webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > LG promises future products powered by WebOS.
LG promises future products powered by WebOS.
Like Tree20Likes

Old 06/26/2014, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

According to the latest news from LG:

" LG is working on the new platform now[ second generation of WebOS Tv's] and will unveil it sometime next year in 2015, Lee In-kyu, LG's senior vice president of TV, told The Wall Street Journal in an interview published on Yesterday (Thursday). All of LG's high-end Smart TVs that launch next year will come with the new version WebOS installation, he said."

Lee In-kyu also talked about the WebOS team and their efforts with LG to integrate the team within the company plans for the future SmartTV business. “My homework is to manage that team well so that they will be satisfied on the job[despite the arguments over the design aspect of TV menu and language UI] in order to continue developing the platform into a stable and convenient one,” Senior Vice President Lee In-kyu, who runs LG’s TV business told Wall Street Journal. For better team work, batches of engineers also flew to Korea and Silicon Valley staying on for weeks, with the WebOS team to design the WebOS TV Platform.

He also mentioned future devices for home appliances powered by Palm's WebOS, here we go..... Are we gonna be seeing washers machines or toasters?

Via: Cnet and "Wall Street Journal".

Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 06/27/2014 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Included links of the article per request by moderators
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, akitayo, HelloNNNewman and 1 others like this.
Old 06/26/2014, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
According to the latest news from LG:

" LG is working on the new platform now and will unveil it sometime next year, Lee In-kyu, LG's senior vice president of TV, told The Wall Street Journal in an interview published on Thursday. All of LG's high-end Smart TVs that launch next year will come with the new WebOS installation, he said.". He also mentioned future devices for home appliances power by WebOS, here we go..... Are we gonna be seeing washers or toasters?

Via: Cnet
as I can see there is no pipeline for LG smarphones or tablets with WebOS until now.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 06/27/2014, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

@OP... Can you post a link to the article you are quoting? Thx!

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2014, 07:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
@OP... Can you post a link to the article you are quoting? Thx!

He did supply a link. bottom of post.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/06/...he-webos-team/
etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: HelloNNNewman
Old 06/27/2014, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
as I can see there is no pipeline for LG smarphones or tablets with WebOS until now.
i can see that being a good once their tv's manage to rake in some app devs, once they get a nice collection going THEN they can have a good attempt at a webOS mobile device imho.
Old 06/27/2014, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
Nice article, but they shouldn't have discussions about the slant, but about the small font size :
Quote:
For instance, there was quite a bit of discussion over the design of the menu bar that is displayed on the home screen of the current version of the WebOS TV including the 10 degree slant in the menu buttons.

Quote:
“Now, I believe they understand why,” Lee said, noting that the engineers in the U.S. are content to see their work come to life in a relatively short period of time.
Quote:
The company targets 10 million units by the end of the first half of next year.
Well sprint in production and marathon in selling ...
That's quite a number compared to the 270.000 Touchpads

Last edited by gizmo21; 06/27/2014 at 09:31 AM.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2014, 09:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
He did supply a link. bottom of post.

How LG Is Integrating the WebOS Team - Digits - WSJ
Thx... the link didn't show up on my page on the tablet. (funny thing is it was the CM Firefox app and not the webOS browser).

Thanks for pointing it out! Jumped on my computer to read it.

Old 06/27/2014, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Pretty interesting WSJ article. Funny, it totally made me think of that old Michael Keaton movie "Gung Ho" where the American and Japanese (in this case) attitudes clashed and they had to work hard to see things from each other's point of views.

Liked by TJs11thPre likes this.
Old 06/27/2014, 11:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

BTW the inscription on the picture is in Russian. In translation: "tablets and phones with webOS this autumn".

Pilotovef is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by vgg, Rnp and HelloNNNewman like this.
Thanked by HelloNNNewman, Rnp
Old 06/27/2014, 12:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

It was a cruel joke - I scrolled all the way up with trembling hands ;-)
briest is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and HelloNNNewman like this.
Old 06/27/2014, 05:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by briest View Post
It was a cruel joke - I scrolled all the way up with trembling hands ;-)
. I'm not getting excited until I see a WebOS (or whatever it morphs into) smartphone for sale by my carrier, and that's a REAL long shot because my carrier is Sprint. Sorry for sounding negative, but just being realistic.
purplepansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2014, 05:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
. I'm not getting excited until I see a WebOS (or whatever it morphs into) smartphone for sale by my carrier, and that's a REAL long shot because my carrier is Sprint. Sorry for sounding negative, but just being realistic.
I'm with ya buddy. For now, I'm bailing water as fast as I can on the legacy webOS boat.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by purplepansy and TJs11thPre like this.
Thanked By: Preemptive
Old 06/27/2014, 05:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Not to start gushing but I love webOS. I have moved on to other phones for right now but I would buy a webOS phone tomorrow if it came out.
twint7787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman and purplepansy like this.
Old 06/28/2014, 12:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
i can see that being a good once their tv's manage to rake in some app devs, once they get a nice collection going THEN they can have a good attempt at a webOS mobile device imho.
crossed fingers then
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2014, 04:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
Pretty interesting WSJ article. Funny, it totally made me think of that old Michael Keaton movie "Gung Ho" where the American and Japanese (in this case) attitudes clashed and they had to work hard to see things from each other's point of views.
Thanks, I'm glad that everyone ( HelloNNNewman including) liked the article and I got to share it with the WebOS community forums members (plus I thought it was a worthy read for all WebOS fans). I haven't seen the movie thou, but the WSJ article was pretty funny because it somehow gave us a inside look of how the WebOS team is managing the language barriers with the LG team.

Here hoping that LG, gets some sense into the heads and expand beyond television and home appliances.
Old 06/28/2014, 08:00 AM   #16 (permalink)

a strong hint of a phone would go a long way in giving me hope, but I don't see it coming for a long time. It won't be there to pick up where HP left off. I could see them doing something overseas long before the US became a market again.
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2014, 08:47 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petbull View Post
a strong hint of a phone would go a long way in giving me hope, but I don't see it coming for a long time. It won't be there to pick up where HP left off. I could see them doing something overseas long before the US became a market again.

In all honesty I think they will treat webOS similarly to how Samsung has been treating Tizen. Slowly building it and refining it and trying to get developers on board. In LG's case though they seem to already have interest via their smart tv's so you never know... Not saying it is likely but I believe that is their plan.
twint7787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2014, 12:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Do you know 'google play edition'? I think they should offer the webOS-Ports team at least one device to install webOS onto. What's the new one? LG G3? So, a new phone is released and webOS-Ports announces that they support it thanks to help from LG. You install webOS if you want and LG gets feedback on the possibilities of a webOS phone. If it goes well, perhaps it becomes an official option you can order: LG G4, webOS edition. Or should that be LG Pre4?

P.S. I realise a TV app may be designed for a bigger screen, but can Enyo TV apps run on at least the TP? I'm not sure if TV apps will be a big thing or not, but I guess it may be worth pursuing for LG to gain further advantage over Samsung. And if TV apps sort of = phone & tablet apps (maybe with design/screen size tweaks), then that builds the eco-system.

Last edited by Preemptive; 06/28/2014 at 12:07 PM.
Preemptive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2014, 12:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

The problem i see is this:

LG is already making money on phones. How much MORE money could they possibly make if the phones were based on webOS vs android? Offset that potential profit with the expense of developing and marketing a new product that essentially, only WE care about.

It will be a long time, and if anything did come out it would not be what we know today.

Blame me. But unless someone buys the Palm brand with the sole intent of rereleasing a portrait slider with keyboard, we are stuck with veer, pre3, or frankenpre2 as our only options. Sorry to be so cynical, but I'm used to not getting what i want. As long as i love webOS, there won't be another one like this.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by petbull likes this.
Old 06/28/2014, 12:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

You have a valid point, but how much MORE money is Samsung making on phones? These are just more Android phones. Maybe Samsung makes better hardware, maybe their UI tweaks are better than LG's. I don't know the figures, but it's been suggested that Samsung is the only player making any real profit in the mobile sector and possibly LG is being helped by google pushing Nexus business their way. In these devices, LG have shown they can deliver competitive phones and it may be in Google's interest to maintain them to avoid Samsung becoming too powerful, just as Samsung have developed Tizen in the event that Google gets too powerful.

One interesting strategy to try would be for LG to put a webOS-like UI over Android and lead with Enyo built-in apps - bringing the webOS TV experience to phones, then simply moving over to full webOS (perhaps with a dalvik runtime).