webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > Lg rolls out webos sdk for lg smart+ tvs
Lg rolls out webos sdk for lg smart+ tvs
Like Tree7Likes

Old 06/24/2014, 09:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

The news is LG Developer webOSTV has a new site look ::: LG Developer | webOS TV ::: and it is really good organized.

Eagerly Awaited Software Development Kit and
Web Site to Expand Support for webOS TV App Development

SEOUL, June 25, 2014 — LG Electronics (LG) today unveiled its Software Development Kit (SDK) to help developers create new LG Smart+ TV apps with greater ease and efficiency. A new accompanying website (::: LG Developer | webOS TV :::) will provide developers with access to all the information they need to create high quality webOS TV apps.

LG’s SDK simplifies the process for developers to write apps compatible with the company’s Smart+ TVs. With LG Smart+ TV Emulator, developers will be able to set up a virtual webOS TV experience on a PC. The SDK has a developer-friendly user interface and works with standard web technologies, including HTML5, Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) and JavaScript.

The new website contains tech-related documents, development tips, sample apps, design guide, FAQs and developer forum. The Application Programming Interface (API) guide will help developers get started almost immediately without a long orientation process and clear step-by-step explanations are provided for beginners to webOS.

“One key reason behind selecting webOS as our next smart TV operating system was because of its history and origins as a developer-friendly platform,” said Dr. Scott Ahn, LG’s Chief Technology Officer. “We feel it’s very important for platform owners such as LG to assist developers in creating apps that are highly maximized for our products. In an industry where there is no single dominant standard, expanding the webOS TV ecosystem is a top priority for LG.”

LG Newsroom

LG*„ž, ›OS ŠˆŠ+ TVš • œœ „구 공œ | Social LG*„ž

::: LG Developer | webOS TV :::
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2014, 03:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

I wish HBO Nordic would make an app. Would be great to have a weather app as well.
paqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2014, 06:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

LG webOS TV opens arms to devs (and hopes for some app love) - SlashGear

Here is a slashgear article I found
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2014, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
News Contributor

download the SDK : ::: LG Developer | Web SDK :::
Liked by Rnp, jrb363 and boovish like this.
Thanked by boovish, jrb363, Rnp
Old 06/25/2014, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
News Contributor

OK guys (developers) Some of us have a LG WebOS TV already, just make great apps
Old 06/26/2014, 01:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

With the announcement from Google today, launching software update for the "Google TV" with an improved UI and great software features like Voice control and the immense back up from the search giant company...I will like to see how much commitment will LG put on this side project of theirs with the WebOS TV. Looking into latest news online from the event today, it's all apparent that Google are not gonna be sitting on their laurels (this time) and they have decided to fighting back hard to dominate the living room space(once again, after last year failure) even it means squeezing WebOS TV out of the competition. They even planning to launch a SDK program similar to "WebOS: Connect", with the ability to create apps for all kinds of form-factors - phone, tablet, and TVs. That will certainly put a bit of a competition to LG WebOS TV, not only that but LG will to fight its way(big with tons of cash) from the "HP WebOS of 2011"curse to attract new developers to create apps for WebOS TV. And given the track record of WebOS developers *coughing* :roll eyes:, lets hope LG will use their big guns this time and make something great out of WebOS TV and crossing my fingers tablets and phones.

I'm not ready to declare "Google" a winner in this battle, but lets hope that LG doesn't end up sleeping at the wheel.
Old 06/26/2014, 01:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

well, anyone get the SDK up and running? I nudged the IDE, but I don't even slightly comprehend Eclipse, so that was useless to me. Emulator starts and shuts down almost immediately. Hoping it's just something weird in my system :-)
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2014, 01:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
With the announcement from Google today, launching software update for the "Google TV" with an improved UI and great software features like Voice control and the immense back up from the search giant company...I will like to see how much commitment will LG put on this side project of theirs with the WebOS TV. Looking into latest news online from the event today, it's all apparent that Google are not gonna be sitting on their laurels (this time) and they have decided to fighting back hard to dominate the living room space(once again, after last year failure) even it means squeezing WebOS TV out of the competition. They even planning to launch a SDK program similar to "WebOS: Connect", with the ability to create apps for all kinds of form-factors - phone, tablet, and TVs. That will certainly put a bit of a competition to LG WebOS TV, not only that but LG will to fight its way(big with tons of cash) from the "HP WebOS of 2011"curse to attract new developers to create apps for WebOS TV. And given the track record of WebOS developers *coughing* :roll eyes:, lets hope LG will use their big guns this time and make something great out of WebOS TV and crossing my fingers tablets and phones.

I'm not ready to declare "Google" a winner in this battle, but lets hope that LG doesn't end up sleeping at the wheel.
Most of what I've seen is a simple copy of everything that defined webOS. Polymer and Material design screams Enyo all over it. The new Android L look is a mixture of iOS, webOS, Enyo, Mochi
Old 06/26/2014, 04:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
well, anyone get the SDK up and running? I nudged the IDE, but I don't even slightly comprehend Eclipse, so that was useless to me. Emulator starts and shuts down almost immediately. Hoping it's just something weird in my system :-)
On Mac OS X, I had to reboot the system before being able to run the emulator.
jl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2014, 12:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl85 View Post
On Mac OS X, I had to reboot the system before being able to run the emulator.
I got mine working, apparently Windows 8.1 is doing something really bad to my BIOS's Virtualization settings, I can't run with AMD-V enabled.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 06/26/2014, 02:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Had to uninstall windows hyperv

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 06/26/2014, 10:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post

That is an advertising battle Google doesn`t want to lose on TVs. IMHO
Old 06/29/2014, 01:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

I haven't had the funds to get me one just yet but I know I really miss my music player remix, that was an untouchable app and I think with use of the cloud drive and ability to create playlists from former won os devices or the lg even! I think that would be a great feature in my opinion.
zfomby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2014, 06:20 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Most of what I've seen is a simple copy of everything that defined webOS. Polymer and Material design screams Enyo all over it. The new Android L look is a mixture of iOS, webOS, Enyo, Mochi
Interesting comment !
Was there any article about how Polymer and Material design actually relates to Enyo?
Is there any real include of Enyo lib or are Enyo concepts reimplemented in a new way?
Could Polymer become a better/alternative implementation of Enyo?

Is Mochi really used for Android L look - or do you just feel it looks similar in some areas?
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by akitayo likes this.
Old 06/29/2014, 08:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
News Contributor

Related post:
WebOS Smart TV platform. First version called "AFRO" and goes on.
Old 06/29/2014, 09:39 AM   #16 (permalink)

I'm surprised that I couldn't find Ares on the LG developer site. I thought I recalled that early on there was a leaked screenshot of Ares for TV... Anybody know the status of Ares for TV?
[edit] I still curious about the status, since I guess I wasn't dreaming - the Ares readme on github mentions TV:
"Applications made using Ares 2 rely on the Enyo highly portable web technology: they are cross-platform (Linux/Mac/Windows, Android,/iOS/WindowsPhone/Windows8/webOS, Chrome/IE/Firefox/Opera), cross-form-factors (Desktop, Phone, Tablet, TV etc)."
Source: https://github.com/enyojs/ares-proje...a808/README.md

Last edited by bbito; 06/29/2014 at 10:08 AM.
bbito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2014, 10:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
Seriously? You're asking about status? You know where to look!

\/
Well, yes I can find the repo, but I guess I'm asking more about roadmap and why it isn't even mentioned on the LG dev site...
I also follow the enyo forum, so I know they are working on some enyo roadmap info, but such an official pronouncement must need to pass through a lot of review before being made public, so I'm hoping for some possibly less formal insight into Ares position as a webOSTV ide...
bbito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2014, 01:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbito View Post
Well, yes I can find the repo, but I guess I'm asking more about roadmap and why it isn't even mentioned on the LG dev site...
I also follow the enyo forum, so I know they are working on some enyo roadmap info, but such an official pronouncement must need to pass through a lot of review before being made public, so I'm hoping for some possibly less formal insight into Ares position as a webOSTV ide...
While Ares is certainly still available out there, and if I'm not mistaken, some work has been done on that in recent time, the "official" webOS IDE right now is the Eclipse based IDE that comes with the SDK. I've used Ares, even a year ago, to do some pretty amazing things, and I imagine it's only improved since then .. but I think the bulk of the recent work done on it was done by HP related people
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 06/29/2014, 02:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
While Ares is certainly still available out there, and if I'm not mistaken, some work has been done on that in recent time, the "official" webOS IDE right now is the Eclipse based IDE that comes with the SDK. I've used Ares, even a year ago, to do some pretty amazing things, and I imagine it's only improved since then .. but I think the bulk of the recent work done on it was done by HP related people
As far as I remember the Enyo hangout session some month back the position was that Ares will not be used for the first release of the SDK for webos TV. (Instead only a Eclipse based IDE is offered. I did not yet check it out.
At the same time there was development going on for Ares2 (which is partially written in Enyo 2.2) under lead of the HP development team. And in parallel at LG (or elsewhere) there might be some work underway to build a 3rd generation Ares. Sorry - I have no more details to share - even if I wished to get a clearer picture about Ares.
LG Enyo team is currently preparing for the Enyo 2.5 release (which might be close) according to the Enyo forum.

I think I will not use the LG TV SDK before they offer some Ares or Ares-like IDE with it.
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2014, 02:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
As far as I remember the Enyo hangout session some month back the position was that Ares will not be used for the first release of the SDK for webos TV. (Instead only a Eclipse based IDE is offered. I did not yet check it out.
At the same time there was development going on for Ares2 (which is partially written in Enyo 2.2) under lead of the HP development team. And in parallel at LG (or elsewhere) there might be some work underway to build a 3rd generation Ares. Sorry - I have no more details to share - even if I wished to get a clearer picture about Ares.
LG Enyo team is currently preparing for the Enyo 2.5 release (which might be close) according to the Enyo forum.

I think I will not use the LG TV SDK before they offer some Ares or Ares-like IDE with it.
I'm pretty sure there's nothing preventing you from using Ares on your own :-)
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!