webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > Playing movies on webOS
Playing movies on webOS
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eoga

Old 06/06/2014, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hello guys, I'm thinking about getting a 47LB630 but I got some questions about webOS:

1) Can I play my mkv's and avi's from external 1TB NTFS HDD?

2) How will be the bubtitles displayed, can I change their size and position? Is there any problem with Central Europe 1250 coding?

3) Does the tv respect and properly show my folders on my HDD?

I'd be happy for any answer. Thanks in advance!
xxmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2014, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hello xxmen

The TV plays many format including mkv with DTS sound.

About the subtitles they are show correctly at least spanish subtitles. The tv has many encoding formats for it you just have to choose the correct one for yours.

About the folders, I havent connected teh HD directly to the TV, but I play my movies through my NAS, using DLNA or direct sharing, which is the option in the TV and that one doesnt show any folders but all the movie files you have. I guess if you connected directly to the TV it will show you the folders.
eoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2014, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoga View Post
Hello xxmen

The TV plays many format including mkv with DTS sound.

About the subtitles they are show correctly at least spanish subtitles. The tv has many encoding formats for it you just have to choose the correct one for yours.

About the folders, I havent connected teh HD directly to the TV, but I play my movies through my NAS, using DLNA or direct sharing, which is the option in the TV and that one doesnt show any folders but all the movie files you have. I guess if you connected directly to the TV it will show you the folders.
Thanks man, all I care about is to have nice, intuitive, QUICK AND SMOOTH user interface which I think LG provides. Or do you have other experiences?
Old 06/06/2014, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you are looking for a quick and smooth UI interface, you are looking at the right TV's.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2014, 01:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Another quick question before I buy my tv, can I share the content of my tv (e. g. broadcasting) into my mobile phone or tablet?
Old 06/07/2014, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmen View Post
Another quick question before I buy my tv, can I share the content of my tv (e. g. broadcasting) into my mobile phone or tablet?
Can you do that with any TV? I know that is a service provided by the cable companies (and sat) that is part of their hardware ('Home Sharing') that allows you to transfer the show from one device to another, but that's not part of the actual TV itself.

Old 06/07/2014, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

in this day and age youd expect DLNA to work both ways?
Old 06/07/2014, 11:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Haha.. yeah. But to have that ability offered with a TV, wouldn't that device have to have some sort of DMS incorporated into it. Be nice if that function was a PnP option of some sort without having to rely on it being built into a cable box.

Old 06/07/2014, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think I saw it on Samsung 2014 but nwm you're right that it's mainly cable tv business. But I do have one last important question: I'm really worried about the quality of IPS panel, because everybody is saying that IPS sucks and there is nothing better than VA panel. I know that I'll get worse black with IPS but I think that nowadays unless you are a movie fan you can't really see the difference between IPS and VA am I right?
Old 06/07/2014, 12:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmen View Post
I think I saw it on Samsung 2014 but nwm you're right that it's mainly cable tv business. But I do have one last important question: I'm really worried about the quality of IPS panel, because everybody is saying that IPS sucks and there is nothing better than VA panel. I know that I'll get worse black with IPS but I think that nowadays unless you are a movie fan you can't really see the difference between IPS and VA am I right?
This is basically like audiophiles discussing the differences between different preamps or amplifiers. If you take the time to calibrate the settings correctly, you can get a fantastic picture. I spent many years selling this stuff and always use a calibration DVD to set picture quality. Never use the built in settings on TV (they are just there to make them stand out in the store). You can find some pretty good guides on calibrating picture all over the place. Lifehacker posted a decent guide.

I've had both types of panels, and there are a very few serious videophiles who look for the slightest nuances in picture like that, but if you calibrate you will never have a bad picture.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/07/2014 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typo
Thanked By: Grabber5.0
Old 06/07/2014, 01:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

OK, thanks for all the info, I picked up 47LB630V because I really do not need 3D and I presume that Local Dimming does not make so much difference. The only disadvantage I've found is an absence of Magic Controller but the TV should be ready for it so any ideas where to get Magic Motion Controller 2014 (I found model number AN-MR500) as cheap as possible :-) ?
Old 06/07/2014, 02:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Make sure you look up the correct remote... it is the AN-MR500G
Otherwise you will get another remote listed in a Google search.

I've searched on Google and can find images, but haven't found one for sale just yet. Hope you find one (the LG site is down right now for me).

Old 06/07/2014, 07:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

If you want something that works similar to the magic controller you can always use the new LG remote for android. there you get a touchpad to control the cursor in the screen. It is quite nice if your tv doesnt come with it.
eoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Thanked By: HelloNNNewman
Old 06/07/2014, 08:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoga View Post
If you want something that works similar to the magic controller you can always use the new LG remote for android. there you get a touchpad to control the cursor in the screen. It is quite nice if your tv doesnt come with it.
I use that - works well!

Old 06/08/2014, 03:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip :-)