webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > LG disables Smart TV features in the EU OR reenables sniffing in private network
LG disables Smart TV features in the EU OR reenables sniffing in private network
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gizmo21

Old 06/03/2014, 03:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Even after recieving lot's of negative press for collecting personal data in the local network and calling home LG seems to continue to sniff out lot's of personal data via your smart TV.

The guy who reported the sniffing in november has new posting telling that an LG TV update (seems to be for the non webOS 2013 line) forces the user in EU to accept a new "Legal Notice", "Terms of Use" and "Privacy Policy" or " you are denied access to most of the previously available "Smart" features."

DoctorBeet's Blog: LG Disables Smart TV features in the EU to force users to accept new oppressive Privacy policy

Well you can debate if the information LG is collecting is important to you or not and i understand that some features as e.g. recommendation engines need usage data to be able to recommend.

But i think it's kind of a bad strategy to not having options to opt-out on some data collection and therefore having some features disabled (e.g. palm webOS let's you choose to have google collect your location data to use google location service. Or you can choose that one app can "locate" yourself and deny it to the other).

Instead LG chooses the everything or non option.

In the german LG forum is quite active in terms of collecting URL blacklists and whitelists for your routers, so you can ackknowlegde the terms but block data sending:
https://forum.lg.de/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14666&start=80

I seems there are already h4cked FW Versions out there that are "giving the LG customers what they want" and also a firmware downgrade process is descriped here:
Tech Flaws | Things can only get better

This is just an informational post and I don't want to start a flamewar here but i think publicity can change "habbits".

Has anyone already checked what of all this happens on a LG webOS TV?
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Thanked By: HelloNNNewman
Old 06/03/2014, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Great stuff! I'll stick with my dumb Bravia...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
eKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2014, 02:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow... LG is starting to peeve me off with these settings.

Also... now I'm wondering if the jack on the back of the TV that the author of the article talks about as being the headphone jack that LG "hid" on the back of the TV and marked "H/P Out" (instead of putting it on the side of the cabinet) is the same as the jack on the back of my TV but is relabeled "Service Only". They look absolutely identical.

Here's the jack on the back of the article writer's TV:

And here's the jack on the back of my TV:

Just wondering if HP relabeled the headphone jack over to "service only" for some reason. I'm going to give it a go and find out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lgrear.jpg (219.5 KB, 95 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg lgrear2.jpg (105.2 KB, 94 views) Email Attachment

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2014, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

A bit off topic but It's too bad we never adopted the SCART socket. When I worked on European cruise ships and dealt with them for a time it was nice to only have to deal with one type of cable for everything. At least with HDMI now it's a lot better.
joeytino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2014, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Damn. I checked that jack on the back of the TV and nope, it's not a headphone jack.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/03/2014 at 10:09 PM.
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2014, 04:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
I seems there are already h4cked FW Versions out there that are "giving the LG customers what they want" and also a firmware downgrade process is descriped here: Tech Flaws | Things can only get better
Actually, what's "hacked" is the firmware updating process, allowing you to downgrade which usually is not possible for customers. The firmwares themselves are the official ones downloaded from LG's servers.
Techflaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: gizmo21
Old 12/28/2014, 03:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

I bought my LG LB65 smart 3d tv in dubai, UAE & when I was back to my home country Bangladesh, I brought it to home.

but I cant log in to LG store & cant even see the "account management" sub menu too.
Is there any firmware which can fix this? [BTW my firmware is 4.30.XXX which upgraded automatically]

Thanks in advance
RIpan, Bangladesh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1415969673_745465955_3.jpg (34.8 KB, 2 views) Email Attachment
ripansays is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
data, privacy