTC TV app that I have on my phone works really well (different app than the LG TV app). It gives me a fantastic layout and does control my TV via IR emitter. But I'd like to have a good one on the TV. The TV does have a "live TV" function built into the LG store, but again... it's not smooth to use as you would have to open the LG Store app, then go over to the "live Tv" link on the side. Too many steps and not a true guide function (just a few icons to shows) - inelegant.

The HTC app works really well, but it does tend to be a battery hog. I'd just like to see something elegant built into the set.

Old 06/30/2014, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Maybe PLEX or any other media browser where i could choose the folders I want to see on it and will show the cover and information of my movies/tv shows and music something like WDTV does.

About the Smartshare I didnt know you need to start somethig from your computer. I have a NAS connected to my network and it reads every media on it and i can play it without the use of a computer or anything else. It just show the files not in the best way. no way to sort it or show any metadata.

I was forgetting and I would like to have Spotify or Rdio.
eoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2014, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

The other problem with SmartShare is that it scans your computer for any networked devices. Because of the way the PlayOn service runs, SmartShare sees this and loads every... single... file... PlayOn... has... (thousands). You cannot remove the PlayOn folders from the SmartShare scan either. It takes forrrrreeeeevvvvvveeerrrr for that app to scan because of this which makes finding a single file to play take forever. I've got Plex on my Roku, but you only get a trial period before you have to purchase the app, and I find the MediaBrowser app faster for the daily shows I download for my commutes.

Old 07/01/2014, 12:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
The other problem with SmartShare is that it scans your computer for any networked devices. Because of the way the PlayOn service runs, SmartShare sees this and loads every... single... file... PlayOn... has... (thousands). You cannot remove the PlayOn folders from the SmartShare scan either. It takes forrrrreeeeevvvvvveeerrrr for that app to scan because of this which makes finding a single file to play take forever. I've got Plex on my Roku, but you only get a trial period before you have to purchase the app, and I find the MediaBrowser app faster for the daily shows I download for my commutes.
You could install the LG SmartShare server (which is either a re-branded, or lightly modified Plex), or Plex, and then SmartShare can find your stuff. Actually, you can even have it find your stuff if it's in the Windows Media Player library. I have to admit, though, I'm not a big fan of the design of the SmartShare UI...
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2014, 01:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

As far as I know, SmartShare is basically DLNA, so it should work with any DLNA server.
jl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2014, 07:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

I see what you all are saying. I guess I need to play with it more.. but since I already have a Roku Player with better options it hasn't been on my to-do list. The UI is just not good, and unless I can somehow get it to ignore the PlayOn server files it will keep trying to load thousands of titles from there.

I have Plex also... but the TV doesn't have that app yet.

Old 12/08/2014, 08:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've been using Plex for quite a while with a RaspberryPi as the client/agent and my PC as the server. I just got a new LG 4K TV and suddenly feel like I'm very close to not needing the RPi. The fewer devices the better! What would be the most ideal is if I could just use a NAS and have the TV act as both the server and the client. For now is be happy with an actual Plex app available from the LG store. Even non-free would be fine, just like the mobile apps.

The Plex devs nerd to get on that!
MrSatoV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2014, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hello US users, please list LG apps in ur country/region in order to know what I'm missing
xocox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2014, 10:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWill22 View Post
...The smart TV apps are all the same on other platforms. Netflix, YouTube, Hulu and amazon look exactly the same on the Samsung but the Samsung store has many more apps.
Yes, the Samsung store has more apps, but it has also been in existence a heck of a lot longer. The LG Store for webOS just started. Give it time - more apps will come.

Old 12/31/2014, 05:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSatoV View Post
I've been using Plex for quite a while with a RaspberryPi as the client/agent and my PC as the server. I just got a new LG 4K TV and suddenly feel like I'm very close to not needing the RPi. The fewer devices the better! What would be the most ideal is if I could just use a NAS and have the TV act as both the server and the client. For now is be happy with an actual Plex app available from the LG store. Even non-free would be fine, just like the mobile apps.

The Plex devs nerd to get on that!
There *IS* a Plex client on the LG store and has been for several months now - It's called 'Playz' and it's in the premium section of the WebOS store and it works perfectly It cost 3 in the UK
Dan Shortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2015, 05:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

what do you think about PlayZ (plex app)?
Gabriel Douran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2015, 08:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Douran View Post
what do you think about PlayZ (plex app)?
This app works well enough for me. Worth $5 for sure.
cdjh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lg webos, lgwebos, webos tv