webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > LG promises future products powered by WebOS.
LG promises future products powered by WebOS.
Like Tree20Likes

Old 06/29/2014, 01:37 PM   #21 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
The problem i see is this:

LG is already making money on phones. How much MORE money could they possibly make if the phones were based on webOS vs android? Offset that potential profit with the expense of developing and marketing a new product that essentially, only WE care about.

It will be a long time, and if anything did come out it would not be what we know today.

Blame me. But unless someone buys the Palm brand with the sole intent of rereleasing a portrait slider with keyboard, we are stuck with veer, pre3, or frankenpre2 as our only options. Sorry to be so cynical, but I'm used to not getting what i want. As long as i love webOS, there won't be another one like this.
The last influential person in the wireless (service provider side) industry that demanded keyboards on phones left Sprint a year or two ago. I suspect that Blackberry will be the last manufacturer to make phones with keyboards, so once they finish circling the drain, that'll probably be the end of keyboards on phones.

User demand for keyboards is pretty much limited to only former Palm and Blackberry users, and the occasional person who came from a dumb-phone with a qwerty keyboard. Anyone would probably be crazy to manufacture a keyboard-phone unless it can largely share manufacturing capacity with a non-keyboard phone somehow.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2014, 05:15 PM   #22 (permalink)

....and then Apple will introduce a phone with a keyboard and it will be "revolutionary" and suddenly everyone will want this 'new ingenious' design.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, Garfonso and TJs11thPre like this.
Old 06/29/2014, 07:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

We could all buy Nexus things then that 'very like Blackberry' add-on keyboard for the iphone!

Then make a back for the Nexus that holds the keyboard and slides up & down...
Old 06/30/2014, 01:49 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
The last influential person in the wireless (service provider side) industry that demanded keyboards on phones left Sprint a year or two ago. I suspect that Blackberry will be the last manufacturer to make phones with keyboards, so once they finish circling the drain, that'll probably be the end of keyboards on phones.

User demand for keyboards is pretty much limited to only former Palm and Blackberry users, and the occasional person who came from a dumb-phone with a qwerty keyboard. Anyone would probably be crazy to manufacture a keyboard-phone unless it can largely share manufacturing capacity with a non-keyboard phone somehow.
You forgot T-Mobile.... they had several "exclusive" QWERTY Androids. the past 2 years. Galaxy S Relay (custom AT&T S3 specifically for them minus LTE plus a keyboard), and now the LG F3Q (rebadged Verizon LG Enact for their HSPA+/LTE network). They also had the Huawei and LG myTouch Qs.

Only unfortunate part is all of these have at most low-midrange specs.

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2014, 01:54 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
You forgot T-Mobile.... they had several "exclusive" QWERTY Androids. the past 2 years. Galaxy S Relay (custom AT&T S3 specifically for them minus LTE plus a keyboard), and now the LG F3Q (rebadged Verizon LG Enact for their HSPA+/LTE network). They also had the Huawei and LG myTouch Qs.

I was tempted to buy & unlock these to attempt to port FirefoxOS to them simply because they were modern QWERTY smartphones.
Saijin_Naib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2014, 01:54 PM   #26 (permalink)

If they are going to go into more areas with webOS, I hope they start looking to users and developers for feedback on bugs and wants better than they are now. I noticed today on their developer site that a guy was posting bugs for each version that he was encountering and they told him they weren't monitoring bugs there. They referred him to contact his local LG support. Ugh.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/30/2014 at 03:18 PM.
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2014, 02:50 PM   #27 (permalink)

Um that's not a good way to keep your developer community interested.

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2014, 05:47 PM   #28 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post

when I researched extensively just before Thanksgiving, T-Mobile only showed Blackberry phones for keyboard available, other than one ancient Android 2.2 device. Maybe there are a few out there still. The demand for them is incredibly low, though :|
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2014, 01:26 PM   #29 (permalink)

LG could release webOS based dect cordless phone, like Panasonic KX-PRX120, an Android powered device. They could use webOS to power their high end AC remotes...
Old 07/03/2014, 08:45 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
....and then Apple will introduce a phone with a keyboard and it will be "revolutionary" and suddenly everyone will want this 'new ingenious' design.
they already have those fugly clip on 3rd party keyboards.
Old 07/07/2014, 10:41 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
LG could release webOS based dect cordless phone, like Panasonic KX-PRX120, an Android powered device. They could use webOS to power their high end AC remotes...
That would be pretty awesome to have a house phone running webOS at least. I have a magicjack for my home phone I rarely use (since I use my cell). But I would buy a house phone if it ran webOS with a touchscreen. Would be a step in the right direction at least.
ryancell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2014, 07:44 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancell View Post
That would be pretty awesome to have a house phone running webOS at least. I have a magicjack for my home phone I rarely use (since I use my cell). But I would buy a house phone if it ran webOS with a touchscreen. Would be a step in the right direction at least.

Not sure they'd go the house phone route. I just saw a story on 4 out of 10 people have given up their landline for 100% cell.
etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote