webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  LG webOS TV > 1M webOS TVs out there
1M webOS TVs out there
Like Tree2Likes

Old 06/01/2014, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

LG smart WebOS TV sales surpass 1m mark

... gist of article: 1,000,000 units have been sold now, in about 3 months.

Wow!
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by akitayo and HelloNNNewman like this.
Thanked By: akitayo
Old 06/01/2014, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Now that's good news for LG! At least it won't be like the original Pre with 1 device returned/swapped for every 3 because of poor hardware. I can't wait for the next software update at the end of June. But I REALLY wish they had a direct feedback site for users to comment. There are a few things that need to be fixed/updated to tweak the interface yet. (ie: they went away from logos in the menu bar and now the writing is too small to read at any distance)

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/2014, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well, I know we've seen at least one or two high-ranking people in LG around here.. perhaps if there was a front-page presence ... if i google for "webos tv forum" the first hit is on a competing site
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 06/01/2014, 04:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
Now that's good news for LG! At least it won't be like the original Pre with 1 device returned/swapped for every 3 because of poor hardware. I can't wait for the next software update at the end of June. But I REALLY wish they had a direct feedback site for users to comment. There are a few things that need to be fixed/updated to tweak the interface yet. (ie: they went away from logos in the menu bar and now the writing is too small to read at any distance)
isn't there already a patch for that
Old 06/01/2014, 07:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
News Contributor

"LG said it aims to expand sales to 150 countries by the end of the year and wants to sell 10 million units by the first half of 2015."

That is like saying 30 million smartphones in one year, more or less. I mean compared with TVs.
At least it keep us positive.

The Press Release on the LG Korean site Translation from Korean to English (not that easy), the English made PR sure will come early tomorrow Monday If you are around please post it on this forum, the site : http://www.lgnewsroom.com/newsroom/

Thanks.

North America / Latin America 320 000 Europe / CIS 38 만대 such sales
■ Web OS, intuitive user experience (UX) of existing Smart TV and differentiation
■ 6 월 Sale in more than 150 countries around the world expand
to 10 million sold in the first half of next year ■ target

Web OS is equipped with LG's Smart + TV of the end of last May, the cumulative worldwide sales surpassed 1 million.

LG Smart + TV is easy to switch ▲ ▲ ▲ Easy Connect Easy navigation, including the nature of the TV 'Easy Usability' distinction as laid out by the next generation of smart TV.

LG Electronics Smart TV to highlight the ease of use, equipped with Smart TV, Web OS plus (+) to paste 'Smart + TV' markets in the new name of a spiral bar.

LG Electronics Smart + TV in the domestic end of February, the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany and abroad, starting in mid-March, has started selling. Smart + TV is now being sold in 45 countries.

LG Smart + TV on the international market, but the two month North America / Latin America 320 000 Europe / CIS 38 만대 such sales were recorded.

Such a short period of time to achieve cumulative sales were 1,000,000 is intuitive rather than the complexity of the existing smart TV user experience (UX) of "quick and easy usability 'is because focusing on.

LG Electronics Web OS platform 'international certification organization in March' UL (Underwriter Laboratories) 'and' Intertek (Intertek) 'certification from the received performance for ease of use. In addition, ssinet, a leading digital media trends from overseas be well received.

This is followed by such popular jimyeonseo Taking orders for sale of overseas customer base growth rate is expected to accelerate further.

LG Electronics Smart + TV selling the country to more than 150 countries in June to the first half of next year to expand the plans to sell more than 10 million.

LG Electronics, HE Kyu division, managing director in charge of the TV business, "Applying the Web OS platform to Launching Smart + TV, smart TV market has lead to the world," he said.

Meanwhile, the market research firm DisplaySearch, the global smart TV market this year from last year's 7,310 units, 8,325 units and 9,354 units in 2015, rapid growth in 2016 to 102.4 million in the bar would be forecast.

http://social.lge.co.kr/newsroom/he/...art_tv_140601/

Last edited by akitayo; 06/01/2014 at 07:26 PM.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2014, 05:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Yeah I have to admit that this is awesome news for us. Maybe phones aren't too far off in out future after all
Old 06/02/2014, 09:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Can only hope... 'cause God knows, I HATE this Android UI. Ugh.

Old 06/02/2014, 09:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
...But I REALLY wish they had a direct feedback site for users to comment...
Hows about an 'official' (LG Exec-friendly) thread here then?

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Mini-5101.120Gb SSD. 3G/Wifi/BT. Win7.
Mutoidi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2014, 09:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
Hows about an 'official' (LG Exec-friendly) thread here then?

already some competition over at...
LG Forum and Discussion - CNET Forums
Old 06/02/2014, 10:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
already some competition over at...
LG Forum and Discussion - CNET Forums
.. Sure.. but with little of the webOS 'patching' expertise that potentially exists here.. sow the seeds in the minds of LG Execs outta here and it is highly likely to become reality thereby?
Was webOS ever 'afraid' of the competition? Ha..

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Mini-5101.120Gb SSD. 3G/Wifi/BT. Win7.
Mutoidi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2014, 10:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Well, I know we've seen at least one or two high-ranking people in LG around here.. perhaps if there was a front-page presence ... if i google for "webos tv forum" the first hit is on a competing site
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
isn't there already a patch for that
Ha Ha!

I tried that Google search. I thought it was fair enough that it was LG's official site in first place, but oh no! Let's go webOS's sneaky strategy is finally paying off! ;-)

So here is a 'patch'! :-)

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...-tv-forum.html
Old 06/02/2014, 03:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

FYI - today for the first time I had the chance to briefly see and try a new LG webos TV which was at display at the German MediaMarkt shop. It was just one of many (hundred) TVs in the shelf in that store. A sticker indicated this is a new webos 2014 model.
I was able to operate it with the remote control. You need to get used to it a bit. I tried a few apps (like Amazon, Tagesschau, YouTube, ..) and I found that all apps first asked for uploading an update (before starting the app).
The good is that there seem to be many recent app updates. The bad appears that in this shop noone must have tried these apps for weeks. So there are no sales people promoting the LG webos TV.
I wonder if you could switch the app software update to automation - to get updates already uploaded to the TV ahead of time and you just need to allow the install. Or even installing could be automated if users want it to happen in the background.

switching between apps and life streams was really working nicely.
Usability of some apps could be improved and sometimes it is difficult to position the cursor exactly where needed. Not sure if I missed some better control on the remote device. I could not figure out how to swipe with the remote.
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2014, 04:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
FYI - today for the first time I had the chance to briefly see and try a new LG webos TV which was at display at the German MediaMarkt shop. It was just one of many (hundred) TVs in the shelf in that store. A sticker indicated this is a new webos 2014 model.
I was able to operate it with the remote control. You need to get used to it a bit. I tried a few apps (like Amazon, Tagesschau, YouTube, ..) and I found that all apps first asked for uploading an update (before starting the app).
The good is that there seem to be many recent app updates. The bad appears that in this shop noone must have tried these apps for weeks. So there are no sales people promoting the LG webos TV.
I wonder if you could switch the app software update to automation - to get updates already uploaded to the TV ahead of time and you just need to allow the install. Or even installing could be automated if users want it to happen in the background.

switching between apps and life streams was really working nicely.
Usability of some apps could be improved and sometimes it is difficult to position the cursor exactly where needed. Not sure if I missed some better control on the remote device. I could not figure out how to swipe with the remote.
You can set the TV to auto-updates for the main software, but each time the system software updates, you will be prompted to update each app when you open them (no way to have them automatically update yet).

Old 06/02/2014, 04:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
You can set the TV to auto-updates for the main software, but each time the system software updates, you will be prompted to update each app when you open them (no way to have them automatically update yet).
Many of those apps aren't pre-installed on the device, it's just an icon that points to an app that downloads them for you.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Thanked By: HelloNNNewman
Old 06/02/2014, 04:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Many of those apps aren't pre-installed on the device, it's just an icon that points to an app that downloads them for you.
Mine came pre-installed with Netflix, YouTube, Vudu, Hulu Plus, Amazon, and Skype. All of those have to be updated after a software update.

Old 06/02/2014, 05:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Mine came pre-installed with Netflix, YouTube, Vudu, Hulu Plus, Amazon, and Skype. All of those have to be updated after a software update.
Hehe I want netflix for my touchpad!
Xadion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2014, 06:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

Connectedly did a blog on this also....

LG announces first webOS milestone, 1 million sales and rising | Connectedly
Old 06/02/2014, 09:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
News Contributor

LG SMART+ TV PASSES ONE MILLION IN SALES SINCE INTRODUCTION

Boasting webOS Platform and Range of Smart Features,
LG’s 2014 Smart+ TV Lineup Enjoys Critical and Commercial Success

SEOUL, June 2, 2014 — LG Electronics (LG) announced that more than one million units of its webOS-enabled Smart+ TVs have been sold since the launch of the lineup in March. Featuring an intuitive user experience unmatched by any smart TV platform on the market today, LG expects sales to reach 10 million units by the first half of 2015.

“Reaching the one million mark in just three months is a significant achievement in the TV industry,” said In-kyu Lee, senior vice president and head of the TV division at the LG Electronics Home Entertainment Company. “Rather than continuing to add more and more functions into our smart TVs that few people will ever use, we’ve decided to focus on simplicity with our 2014 Smart+ TVs with webOS. Consumers seem to share our view that this is the right direction for the evolution of smart TVs going forward.”

LG is quickly rolling out its Smart+ TV models globally and expects to be in over 150 markets by the end of the month. The company will also expand the presence of LG Smart+ TV Experience Zones in a number of major consumer electronics retail locations to give more consumers the opportunity to experience the convenience and unmatched simplicity offered by LG’s Smart+ TVs. The new TVs have captured the consumer’s imagination with LG’s focus on simplifying the user experience with Simple Switching, Simple Discovery and Simple Connection.

LG Smart+ TVs have earned the official stamp of approval from international product testing and certification organizations Underwriters Laboratories and Intertek. Both of these influential bodies — as well as most industry media titles — have positively noted LG’s ultra-convenient user interface as being a significant evolution in the development of smart TVs.

LG Newsroom
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2014, 10:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xadion View Post
Hehe I want netflix for my touchpad!
Easily done... just get ACL.

Old 06/03/2014, 05:23 PM   #20 (permalink)

There would be a 1,000,001 sales if they'd just release the blasted TV here in Canada!
richip is offline   Reply With Quote